GreenishLady

Originally Blogging the Artist's Way. Thoughts, musings, experience of the 12-week course, January to March 2006. And after that?.... Life, creativity, writing. Where does it all meet? Here, perhaps.

Sunday, May 10, 2009

computer crisis

Woke up this morning to a computer that doesn't remember me. I have no history here, it seems, no contacts, no documents, no pictures, no data. I've never registered for anything, .... have you ever been there?

I think the universe is repaying me for a claim I made yesterday of being "detached", not tied to things so much any more. I am being tested bigtime!

My biggest worry is email addresses... how do you reclaim them, find people again? There are people who were on my SoulCollage mailing list whose full names or postal addresses I don't know, and quite a few bloggers who don't show email addresses on their profiles but that I've been in touch with in the past.

OK. It's Sunday morning, and I don't know where to start finding help with this, but in the meantime, if you're someone I've been in touch with by email, will you email me again? It may be a while before I can even get back into my email account, but I'd appreciate having a place to start!

THANK YOU!

---------------------

UPDATE, a few hours later....

Phew... the data is still there, but so far the only way to get to it is by a back-door. It's a software problem, and a lesson to me (and maybe to you?) to follow my own advice and get external backup organised soon.

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 10/5/09 6:31 pm, Anonymous tinker said...

How frightening that must have been - so glad it really was all there, still! Thank you for the reminder to do back-up - I should really take the time to do that soon - and so many other things too...Have a wonderful Sunday - it's Mother's Day here - not sure if or when you might celebrate that there, but wishing you a Happy Mother's Day, anyway!

 
At 10/5/09 7:12 pm, Blogger Caroline said...

Scary - glad you have found everyone again!

 
At 10/5/09 10:08 pm, Blogger Judy Merrill-Smith said...

It's awful to have a computer on the fritz! I'm glad you can access what you need.

 
At 11/5/09 3:56 am, Blogger daringtowrite said...

Phew! Glad to hear you found your data. Yes, good to have reliable external backup.

I was using an online backup service when my computer crashed last year, but unfortunately I had not been paying enough attention as I lost a couple of months of email and document creation while my backups were failing. I also lost all my e-photos because the backup had not been set up properly in the first place.

Now I have my own external hard drive, but I still need to pay attention to be sure that it is doing its job. A couple of weeks ago I plugged in my new camera to one of the USB ports and inadvertently bumped my backup drive out of another USB port, so my backup software wasn't able to find it -- for over a week.

Must fix the settings so that an error message pops up in the middle of my screen when backups don't go as planned. In the meantime, I've been checking in the morning to ensure that the overnight backup was a success.

It's a good lesson in letting go to lose all or any of one's data, but who needs more letting go lessons than nature already provides?

 
At 12/5/09 6:36 pm, Blogger Tammie Lee said...

Ah, that is such a big scare, but it sounds as though you will get it fixed and back things up-smart move. I know so many folks that have lost everything on their computer. I wish you the best with this.

It does sound as though you can picture the fire situation in California, sad, eh!

 
At 14/5/09 2:17 am, Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

I'm backing my stuff up NOW. How scary!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home