GreenishLady

Originally Blogging the Artist's Way. Thoughts, musings, experience of the 12-week course, January to March 2006. And after that?.... Life, creativity, writing. Where does it all meet? Here, perhaps.

Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Poetry Thursday. What an image prompts

Poetry Thursday's (completely and totally optional) suggestion this week is that we write a poem inspired by an image, and post the photo which prompted the poem. OK. I took the challenge, and decided to go to the photos I've taken over the past few months, select one without giving it too much thought, and see what it would prompt. This is the image I chose:



.........................................Under the Rainbow

................................This is what fell to earth for you, my sister:
................................All the wishes you have sent into the sky,
................................night wishes and wishes whispered;
................................wishes I was sending with you too.

................................Look what landed outside your window,
................................Sister. Look at the wealth winter brought.
................................Across the long shadow of a January day
................................colour dropped, and its echo, and the echo
................................again – Brightness for you.

................................Mine are the echoes of the echo. Mine are the
................................little rainbows that come into my room, now,
................................on the eve of a new year, as spring turns
................................round. Through the prism of one joy-tear.

................................This is what falls to earth for you, my sister:
................................every smile you have given out, every kindness
................................you have offered, your goodness returned.
................................Love has come to find you. Love.

----------------------------------------------------------------

I took that photo from my sister's living-room window in January. She's just become engaged, and this poem is to celebrate that and her birthday this week... She's the friend of my heart, my companion through life in many ways. We are 15 months apart, and have shared a great deal of the ups and downs in life. So, here's another view from A's window. Can you make out that that is a double rainbow? It was!

For more image-ispired poems, go to Poetry Thursday.

Labels: , ,

16 Comments:

At 22/3/07 12:38 am, Blogger Amber said...

Yes, I see it! How beautiful. I love your poem, so full of love. :)

:)

 
At 22/3/07 10:56 am, Blogger Beaman said...

A lovely poem for a beautiful picture. I used to live in central Wales and saw many wonderful rainbows arching over the hills and fields from my window. Well written.

 
At 22/3/07 3:03 pm, Blogger Crafty Green Poet said...

I see the double rainbow too! Lovely to write a poem for your sister, I'm sure she's delighted!

 
At 22/3/07 3:05 pm, Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

The love for your sister out shines the double rainbow (gorgeous). Selfless love...beautiful! Lucky pair!

 
At 22/3/07 4:10 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

I very much enjoyed the variations in pace you created through the different sentence lengths. I think the final word is particularly powerful and somehow non-cliched, because of the way you've set it up. It can be taken in so many ways (echo, term of affection, imperative... ), so it opens up rather than closes the poem.

 
At 22/3/07 5:25 pm, Blogger T.M.K. said...

"Through the prism of one joy-tear"
absolutely lovely. double rainbows are highly auspicious. such a touching tribute.

 
At 22/3/07 5:36 pm, Blogger Regina said...

Oh, I so so loved this! How heartfelt! I loved the line, "my echoes are the echo of the echo"... just a beautiful poem for you sister!
I love double rainbows too! Great picture taking here!

 
At 22/3/07 7:07 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed this! It is very uplifting and filled with sisterly love ;)

 
At 22/3/07 8:07 pm, Blogger strauss said...

How positively lovely. How I wish I had a sister!

 
At 22/3/07 11:09 pm, Blogger Norma said...

What a lovely tribute to your sister. This reminds me of a sermon I heard once about prayers for children and grandchildren gently falling and returning from heaven on them like a soft rain.

My PT is up. http://collectingmythoughts.blogspot.com/2007/03/poetry-thursday-12-todays-challenge-is.html

 
At 22/3/07 11:22 pm, Blogger Tinker said...

A double rainbow! How magical! These beautiful image(s) inspired a lovely tribute to your sister. What a sweet, loving sister you are! Hope she has a wonderful birthday.

 
At 22/3/07 11:57 pm, Blogger Pauline said...

Your poem is the perfect medium for your thoughts - a beautiful read

 
At 23/3/07 8:21 am, Blogger carole said...

I love rainbows!

 
At 23/3/07 4:01 pm, Blogger gautami tripathy said...

I can feeel thel ove in your poem for your sister. Beautiful rainbow(s).



gautami
Soul

 
At 25/3/07 11:49 am, Blogger Kay Cooke said...

Rainbows are special. I often see one just when I need to know that all is well and there is something good ahead. Just like for you and your sister. Beautiful words in the poem you wrote for your sister. Made me smile.

 
At 25/3/07 10:50 pm, Blogger daringtowrite said...

I love this sister blessing and the sister rainbows.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home