GreenishLady

Originally Blogging the Artist's Way. Thoughts, musings, experience of the 12-week course, January to March 2006. And after that?.... Life, creativity, writing. Where does it all meet? Here, perhaps.

Sunday, December 03, 2006

Sunday Scribblings: The Last Hour

The last hour has seen twilight fall, slip in to cover my garden with the grey veil of evening before the afternoon’s half-way over. It has seen the rain abate and return, abate and return in full force, carried on the howling wind that sweeps around the gable, whips the shrubs and trees into a new December dance.

This hour – in a winter Sunday afternoon – has been one of chocolate and coffee, of yesterday’s newspapers scattered on the kitchen table. It has been a time of wandering the house, still in pyjamas and dressing-gown, plans for a shower – later, later – and touching new things. Soft pink scarf and gloves, the petals of white lilies, the dull brass of the Tibetan singing-bowl my sister brought, the smooth wood of the stick with which the sound is drawn out of the bowl.

This last hour has seen moments of nostalgia dismissed, and moments of maybes fostered. These last minutes of this last hour see me at my table, the dog settled on the rocking-chair, the fridge humming and the boiler doing its heat-up, click-off, heat-up, click-off magic that keeps me warm and cosy inside, while the blue-tits outside fluff their feathers when they come for peanuts and a share of the greasy fat-ball I hung just the other day.

The last hour has been a lazy hour, an hour of awareness of a class to prepare for tomorrow night, a letter to complete, forms to fill in. They’ll all wait to tomorrow. This hour has been one I will forget. Not the hour in which major decisions were reached, or any thought has been followed to a conclusion. It’s been a drifting, moodling hour, the hour in which I put away the dishes used for my birthday supper, washed Kathryn’s plate, sorted my socks and put on a load of laundry. The bowl of dusty stones I carried from the living-room still wait to be washed at the kitchen sink.

And the twilight deepens, and the hour I write of recedes. A gust from the east blows the last of the leaves from my neighbour’s birch across my garden. The animal of the wind waves its arms through my berberis and forsythia. I gather some warm towels, soft fresh clothes. Now I’m ready to go shower, get ready to leave my little nest for an evening meeting, glad to have reflected on the little pleasures and small, sacred things this hour has witnessed, glad now that I have had this hour.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

For more Sunday Scribblings on the theme of "The Last Hour" , go HERE

Labels: ,

12 Comments:

At 3/12/06 4:40 pm, Blogger Left-handed Trees... said...

Your words are absolutely radiant to me--this glimpse into your afternoon was so vibrant...I could "see" it.
--D.--

 
At 3/12/06 4:42 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a beautiful piece of writing. Never sentimental, never "precious". Thank you.

 
At 3/12/06 10:19 pm, Blogger paris parfait said...

Lovely glimpse into your hour and your afternoon.

 
At 4/12/06 4:11 am, Blogger Lucy said...

i could just see the papers on your table and feel the comfort of my pajamas, you write beautifully. thanks for visiting me, i will check out poetry thurs. thanks for the tip.

 
At 4/12/06 5:27 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What beautiful prose!

 
At 4/12/06 8:37 pm, Blogger Amber said...

Your writing is sooo amazing! I would read a book of it, anyday.

:)

 
At 4/12/06 9:59 pm, Blogger Deirdre said...

This is really lovely writing, a poetic description of an ordinary Sunday afternoon.

 
At 5/12/06 7:47 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the presence of the present (& presents?)in this. It is a gift - yours to us. Thank you for allowing us to share the moment/s.

 
At 5/12/06 11:58 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a lovely description of your last hour, and just being in the moment. This post felt so tranquil.
Hope your birthday was filled with happy moments!

 
At 5/12/06 11:36 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, an hour of chocolate and coffee? Pure bliss. I love those singing bowls...it was nice to enter your world for that hour!

 
At 6/12/06 12:04 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your scribbling was luscious...I wish that there had been chocolate and coffee in my last hour!

Thanks for the comment on my blog. I actually got the tattoo from a "Thank God It's Over" NaNo party. I picked up a few. It's starting to fade off of my arm...

Congrats to you for finishing, and happy b'day!

 
At 7/12/06 9:39 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wonderful. As usual. :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home