GreenishLady

Originally Blogging the Artist's Way. Thoughts, musings, experience of the 12-week course, January to March 2006. And after that?.... Life, creativity, writing. Where does it all meet? Here, perhaps.

Sunday, September 23, 2007

Sunday Scribbling: Hi. My name is...

Hi. My name is Imelda. We were offered the chance to introduce ourselves, or anyone or anything else we felt like, and part of me said "No, keep yourself out of it", but then it struck me that people drop in here to read one post at a time, and many of you haven't been with me from the beginning of my blog in January 2006. Even those who have, never got a proper introduction. They have learnt bits and pieces about me in a piecemeal fashion, and perhaps they don't know some of the things that friends IRL (in real life) learn as a matter of course.

My name is Imelda, and I avoided using it for a long time after I'd started my blog. I went by GreenishLady because I'm Irish (green... see?), and I like to do what I can to look after the environment (if you don't count driving a big petrol-thirsty car, and air travel - Hence, the "ish"), and when I began to blog, I felt totally uneducated, quite.... Green. Lately, I've realised that many online names with "lady" in them are held by people whose behaviour would be considered anything but ladylike. See... I was quite naive and green in my choice of name! And in real life, I'd rather be called a woman than a lady, but I liked the ring of GreenishLady.

At a party or social gathering, I dread that question: Tell me about yourself! What? What do you want to know? Do you want to know whether I'm gaining or losing weight? How many siblings I have? Where I'd go if I got in my car to go for a half-hour drive? An hour? A day away?

[Neither gaining nor losing. Stuck and likely to stay 40 lbs overweight unless I do something serious, systematic and sensible about it soon:

4 siblings - 2 sisters, 2 brothers, all of whom I'm on good terms with, each of whom offer something special to my life. I feel blessed in the family I've come from:

Half-hour from me is a long beach, with the bonus of a walk through woodland on the way back, so that's where I'd go within a half-hour drive (if I didn't choose to go up to Grianan of Ailleach, an ancient fort, from which the views are spectacular, and where an atmosphere of peace pervades the stones):

An hour away, I'd go to Glenveagh National Park. Mountains, lake, castle, gardens, heather, and the chance to spot a golden eagle; I might drive the back road by Muckish mountain to Falcarragh, travel back through Dunfanaghy.

A day... Too many places to choose from. But the Giant's Causeway calls me at times of sorrow. It gives me a sense of being a small part of a large world, makes me feel that time goes on, goes on, and that everything passes, even sorrows. So today, if I didn't have other plans, that's probably where I would have gone.]

Random facts about me:
I'll be 50 in December. I'm a Sagitarrian. Or else I'm of that sign the name of which I can't remember... (is it Ophiucus?).

I'm the mother of a 21-year-old son, whose privacy I protect here by not naming him, and making only glancing references to him, although he is the most important person in my life (I am immensely proud of the man he has grown into).

After 19 and a half years of marriage, my husband and I separated 4 and a half years ago. I call him my erstwhile husband, my former husband, but as we are not divorced, not my ex-husband (I know, I know... semantics).

I weep easily and frequently. I've just, just, two days ago, lost my dear little dog, Trixie (I say lost. I had to have her put to sleep. I say put to sleep. I mean put down. I am heartbroken).

[I probably shouldn't write when I'm feeling like that. ]

I love to travel. And I've only just gotten started. I've loved Israel, France, Lanzarote, Italy, Scotland... but the surprising, the unexpected love-affair that started last year is with California.

I've done The Artist's Way (following Julia Cameron's 12-week course) twice. In 1998, and again in 2006 along with an online group, (which was how this blog came into being). It was a life-changing experience both times. I credit it with my present work (in all its forms - paid and unpaid), my writing, the publication of my poetry collection; with the broadening and deepening of my experience of the world.

