GreenishLady

Originally Blogging the Artist's Way. Thoughts, musings, experience of the 12-week course, January to March 2006. And after that?.... Life, creativity, writing. Where does it all meet? Here, perhaps.

Tuesday, September 12, 2006

True Balance - First Chakra Experience

I have been jotting down notes as they struck me during the past couple of weeks of aspects of my life that I think display First Chakra activity. The book makes it clear that you can expect to be off-balance in this area if you have had major life changes, or if we have lost something that provides us with a sense of belonging or safety our foundation will be upset. I know that while I am working towards rebuilding, I have not completely rebuilt my foundation since the end of my marriage, and I now realise that it is really important that I begin with first chakra. I can go off on "head-stuff", and I'm realising now that I need to really value the basic things I've been doing to look after myself, and build on them. This is going to be a long post, so don't feel bad if you don't read it all. I'm writing it for myself more than anything!

Firstly, I'd like to share the SoulCollage card that represents my First Chakra. I have a strong affinity with Salamander, and feel the energy is very basic, very instinctive, very much about survival.


Following are the notes I wrote during the couple of weeks. I realised that there is much going on that relates to the urge to balance the First Chakra, whether or not I was conscious that that was what I was doing. This really comforts and affirms me, as I feel it means that there is an instinct towards health operating, urging me to do things that support my First Chakra. Did anyone else find this?

Notes on the First Chakra experience

When I started reading the chapter relating to the Root or First Chakra last week, ( or was it even before I’d begun reading?) I became aware that I was doing things that do support the connection with earth, that make me feel grounded and connected to the world. – I found myself dancing in the living-room or kitchen a few times. Usually, I can play music, and sit knitting or reading, but well… I just had to get up and dance.

Food – I’ve been cooking a lot of beans and lentils, earthy food, and making up great bowls of green salad. One thing I started to do lately was, instead of buying a plastic carton of cut herbs at the supermarket, buy a pot of growing herbs, and sit it on the kitchen windowsill. My salads contain fresh-picked basil, parsley, or mint, and even if the pot only lasts a couple of weeks, it costs the same, and gives me the sense of having the real, living plant in my food. I’ve been making smoothies in the mornings, with lots of fresh fruit. Mmmm.

This week, vitally, really importantly for my first chakra – I finally moved on a long-delayed project, and organized a painter to come in and paint my whole house. This is necessary to simply freshen the living-space up, but more importantly, to help clear the stale energy left behind from before my marriage ended. Since first Chakra is the foundation, having a comfortable living-space is very important, and the timing is perfect. I’m clearing and cleaning, and creating a space that will be a foundation for the life I want to be living.

There have been other little things. I was going to the bottle-bank, and I realised that recycling, looking after the environment is First Chakra activity. It’s grounding, it’s connecting to earth. When I bring my kitchen scraps out to my worm-compost bin, and admire the activity turning waste into compost, I get a great feeling. It’s connection. Its grounding.

One of the suggested activities for creating a sound foundation is to introduce live things into your home. I’ve mentioned the herb plants I’ve started to buy, but I also splurged on a beautiful yellow orchid – which came in a pot the very colour I will be putting on my walls in most rooms .


Then, there are ways to awaken and balance the first chakra involving looking after the body – soothing the skin, working on the feet and legs… I began to use a body-lotion again, after simply getting lazy about it for a couple of months. It feels so good to look after myself like this. I have problems with my feet, which I think tells me a lot. They need to be looked after, to form a solid foundation for me, to help me to be “fully grounded and present in life.”

Another remedy for balancing that I find myself applying in my life is using my calendar and diary. When I don’t use them, I don’t know where I’m meant to be, I have a nagging sense that I’m forgetting things, or missing events. When I write plans into them, and consult them, I can arrange my life easily and use up less energy – as getting my schedule mixed up is really exhausting!

Finally, the book speaks about taking responsibility for ourselves as being necessary to balance the first chakra. I was very proud of myself when I went last week to arrange my own health cover! Grown-up at last!

..................................................................................That’s a lot of First Chakra activity.

...................................................................................And there’s MORE:

When I went and got measured for a new bra, I realised that because I usually shop in chain-stores, which only stock certain sizes, I’ve been wearing bras that aren’t my proper fitting for years. And the difference that a correctly-sized bra makes to how I feel is amazing. When I said this to a friend, she said – “Well yes, They don’t call them foundation–garments for nothing!” – and I noticed the word. More First-Chakra self-care, I think!

And I went and had a manicure, which involved having lovely oil massaged into my hands and forearms – being skin-care, this is a First-Chakra self-care activity, surely, too!

----------------------------------------------------------------------

This is probably NOT how I'd intended to post about the book. I'm not really responding here to the questions asked in the book, the self-reflection exercises. It's not that I don't want to, but I was just so taken with the widespread prevalence in my life of 1st chakra-related activity, that's what I wanted to post about. I have posted this before 15th because I'm going to be away (again!) for another week or two, but I'll be reading the second chapter. It will be very interesting to see does it hit me in the same way! And I'm fascinated to see what everyone else has to say about their experience. Chapter 2 here we come!

If you're interested in joining in with the group reading True Balance by Sonia Choquette, go to Melba's blog HERE to see what's happening, and come along! Join in!

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

At 13/9/06 4:49 pm, Blogger Tammy said...

Wonderful post! It is amazing when you really start thinking about something (such as being grounded) how many synchronistic things happen!

I have realized that doodling really grounds me and I don't do it often enough! But even just verbalizing something like that makes me more aware!

Thanks for posting such an honest piece!!

Tammy

 
At 14/9/06 12:18 am, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Greenish Lady,
I enjoyed reading about the way you are LIVING the first chakra. It feels like you got deep inside of it and jumped around. I, unfortunately, took a more intellectual approach, THINKING it through first. I liked your bra story.

 
At 14/9/06 3:44 am, Blogger Kara said...

I loved reading this post. I'm excited you are following this book - I don't really have the time to focus on it right now - but it will be a treat to learn about it from reading your posts.
You made me realize that I partly don't have time to follow the book just because I am busy attending to first chakra issues of self care. As always Greenishlady - thank you for your inspirations

 
At 16/9/06 4:59 am, Blogger silverlight said...

CHAKRAS are the sockets we use to plug into the energy of the The Great Cosmic Conciousness of the Universe. 'That Which Is'. or'God' if you prefer.
To revitalize and re-aline our energies.

 
At 16/9/06 1:35 pm, Blogger Suzie Ridler said...

Wow Greenish Lady, this is an amazing post about the first chakra. I absolutely adored journeying through the experience with you as I read this post. You are doing AMAZING work in this area! You are also very brave to go "foundation-garment" shopping. I am not that strong yet, LOL.

You sound grounded and happy! Wonderful!

 
At 16/9/06 9:20 pm, Blogger Lisa said...

Awesome observations!

 
At 18/9/06 1:25 am, Blogger Jamie said...

I really, really enjoyed this post. I am so happy for you that you are making all of these changes, enhancing and supporting yourself and your foundations! It sounds like amazing, amazing progress.

And I just love that you brought out all sorts of activities you can do in support of your root chakra. It's not just about reflecting; it's about shifting, growing, moving, healing and discovering. Thank you for the inspiration!

 
At 19/9/06 7:59 pm, Blogger Amber said...

You are really INSPIRING me!!

:)

 
At 10/10/06 12:30 pm, Blogger Miss Robyn said...

I am just starting the book and am onto my first chakra - foot pampering is something that I need to remember to do. I haven't posted my thoughts as yet - still a bit more to think about - I look forward to journeying with you xo

 

Post a Comment

<< Home