GreenishLady

Originally Blogging the Artist's Way. Thoughts, musings, experience of the 12-week course, January to March 2006. And after that?.... Life, creativity, writing. Where does it all meet? Here, perhaps.

Sunday, March 25, 2007

Sunday Scribblings - In The Kitchen

Sunday Scribblings has been running for a year! I haven't participated every week, but most weeks, if I've been about, I've tried to post something, and also tried to get to read some of the entries. As time's gone on, there have been more and more, and it hasn't always been possible, but I've met some marvellous people through this group and am hoping this just keeps running and running. Thanks to Meg and Laini for their dedication and hard work in maintaining the site, in coming up with inspiration to offer us and in encouraging writing in whatever form through the medium of something that is so simple and yet so profound in its effects for many of us. Thank you!
This week's prompt is In The Kitchen:
-------------------------------------------------------------------
In the kitchen… right now, disorder and mixtures of aromas. There’s the spice and heat of last night’s cooking. Black lentils and that new Tunisian courgette salad – Aljouk-al-Iforgetwhat. Tasty and sharp with feta crumbled on top. My hexagon-patch crocheted afghan is draped on a wooden frame to dry by the radiator. Two pairs of discarded shoes sit under the rocking-chair – one black, one beige. I am wearing tatty green slippers, with the shape of my feet in them, comfy slippers. Not elegant. The table has gathered the remains of Saturday’s Times, the bits I’ve already read and the bits I won’t read (sport, business). Unanswered letters keep a vase of chrysanthemums company at one end and advertising leaflets on their way to the bin somehow got waylaid here and are taking a rest along with the letters. The sink is (almost) empty, the cooker-top clear. There are no piles of books sitting anywhere, but a few stray boxes, candles, postcards have found their way to the counter, to join the fruit-platter (reduced now to apples and oranges: no banana, no pineapple, no pomegranate). The round gold papier-mache box that holds my angel-cards has one card on top – today’s choice, reminding me to be aware of “Responsibility”. Hmm.

The broken chairs have not yet been replaced, so the table is surrounded by a sorry collection, none of them reliable, and all destined for a visit to the recycling centre very, very soon. Two that were Nana’s, two that came with that ill-fated kitchen set eight years ago. I may tell that story another time, but not now.

The table likes its new position, the angled place we found for it after the new flooring was put in a few months ago. There’s a lovely clear triangle to walk about from sink to cooker to fridge, and there is a flow of air about the table. Here is a place to breathe, even if all is not ordered and clear right now. It’s become a manageable kitchen, a place I like, a room I enjoy working in. It’s mine. It no longer serves as office (despite the letters on the table). The rocking-chair is a spot for the dog to snooze on, rather than one for me to sit in while I read. Now that the house is mine to use as I wish, I read with no intrusion from TV or radio in the living-room whenever it suits me, or on the old couch in my study. The kitchen that once was my retreat, my domain, my sanctuary, is no longer a place in which I spend most of my day, but it is still the place I come home to. When I come home, that’s where I go first. It’s when I take my coat off, and switch shoes for slippers; plug in the kettle, there in my kitchen, that I feel myself to be really, completely, at home.

Labels: ,

17 Comments:

At 25/3/07 2:05 am, Blogger rel said...

GreenishLady,
What a warm, comfortable and inviting kitchen you have. It sounds quite lived in and beckons for a visit and a cup of tea and good conversation.
rel

 
At 25/3/07 2:22 am, Blogger Becca said...

I feel as if I'd be right at home in your kitchen. You've painted a lovely picture of a warm, lived in, inviting space.

My table is much like yours - it catches all the bits and pieces of my week!

I really enjoyed reading this -you made the room come alive.

 
At 25/3/07 3:52 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I could so picture myself sitting at your kitchen, drinking coffee and reading the paper...and scribbling and chatting. Lovely post.

 
At 25/3/07 6:37 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the description of your warm and inviting kitchen.

 
At 25/3/07 11:41 am, Blogger Caroline said...

Oh I can't wait to visit you and your kitchen - but I must warn you I broke someone else's unreliable chair last weekend... that was one of the downs I hinted at!

You have made your kitchen sound so very welcoming and also so very you.

 
At 25/3/07 11:51 am, Blogger Kay Cooke said...

Who needs pictures? Your words brought your kitchen right to me. Thanks for that - now I think I'll just sink into that comfy looking rocking chair - once that dog moves!

 
At 25/3/07 12:44 pm, Blogger Regina said...

I wish we had room for a kitchen table, but we have one of those galley kitchens where there is only a counter-top to eat at.
Your kitchen sounds so cozy and comfy, the way a kitchen should be!

 
At 25/3/07 4:28 pm, Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

You have painted a cozy sanctuary image, right down to your worn slippers.
Wonderfully written my friend!

 
At 25/3/07 4:47 pm, Blogger Amber said...

Your kitchen sounds cozy. But it is good it is not your only place of comfort or space, anymore. But i woudl like to see a picture of your little dog on the rocker. ;)

:)

 
At 25/3/07 4:59 pm, Blogger Claudia said...

Lovely, that´s just how I feel at the end of the day too.

 
At 25/3/07 5:34 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i really liked your post. your kitchen sounds lovely, especially with last night's spicy aromas lingering!

 
At 25/3/07 5:46 pm, Blogger paris parfait said...

Sounds like you have a lovely, cozy kitchen!

 
At 26/3/07 2:10 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I love this post - I feel almost as though I'm there with you, having a cup of tea and a chat. Thank you!

 
At 26/3/07 11:34 pm, Blogger Deirdre said...

It sounds like the perfect, inviting kitchen. And the evening routine of kettle and slippers is one that calls to me too.

 
At 28/3/07 4:10 am, Blogger Kimberley McGill said...

Great descriptions - felt like I was walking through your kitchen spade with you. I love my slippers too - they are going on 5 years old!

 
At 31/3/07 3:44 pm, Blogger Kara said...

Hi Greenishlady - I feel as if I am right there with you. Love the way you can write a description and it evokes so much imagery from the reader.

 
At 1/4/07 1:44 am, Blogger daringtowrite said...

I'm comforted by your kitchen, too. Thanks for sharing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home