I don't usually write in my blog about my spiritual / religious life. I've been a Baha'i since my teens, and still, though many people want to know what that means, I'm always concerned that they'll think I'm trying to push my beliefs on them. But this is not just an important part of my life. It is the foundation, the rock on which I stand. When everything else moves and shifts, my faith is a comfort. and a sustenance. My community (to which I seldom refer here either) are a family around me. I've been over 30 years trying to develop and maintain a daily practice of prayer, of meditation, of saying the name of God 95 times, and it's a cyclical thing, to which I return over and over again. I know when I am in the habit of doing these things, I feel centred, I know what's important, and yet, I can allow the details of life to distract me, allow me to slip, to forget, until I come back, I come back, and there I find Him, waiting for me. Constant.

I watch too much TV. I promise not to, but I get sucked into Big Brother. I watch Supernanny, Grey's Anatomy, Lost, silly comedies. I no longer watch any soap operas (which doesn't count for much, since I replaced them with cookery programs, gardening programs, househunt programs...)

After my marriage ended, I took a long time to clear my home of my erstwhile husband's belongings, to repaint and refloor, to replace old furniture. It's been done, though, gradually, painfully, to the point where there are a few small remaining tasks, and by Christmas, it will be complete.

I buy art. Not big, expensive art, but it feels like such a luxury to see a piece and decide "I am worth it. I have a right to surround myself with beautiful, soul-nourishing art", and to buy it. The day before Trixie died, I bought a piece by a local young artist, to be a comfort and a reminder. During my marriage, it would have been considered a frivolous waste of money, and I relish the freedom to do this now.

----------------------------------
Friends, I am afraid I've given you scattered glimpses yet again. To introduce oneself is a difficult thing. I'm Imelda, and I want to know about you. I'm looking forward to going through the Sunday Scribblings list and meeting some new friends, and getting to know something more about friends I've already encountered here. But if you have questions, feel free. I'll see if I can answer!

Labels: , ,

24 Comments:

At 23/9/07 11:03 am, Blogger Cherie said...

Dear Greenish.... we have lots in common, your honest and open intro is fabulous! Your comment on mine ... yes you got it, it was all sadness! Thank YOU!

 
At 23/9/07 2:03 pm, Blogger Jo said...

You sound like just the sort of person I thought you were on a very short acquaintance! And I can't believe you live near the Giant's Causeway.....I have always loved that story. My family are from Ireland a couple of generations back. Moylans from Roscommon and Doyles from Dundalk. See now you know something more about me too!

 
At 23/9/07 2:42 pm, Blogger Jack Greening said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 23/9/07 2:48 pm, Blogger Jack Greening said...

Sorry about that. Let me try this again. I loved your story and I certainly intend on looking closer at your blog because of it. Buying Art because your worth it? Why would people believe otherwise. I buy flowers for my wife for no reason at all other then she appreciates them. Many people think that this is frivilous and a waste of money because they don't last. The look on her face when she gets them lasts forever.

 
At 23/9/07 4:48 pm, Blogger Crafty Green Poet said...

I'm sorry about Trixie, we lost our rabbit recently and yes we're heartbroken too.

I love Giant's Causeway!

 
At 23/9/07 4:50 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I liked knowing a litlle bit more about you. And sorry about trixie.

 
At 23/9/07 7:43 pm, Blogger Becca said...

I enjoyed finding out more about you :) Feels as if we've sat down over a cup of tea - how nice!

I'm hoping you are finding your way out of the sadness...it takes a while, I know.

 
At 23/9/07 8:18 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you did that. I love the reasons behind 'GreenishLady'. And I want to live where you live.

You've inspired me to try the Soul Collage cards - but I haven't blogged about it yet, cause I'm struggling with following thru with what I say I will, so mouth shut!

 
At 23/9/07 11:55 pm, Blogger Lila Rostenberg said...

You write beautifully! Sharing yourself with the world is not easy! Congratulations on being able to nurture your soul by buying art! I envy your getting to travel....[oooops! Of the "7 deadly sins", only ENVY is absolutely no fun at all!!!]
Hugs!

 
At 24/9/07 3:04 am, Blogger Julie said...

Hi, Imelda,

I feel that I know you so much better now. And as I said recently, I love putting the name "Imelda" together with Greenish Lady.

