GreenishLady

Originally Blogging the Artist's Way. Thoughts, musings, experience of the 12-week course, January to March 2006. And after that?.... Life, creativity, writing. Where does it all meet? Here, perhaps.

Sunday, May 17, 2009

Sunday Scribblings.... Disconnected

This week, the prompt at Sunday Scribblings is "Disconnected". Does it seem apt for me? Oh, yes! Does it strike me as odd that this week, of all weeks, such a prompt appears? Not at all. I often find the prompt that's offered at Sunday Scribblings is very strangely fitted to something going on in my life, just right at that time. Totally Connected, in fact!

So... the immediate link I made when I saw that word was with what's been happening with my laptop all week. Disconnected is the word! Last Sunday, it appeared to have lost all memory of me, to have disconnected from my life. It transpired, after some frantic messages to people who might know something about all this, that all the documents, photos, music that at first seemed to be GONE were actually still stored, but just in a back-room that took a bit of finding, and that couldn't be accessed straight-away on switching on the laptop. "Phew" I said. "First chance I get, I'm going to have someone look at this and sort it out for me"

That's a week ago. My computer is still disconnected from me. What's actually going on is that it won't hold my profile and settings, and has no knowledge when it's switched on, of what I want from it, so I have to teach it each time. It doesn't know I have a Skype account, and messages I sent disappear into the ether when I switch off.

No, I'm not going into all the details! Why haven't I had someone look at it? Life took over... a problem emerged with my car a couple of days later, so I got distracted with the more urgent task of finding a roadworthy replacement (which I've done, and for which I am very grateful, very thankful!) I wanted to go ahead with a planned outing on Friday with my friend, K, so I did, and so one of this week's tasks is to find someone to sort out the computer.

Disconnected? The word... That's its immediate association, but I'm actually also "connecting" to the opposite word. Connected. I can't help feeling that there's something in the fact that in one week, major faults emerged in machinery in my life... and the connection in terms of reason is that I'd neglected to follow up on minor, but irritating faults, didn't have them checked out, and then, major problems emerged.

Guess who's booking herself in for health and dental check-ups this week?

Get the connection?

For more stories of being Disconnected, go to Sunday Scribblings HERE
---------------------------------------------------

Edited, later to add: Some Sad News

When I went to the Sunday Scribblings page to add my link, I found the very sad news that Otto Smith, beloved husband of Phyllis (Sunday Scribblings regular contributor, Granny Smith), had died suddenly last week. I am so saddened by this news. Her love for him shone out in so much that she wrote. They have been a remarkable couple for many, many years, and it grieves my heart to think of her huge loss. On one Sunday Scribbling post, Phyllis shared a most beautiful poem of hers, The Old Lovers. I invite you to go and read it. It's at the end of this post, and it is a most delicate poem, expressing her feeling of dread at the parting that would come to them sometime, after their 68 years of marriage. In a post on "Trust", she wrote about her decision to marry Otto. That's HERE .

My prayers are for the eternal progress of his soul, and comfort and healing for Phyllis and her family.

Labels:

20 Comments:

At 17/5/09 3:18 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes, the "disconnectedness" is actually a big ole' HEEELLLLLOOOO from the universe saying pay ATTENTION! CONNECT!!! I like that idea! Thank you for sharing! -Meg

 
At 17/5/09 5:05 pm, Blogger danni said...

very skillful the way you joined disconnected with its antonym - a very clever post - it is such a terrible thing to hear about granny losing her lifemate, isn't it? --- the deeper you love the worse it hurts regardless that the good memories outweigh the bad - and i'm sure they were very very much in love!!!

 
At 18/5/09 1:36 am, Blogger Marguerite said...

Yes, I appreciate the way you moved from disconnection to connection. Very well done.

It was indeed sad to learn of Granny's loss. I am glad you linked to those posts about Otto--what a wonderful tribute to their lives together.

 
At 18/5/09 2:41 am, Blogger Tumblewords: said...

When events like this happen, I usually decide it's because Mercury is Retrograde. That's the connection/disconnection that keeps me going. Grin...
Yes, horribly sad for Phyllis. I cannot image how one fares after such a long love affair. Very nice of you to link to her earlier posts, as well. I hope she continues to blog.

 
At 18/5/09 2:49 am, Anonymous Auntie Q said...

"..neglected to follow up on minor, but irritating faults, didn't have them checked out, and then, major problems emerged." How true is that!

