GreenishLady

Originally Blogging the Artist's Way. Thoughts, musings, experience of the 12-week course, January to March 2006. And after that?.... Life, creativity, writing. Where does it all meet? Here, perhaps.

Thursday, March 08, 2007

Poetry Thursday -- RED

I am so, so, so taken with the new Poetry Thursday site. The columnists have begun to show up, with words of wisdom, words of inspiration, words, words, words. I didn't think PT could get much more invigorating, and here it is, with daily doses of life. Exciting. Happy-making! Go check it out, not just on Thursdays, but as often as you think of it. You'll probably find something new there! Or, rather HERE

This week's (completely and totally optional) prompt was to go find what's red in the natural world. I've taken a slight liberty with the prompt, but am pleased to find that something current in my life fits for me. Here's my take on RED.


Natural Red

(for Nicola)

My niece has fire in her hair.
When she turns her head,
sparks light the dull March day.

I show her my home.
Her first visit, we drive
out into the hills.

She wants to see wild, and we find
mountain, rock, dead heather, and
red rust streaking through the hills

Trees that hold what’s dead,
hold it, as though there is heat
in that flame, as though the blanket

of last year’s spent needles, tawny
old-blood red will bring life again.
I’m sorry the day is so cold.

"Wrong time of year", I say,
she shakes her head No.
"I prefer red to green any day".

----------------------------------------

Find more Red things HERE

Labels: ,

15 Comments:

At 8/3/07 11:45 am, Blogger Clockworkchris said...

Wow, I have red hair and didn't think about this idea either. I love reading how everyone takes things so differently. Your neice is lucky, a females hair doesn't fall out (LOL). I love the "dead heather" and other ideas of what I think is Ireland.

 
At 8/3/07 12:51 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your niece sounds like a lovely and sensitive woman.

I love how she sees the red fire smoldering in the dead of winter, just waiting to burst into red flame once more.

Rose

xo

 
At 8/3/07 12:53 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for the glimpse into your world at rest. I love all the descriptions of the green world that is to come in spring.

 
At 8/3/07 5:42 pm, Blogger gautami tripathy said...

Beautiful last stanza!

 
At 8/3/07 7:13 pm, Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

That was lovely and the end was perfect. Well done!

 
At 8/3/07 7:51 pm, Blogger Emily said...

I always wanted red hair. I really liked your ending line.

 
At 8/3/07 10:05 pm, Blogger Natalie said...

I love the way you find red in so many of the things in this poem, while expressing it so subtly. It's soft and calm, soothing to read.

 
At 8/3/07 10:19 pm, Blogger rel said...

I'll just bet the red landscape complemented her hair and complexion beautifully. And now she has a beautiful poem from her aunt to remember her spring visit.
rel

 
At 9/3/07 12:14 am, Blogger Stick it in your eyes said...

Lovely landscape and relationship poem. Memorable.

 
At 9/3/07 2:37 am, Blogger wendy said...

in horse terms, they always say..."Beware the red mare" but your niece sounds like a keeper!

 
At 9/3/07 3:45 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the phrase "she wants to see wild." That is just lovely.

Glad you like Poetry Thursday. It makes me happy to hear you find it "happy-making." Don't get too excited, though. We're not posting on weekends, only Monday through Friday. ;)

My password so looks like a clinical bodily term, by the way: "vajmgsa"

 
At 11/3/07 2:52 am, Blogger Kimberley McGill said...

Delightful read. It's like looking at a picture.

 
At 11/3/07 8:44 am, Blogger Tinker said...

Lovely - my younger daughter's a redhead so I'm rather partial to them :-)
I love your description of the "sparks" lighting the dull day.

 
At 11/3/07 10:38 am, Blogger Kay Cooke said...

Oh yes, I love this so much! The descriptions of the landscape and then your neice's engagement with it - just lovely. Yay!!! (Red hair was something I thought about writing too, because my mother had red hair - Ooh! Now That's given me an idea. You have inspired me! Thank you Greenishlady.)

 
At 14/3/07 2:21 am, Blogger Kara said...

I do love reading your poetry....ah...
It made me think of the curious red color the juniper trees outside my home have turned. They kind of look dried and dead - but it is just the way they look as they prepare and release their pollen into the wind. It makes me sneeze but you've inspired me to look at them in a more poetic way and maybe my allergies won't seem so bad.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home