GreenishLady

Originally Blogging the Artist's Way. Thoughts, musings, experience of the 12-week course, January to March 2006. And after that?.... Life, creativity, writing. Where does it all meet? Here, perhaps.

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Poetry Thursday. The Body

This week's prompt at Poetry Thursday is The Body, and, as it happens, I wrote a piece beginning "This is my body..." during the 2-week women writing workshop I took in the summer. It was sitting there in my notebook, and I hadn't paid it much attention - or any attention at all. Now that I've written that, I think maybe that's a reflection of how I can be towards my body much of the time. - Let it sit there, and even when it speaks to me, not pay it as much attention as it needs. So, now that I've had another reminder, maybe I will listen to this again:




..........This is my body,
..........this softness,
..........this quiet thing that carries me,
..........making herself known to me now,
..........asking
Are you ready to hold my hand?

..........Left alone, the servant and I
..........have met one another’s eyes,
..........and I am matching my stride to her now,
..........and no-one else.



You will find more Poetry Thursday pieces HERE

Labels: ,

14 Comments:

At 5/10/06 1:53 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really like what you wrote...acceptence of ones self image is not always an easy thing to do, you wrote it simply well.

 
At 5/10/06 7:57 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is indeed a fine poem, written from a perspective I hadn't thought about before. Ouside looking in - or is it inside looking out?

 
At 5/10/06 12:40 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice concept - -the inner and outer person matching each other's stride. - Nic

 
At 5/10/06 1:26 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Morning...or is it afternoon? :)

I like the concept of the body as a vessel and the idea that we are seperate from it.

Thanks for stopping by to read my poem.

DK xo

 
At 5/10/06 7:16 pm, Blogger Amber said...

I love this. I just love it.
Ah, to finally feel one with our bodies...

:)

 
At 5/10/06 7:36 pm, Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

A beautiful thing to be one with your body. Well done!

 
At 5/10/06 8:31 pm, Blogger michelle said...

I love that idea of servitude, without any sense of domination or power between the body and the self. I especially love the question you posed,

" Are you ready to hold my hand?"

 
At 5/10/06 8:58 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is so succinct and nicely put. Beautiful poem for the prompt.

 
At 5/10/06 11:35 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very Very nice.

 
At 6/10/06 1:32 am, Blogger Ceebie said...

As others have said, a very nice concept...

 
At 6/10/06 2:56 am, Blogger liz elayne lamoreux said...

i love how you can use just a few lines here and i am left speechless.

beautiful. thank you.

 
At 6/10/06 9:47 am, Blogger Catherine said...

I think so many of us tend to forget about our bodies much of the time. I do like how you put this.

 
At 6/10/06 8:27 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As I get older, I try harder to forget about my body, because it's not what it once was, so I get angry at it! I was touched by this poem, and it gave me a good reminder to be more accepting, and to "match my stride to her..."

 
At 6/10/06 11:34 pm, Blogger mareymercy said...

A great rhythm to this piece, How lucky you wrote it so recently!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home