GreenishLady

Originally Blogging the Artist's Way. Thoughts, musings, experience of the 12-week course, January to March 2006. And after that?.... Life, creativity, writing. Where does it all meet? Here, perhaps.

Thursday, September 13, 2007

Thursday Travelling Poetry Show: Rainbow Revelation

The theme suggested for this week's Travelling Poetry Show was to Confront The Fear.

Delia said: "Is there a form that frightens you? Try it. Does the idea of submitting a piece of your writing to a publication make your heart pound? Go for it anyway and be sure to share about it. Is it time you had a creative "coming-out" with that friend of yours or the boss at work? Give them one of your poems to read, go ahead...I dare you! Is reading aloud what makes you weak in the knees? Find a group to read to and face that anxiety head-on. Are you apprehensive about reading certain poets...crack the spine on that book anyway and see what lessons might be waiting for you there..."

I would like to share with you a piece from Yoko Ono's Rainbow Revelation, which I first read in the collection of essays edited by Eddie and Debbie Shapiro called
The Way Ahead - A Visionary Perspective for the New Millenium. Yoko Ono says:
----

........Bless you for your fear for it is a sign of wisdom
........Do not hold yourself in fear.
........Transform the eneregy to flexibility and you will
........be free from what you fear.

When I searched for the full text online of Rainbow Revelation, I found that part of it is now song lyrics. I've never heard her perform it. Have you? In the book, there are 10 verses (1 page) of what she says was originally a 100-page document. A few other verses:

Bless you for your anger for it is a sign of rising energy.
Direct not to your family, waste not on your enemy.
Transform the energy to versatility and it will bring you
prosperity.

Bless you for your sorrow for it is a sign of vulnerability.
Share not with your family, direct not to yourself.
Transform the energy to sypathy and it will bring
you love.

Bless you for your greed for it is a sign of great capacity.
Direct not to your family. Direct not to the world.
Transform the energy to giving Give as much as you wish
to take, and you will receive satisfaction....

----------------------------------------------

Time has been more scarce than I'd have liked this week. I know now that I'm not going to get around to writing anything in a "frightening" form. I've tried villanelles, sestinas, sonnets in the past. I do very badly with them. And I know I won't do any better if it just stays at that. So sometime I will come back to formal poetry and stay with it - get through the barrier of fear of doing something really schlocky and predictable and be willing to do it anyway.

I took part in a reading to launch a big community festival this week. But that's not something new to me. It was among poets I know and respect. My work was well-received, so I can't claim to have faced any of my fears in doing that.

What frightens me? Well, here's something that makes me nervous. Some time ago, a friend suggested that a good way to market poetry might be to print it up very nicely on parchment, decorate it, and sell a "limited edition" of perhaps 25 signed copies of a single poem (ooh, my stomach is scrunching up right now thinking about it). Well, I'm going to float the idea. I'm not offering to sell these to you, my dear blog-friends, but asking your opinion of the idea. Would people want to have such a thing? If I decide to make some up ... say next week, and offer them to some of you (randomly chosen) as a gift on the occasion of my 200th post on this blog (which will, coincidentally happen sometime next week), would those whose names come out of the hat give me honest feedback on them?

Ok. I did something scary. It's out there.
-----------------------------------

The Travelling Poetry Show has set up camp this week with Carolee, the Polkadot Witch. Pull in and sit round the fire a while. Tell us what scares you in poetry.

Labels: , ,

14 Comments:

At 13/9/07 8:13 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yoko Ono sure is one tough lady. For her to carry on the legacy of Lennon alone show how she's is one lady that does not know the meaning of fear.

Now, your friend's idea does make a lot of sense. In Japan, a lot of todays well known manga artist started by selling their their art just like that at conventions and the internet, which enables them to be noticed and became famous. I guess what matters is the quality of the content.
I wouldn't mind doing it like that too.

 
At 13/9/07 9:29 am, Blogger Jo said...

I think that is a great idea and I would be deeply honoured to go in a hat like that........though I am only a lover of poetry, not an expert LOL. This is where I envy those of you who can illustrate your words -- it makes for such a more powerful experience......I'm a over-big head on stick legs kind of girl.

 
At 13/9/07 1:23 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had read not read Yoko Ono before this. It is perfect for the theme. Very thoughtful.

 
At 13/9/07 1:29 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it sounds like a good idea to try. I'd certainly want to toss my name in the hat!

 
At 13/9/07 2:41 pm, Blogger paisley said...

this is my first yoko straight poetry experience,, and i must say in all honesty it doesn't do much more for me than her singing voice...

however,, if you really are going to print and distribute your work,,, i would certainly like an opportunity to have some of that....

 
At 13/9/07 3:49 pm, Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

Yoko Ono wrote powerful words. I think your idea would be terrific and I would LOVE one!

XXOO

 
At 13/9/07 7:15 pm, Blogger Tumblewords: said...

Hmm. A broadside. Some of the famous poets on Poetry.org issue their poetry like that. And their poetry has nothing on yours! I say, yes! Go for it! I'd like to be in the hat, too!

 
At 13/9/07 7:20 pm, Blogger Jessica said...

I liked your post and the idea of what scares you. Us poets have to make money somehow, and broadsides I think are an excellent way to do so. I have a broadside hanging above my writing desk at home, as does my husband over his. I say go for it!

 
At 13/9/07 7:28 pm, Blogger Kara said...

Imelda, thank you for sharing Yoko Ono. I'd never seen that before and it was just what I needed today.
I am not an expert on poetry. I know I love reading your poetry. I know I've bought and have hanging on my wall a poem that was printed and hand painted by a local poet. I could send you a photo.
In my very unexpert(is that even a word?) humble opinion, I think that if you offered your poetry in this way it may be a success. I think it is great you are exploring the idea. If you think I could help you then please drop my name in your hat.

 
At 13/9/07 8:04 pm, Blogger Carolee said...

Thanks for putting this out there. i'm always willing to work with someone on their poetry and always willing to have someone critique mine. i think we learn from both and get better. if you need me, let me know. this is the exact reason jill and i have started the critique blog ... so people can pop in and get feedback without being shy about asking. thanks for taking that risk!

 
At 14/9/07 3:20 pm, Blogger Julie said...

Yes, put me in the drawing. I would love to see one of your poems in this form.

I, too, am approaching my 200th post, and am having a giveaway, but nothing so fine as a poem, just some things I bought!

Julie

 
At 14/9/07 4:10 pm, Blogger Amber said...

I do think that is a super idea. I love to frame words. Words are art and power. I love the idea of reading the same words everyday on ones wall, and having them speak to you depending on where you are that day emotionally.

I think people would buy them. Like art.

:)

 
At 15/9/07 3:58 am, Blogger daringtowrite said...

Please count me in Imelda, if my help would be useful to you. I'd be honoured to be a part of your creative process.

 
At 17/9/07 4:34 pm, Blogger Deirdre said...

I think it's a wonderful idea. I'm not sure how much I'd be worth for feedback - poetry intimidates the heck out of me - but I'd be willing to try.

I've not read anything by Yoko Ono before, but I like this and will look for more.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home