Please, please email me the information about obtaining your book.

Oh, I hope you never again feel guilty about buying a piece of art or anything you consider beautiful.

Hugs,

Julie

 
At 24/9/07 3:50 am, Blogger Amber said...

I like finding new things about a friend. :) Like I did not know he was not an "Ex". I like what you call him. lol

I am so happy you loved California. It is beautiful, isn't it? I hope next time you will tell me if we can meet up! ;)

I have been thinking of you. I send love.

 
At 24/9/07 5:49 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel like we know each other more...well, more...like a very delightful first coffee date! What a great post. (And I am so sorry about your Trixie.)

 
At 24/9/07 11:19 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice to learn more about you ... i love the 'green-ish' title .. i think of myself like that when it comes to the environment - i 'try' but i don't think i'll ever be able to be totally green !!

 
At 24/9/07 2:53 pm, Blogger Gill said...

A lovely post full of interesting bits and pieces, thanks so much for sharing! I'm so sorry about Trixie.

 
At 24/9/07 3:42 pm, Blogger harmonyinline said...

You have my sympathy I am so sorry to hear about Trixie.

 
At 25/9/07 3:01 am, Blogger Just Jinny said...

It's very nice to meet you, Imelda (I think that name is lovely, by the way). Your words put a beautiful sound in my head, an irish lilt.

 
At 25/9/07 10:08 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's a wonderful honor to have met you on-line, and to continue to get to know you, as I catch whatever glimpses of you, that you care to share. I don't think I realized till now, that we're only about a month apart in age (my 50th is in January).

Visiting the Giant's Causeway sounds like a beautiful, healing day trip.
Please be gentle with you, dear cyber-friend - having been there myself, I think no matter how much we may think we're prepared for such losses, that they don't hurt any less, and grieving takes time. The heart doesn't differentiate between whether our companions have fur or not - they're still our family in our heart. Sending you many ((hugs)) and wishes for healing. xox

 
At 26/9/07 2:23 am, Blogger Tumblewords: said...

I'm so glad to meet you GreenishLady! I've been watching your blog since I found it and would like to say how much I admire your writing!

 
At 26/9/07 3:49 am, Blogger Unknown said...

It's good to be reintroduced to you, Imelda. How are you feeling today?

 
At 29/9/07 12:59 am, Blogger Melanie Margaret said...

I saved this post until I had a moment to really read it and not just skim it through because I really wanted to read about you. and now I feel like I know you a bit more.
I am sorry about Trixie.
It was lovely to learn more about you.
XO,
melba
p.s.
I love your blog name :)

 
At 16/4/08 12:12 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the way your writing flows from one idea to another. I am looking forward to reading more.

 
At 28/8/09 11:10 am, Blogger Inner Artist said...

Ah, having just found this other blog of yours, I see you ARE Imelda and it's YOU who's going to be teaching the SoulCollage facilitator's course in Ireland! You write beautifully and it was nice to learn more about you. I'm sad for you about the loss of your little friend, Trixie - although that was a while ago, I'm sure you still miss her every day. She must be a powerful little soul to have had her own blog! How many dogs get to have their thoughts heard all around the world?

 
At 28/8/09 11:17 am, Blogger Inner Artist said...

Oh, I forgot - it's essential to nurture our spirit by surrounding ourselves with beauty that makes our soul sing, so enjoy that art! Also, you are supporting an artist who most likely needs the money. It's all about keeping that energy moving!

 
At 2/9/09 11:06 am, Blogger Inner Artist said...

Hello Greenish Lady and thanks for your comments. I'm not sure why, out of all the blogs I look at, yours drew me in and enticed me to comment. Perhaps it was this poetic phrase: "Grainnan of Ailleach.....where an atmosphere of peace pervades the stones". Perhaps it's my Celtic heritage or because you quoted a John O'Donohue poem. Perhaps it's because you're also a lover of SoulCollage and Librarything. Perhaps it's because you just sound like a lovely down-to-earth person. Jo

 

Post a Comment

<< Home