GreenishLady

Originally Blogging the Artist's Way. Thoughts, musings, experience of the 12-week course, January to March 2006. And after that?.... Life, creativity, writing. Where does it all meet? Here, perhaps.

Thursday, February 08, 2007

Poetry Thursday. Ch..ch..ch..ch....changes

Poetry Thursday have moved to their new site here. You have to check it out! The theme this week is Changes - being that there have been such changes in Poetry Thursday... and so on. For the past few weeks, I've taken the theme and dashed a 'top of the head' poem, a beginning, and I'm not sure whether it's laziness or bravery that has made me do that, posting something that in my notebook would be just a start, a jotting, but there is a sense of freedom in willingness to do that. In time to come, perhaps these pieces will become something else, but for now, here are my

Notes towards a poem on Changes


Out of the seed, the case, the shell,
out of the pupa, larva, chrysalis:
comes the bud, the sprout;
an emerging damp creature,
shaking sticky wings.

Unreeling bright petals
into the sunlight.

Out of the carapace of denial,
out of the place of ‘fine’,
out of the safety that is not safe,

out of the hiding-place that is open
to the world, she emerges.

Change’s necessary time is past,
time waiting in the cold,
time waiting for the flame that will burst
this case,
allow the beginnings of new growth,
the stretching of fragile wings.

----------------------------------------
Do click the link above to see what other participants have done with this week's theme.

Labels:

11 Comments:

At 8/2/07 4:26 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool - that already feels a lot like a poem, I like the rhythm of that first bit. I think polishing is a bit overrated in poems anyhow; I love seeing the raw stuff, tapping right into the wilder part of the mind.

 
At 8/2/07 6:30 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

I absolutely love this poetic expression of my everyday life:

"out of the place of ‘fine’,
out of the safety that is not safe"

You've put into word what I rarely can. Very nice!

 
At 8/2/07 9:31 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like it the way it is.

 
At 9/2/07 12:51 am, Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

That a wonderful poem! I could see it and enjoyed it :)

 
At 9/2/07 2:04 am, Blogger Emily said...

I like your repetition.

 
At 9/2/07 9:09 pm, Blogger twilightspider said...

I LOVE these lines:

"an emerging damp creature,
shaking sticky wings."

I want to grab them and hold them close and eye suspiciously anyone else who would want to read them. They're just so perfect.

 
At 10/2/07 12:27 am, Blogger Jessica said...

You have some very strong images here... I love the word carapace and the way that you use it. You capture that moment of emergence quite well.

 
At 10/2/07 12:30 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

'an emerging damp creature,
shaking sticky wings.

Unreeling bright petals
into the sunlight.'

I could see this so clearly with your words. Change may not be easy, but it can have some beautiful results...

 
At 10/2/07 5:03 am, Blogger gautami tripathy said...

I like the positive note of change in here. Great words and lovely poem.


gautami

Transposition.

 
At 10/2/07 8:56 am, Blogger Crafty Green Poet said...

Lovely image of metamorphosis.

 
At 10/2/07 5:40 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your poem hit me right between the eyes. It just expresses the changes going on in myself right now. I love the phrase, "Out of the place of 'fine'". So poignant. I have grown tired of telling people I'm fine so as not to make a fuss.

Your words are beautiful. Thank you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home