 
At 18/5/09 2:57 am, Blogger yyam said...

Sorry to hear about your "machinery" troubles. Hope they are worked out soon and you can get "connected" again.:)

Granny Smith's loss is a reminder to us to appreciate the connections we make everyday..Have a wonderful week ahead!

 
At 18/5/09 3:58 am, Blogger Amber said...

68 years! I can't even imagine the loss. Bless her heart. I will say a prayer for her peace to night. Thank you for passing this on...
It keeps us connected.

ox :)

 
At 18/5/09 11:09 am, Blogger Jean said...

Your post about "disconnection" touched me so much, then I went on to read about the sudden death of Otto. I will be keeping Granny Smith in my prayers. I imagine that through your posting, many people all over the world will also be holding her in prayer as she adjusts to a life without her dear partner.

Though your life sounds like it's loaded with "disconnects" right now, you've started a whole new connection of love for Granny Smith. What an amazing and inspiring woman!

 
At 18/5/09 4:29 pm, Blogger Karen said...

I don't always stop to comment, but I always enjoy your posts--they so often resonate with what's going on in my life--but I like the way you put it much better. Thank you.

And I'm so sad to hear about Otto...I'm off to visit Granny Smith and to offer my condolences.

 
At 18/5/09 10:41 pm, Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

When it rains it pours. :( I think of Granny every night. That loss is unimaginable.

Here's to better days! XXOO

 
At 19/5/09 6:07 am, Blogger floreta said...

i find the sunday scrib topics are of what i want to write about already or something related in my life as well! this week i actually wrote about disconnection before even checking the site. and then i heard about granny's news.. so sad. she and otto, thru her words, have been an inspiration and touched by many.

 
At 19/5/09 6:28 pm, Blogger La Belette Rouge said...

Disconnection is such a big issue. I think we all feel it. I know that when I lose my computer connection or my phone goes out of service I get so upset that it is clear that it is not just the phone or the computer I am upset about. Jung said that what remains unconscious manifests as fate. I suppose there are times when it is just about the internet service provider but other times I feel like I need to look at the metaphor of the loss.

You make a lovely connection in this post and you got me connected to the awareness that sometimes when my computer disconnects maybe I need to connect with people in my life. Thank you!!

I am so sorry to hear about Otto. My heart aches for her and for all who mourn Otto.

 
At 19/5/09 7:08 pm, Blogger Tammie Lee said...

Yes, so said about Otto. Granny shared so generously as to how grand a part of her life he was!

I love how you are letting the disconnections of life lead you to connecting. I will let you inspire me as well. Thank you.

 
At 20/5/09 2:02 am, Anonymous colleen said...

Love that synchronicity. I've been "disconnected" from Sunday Scribbling for a while now feeling like not wanting to be prompted.

 
At 21/5/09 12:32 am, Blogger Beth Camp said...

I hope your computer is all connected once again. You write so well of the metaphor being "disconnected" from self and others can be. Good for you for following up on that health check. I think so many of us were saddened to learn of Otto's death, for this is our "connectedness" -- this online community of writers gives and gives.

 
At 23/5/09 8:48 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i have been disconnected from everything internet related for half a year now. and hyper connected to flesh and bones and pen and crayons.
it's refreshing to be back to fingers on the keyboard and the sound of online playlists

 
At 25/5/09 11:52 am, Blogger Cait O'Connor said...

I have just found your blog quite by chance via looking up the wonderful poem that is Primo Levi's To My Friends.
What a treat, your blog is perfect for me and I shall be off to have a good read. And I will return.

 
At 29/5/09 6:44 pm, Blogger Nancy said...

I'm so sorry for the loss of Granny. I am new to reading your blog, but I could see this was very sad news.

I think if my computer went our on me I would be sad, and very disconnected. I would miss comments like yours, left on my blog. Thanks so much for visiting. I enjoyed reading yours very much. I couldn't find the widget to follow, however.

 
At 29/5/09 6:44 pm, Blogger Nancy said...

Whoops - I meant the loss of Granny's husband.

 
At 13/6/09 1:26 pm, Blogger inkberryblue said...

Yes, it does sound like the universe is giving you a nudge.

I'm very sorry for your friend's loss. I've put up a prayer for her.

...and thank you for visiting my blog. I followed your link and had a look at your hexagon blanket. It's beautiful! =]

 

Post a Comment

<< Home