GreenishLady

Originally Blogging the Artist's Way. Thoughts, musings, experience of the 12-week course, January to March 2006. And after that?.... Life, creativity, writing. Where does it all meet? Here, perhaps.

Thursday, February 01, 2007

Poetry Thursday: Mathematics

Mathematics

Age 5, he knew what Y should equal.
Instinct, or the X that was his father,
(the accountant) gave him a certainty.

I thought it was wrong –
setting a question like that to my baby –
until he answered, unerringly.

He wanted more.
More of those X and Y puzzles.
It was as amusing as a two-year old

who could say Pterodactyl
or name olives in Arabic. My boy
the mathematician.

And when we told him
we were dividing the sum of us,
back into its constituent parts,

My single self and his father’s:
he knew then, as he always had,
that nothing would be lost.

He holds the A, the B, the C
of us, carries it on, adds his own numbers,
Headed towards infinity.

__________________________________
I wouldn't have believed that I could write a poem with Maths as a theme. I didn't do exactly what Poetry Thursday asked of us, but it's something. If you want to find some equations and poetic proofs go HERE

Labels:

15 Comments:

At 1/2/07 7:45 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a wonderful poem. He sounds like a sweet boy. Thanks for sharing.

Rose

 
At 1/2/07 7:53 pm, Blogger Natalie said...

Pretty good considering you've never written a 'mathematical' poem before. I really enjoyed reading it, your very clever son..

 
At 1/2/07 9:24 pm, Blogger twilightspider said...

"And when we told him
we were dividing the sum of us,
back into its constituent parts"

This is the math of love and of life. So perfectly stated. And the conclusion of the boy - amazing.

 
At 1/2/07 10:36 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love, love love this one. I could almost say the same of my son.

 
At 2/2/07 12:08 am, Blogger Tinker said...

Not being mathematically inclined, I couldn't quite see how to tie poetry together with math - but yours is a lovely illustration of the concept in action - Well done, Imelda.

 
At 2/2/07 12:08 am, Blogger Joyce Ellen Davis said...

Fantastic use of the prompt--excellent poem. I loved the naming of the olives, and well, all of it. So well said!

 
At 2/2/07 1:57 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love how you cover this topic with math and with the perspective of a precocious little boy. from the mouths of babes!

 
At 2/2/07 2:43 am, Blogger Jessica said...

this is really bittersweet. I love the precociousness of the child and the gravity of the situation he has to adapt to.

 
At 2/2/07 3:33 am, Blogger Unknown said...

This is beautiful. The math of divorce.

 
At 2/2/07 4:28 am, Blogger Regina said...

So bittersweet... a very heartfelt poem today... thanks, GreenishLady.

 
At 2/2/07 8:57 am, Blogger Kay Cooke said...

I loved reading this - what an amazing child - don't they make your heart just burst? Well-put - it's a wonderful poem. I love the voice in it. Nothing is over stated either. It's a pleasure to read.

 
At 2/2/07 9:30 am, Blogger Crafty Green Poet said...

a wise and clever boy.

 
At 2/2/07 8:22 pm, Blogger Amber said...

This is wonderful and touching!

:)

 
At 3/2/07 12:07 pm, Blogger gautami tripathy said...

This is as good as any maths problem! or solution!

gautami.
Do chk my post...Straight Curves.

 
At 5/2/07 7:03 am, Blogger Unknown said...

Great job! I really liked it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home