GreenishLady

Originally Blogging the Artist's Way. Thoughts, musings, experience of the 12-week course, January to March 2006. And after that?.... Life, creativity, writing. Where does it all meet? Here, perhaps.

Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Hello Amaryllis

I've been enjoying the wonderful spectacle of emerging amaryllis flowers from a bulb my sister brought with her for my birthday in December. The flower-heads are so heavy, without support, the stalks can just snap off - but when that happened to one of the stalks, I got to enjoy the flowers in two rooms - one bunch in my living-room, and the other in a vase on the kitchen table.




When I read Fran's post about her beautiful amaryllis and the lessons she has learnt from watching it grow, I was reminded of my first encounter with these remarkable plants. After a summer working in Holland, one of the parting gifts my summer-boyfriend gave me was a huge, ugly bulb, with no wrapping, no indication as to what it should look like. Of course, it wasn't strictly legal to bring it back into Ireland, but I did nevertheless. I followed his instructions, and the amazement with which my family and I watched the burgeoning flower was incredible. They are commonplace now, but then they were something unknown in these parts, and it was such a wonderful gift.
This is such a wonderful gift. I just want to say Hello to my amaryllis. Hello to Spring. The weekend was about Goodbyes. This is Hello.

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

At 7/2/07 1:02 am, Blogger Endment said...

It must be that time of year... I have been watching buds push up on my Amaryllis... The stalk grows taller every day and I am awaiting the blooms.

Lovely post

 
At 7/2/07 8:05 am, Blogger Kay Cooke said...

This reminds me of one of my favourite poets - Diane Wakoski. The book of hers I have has a photo of an amaryllus on the cover. And she writes of them as well. Beautiful flowers - so striking. Announcing, Here I am!

 
At 7/2/07 11:16 am, Blogger Lillie said...

Hello to spring. And lemon and cream and light and freshness. Isn't it wonderful what flowers do for us?

 
At 7/2/07 2:24 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Greenish Lady
These photos are beautiful and loving. I had an amaryllis in my house last year. It was pure magic to watch it unfold. How did I forget to buy one this year?

 
At 7/2/07 5:01 pm, Blogger Deirdre said...

My first amaryllis was a gift too. I had no idea how beautiful they could be, like a promise fulfilled.

 
At 8/2/07 6:37 am, Blogger Amber said...

very very pretty!

I can't wait for flowers to come...

:)

 
At 9/2/07 12:50 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The amaryllis are gorgeous--and thanks for mentioning mine. My own five blossoms from one bulb are beginning to slightly fade and I am aware of the cycles of birth and death--but reminded that these cycles are not tragic. They just are.

 
At 11/2/07 1:10 pm, Blogger GreenishLady said...

testing comment function.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home