GreenishLady

Originally Blogging the Artist's Way. Thoughts, musings, experience of the 12-week course, January to March 2006. And after that?.... Life, creativity, writing. Where does it all meet? Here, perhaps.

Sunday, September 03, 2006

Sunday Scribbling..... Fortune Cookie

I know what they are, because they turn up in movies, don’t they? There was one where someone put an engagement ring inside a fortune cookie, I think. So I know what they are, but they don’t offer them in Irish Chinese restaurants. I don’t know why. Maybe they’re a peculiarly American-Chinese thing. Or maybe the Chinese people who came here had enough to be doing without worrying about where to source Fortune-Cookies, and they knew the Irish wouldn’t kick up a fuss about getting a little cookie at the end of a meal, but I’d never actually had one until very recently. They turned up at an up-market restaurant, and we were all tickled pink with that, but for the life of me, I can’t remember what my fortune said.
The one I remember having, the one that felt like the first real fortune cookie I’d had came to me on my last night in America. This family – these wonderful people who have taken me into their hearts, their home, their lives – bring me to share a meal at their favourite Chinese restaurant, and we have sticky dumplings (potstickers? ribstickers?), soup, all kinds of good things swing by on the Lazy Susan. We share. We enjoy being together, and I still cannot believe I am here, after three weeks, meeting so many wonderful people, traveling, through three states (well, bits of them!), and back again, to my friends, my newly-adopted American family. I don’t just feel like part of the family, I feel like part of their community. A teacher comes by the table to congratulate the daughter who’s just graduated from High School. The waiter calls me the “sister”. I’m so pleased! I belong here. When we go back to their home, there will be a few hours sleep before a very early-morning trip to the airport. Diana insists there will be no cab. She’s driving me, and we will have the quiet of San Francisco early morning to get there.
But before that, as the meal ends, there are the fortune-cookies. Ah. The tradition. Let’s see. And we each take our cookie. Mother, Father, Aunt, two daughters, and me. We check out our little slips of paper. There are words about love, and memories. There are words about friendship. There are words about trust and truth. My words… I’d like to say I remember them exactly, but I don’t. Yet I carry the sense of them with me. It was something like “When you have found something in your heart, it can never be lost”. If that’s not what the fortune-cookie really said, it’s what it really meant to me. I carry them in my heart.


--------------------------
Find more Sunday Scribbling posts here

Labels: ,

15 Comments:

At 3/9/06 12:38 pm, Blogger rel said...

GreenishLady,
This is a wonderful story of a magical experience.
Thank you for sharing it with us.
rel

 
At 3/9/06 1:30 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great story!!! It is nice, isn't it, to share food with a Lazy Susan, as you share friendships, laughter, talk, and good times as well. I have a feeling that you share a lot of your heart this way, as well. And it never will be lost. Well done!

 
At 3/9/06 4:18 pm, Blogger Kamsin said...

What a lovely story. Good friends+good foods=good fortune in my book, with or without the cookie!

 
At 3/9/06 5:32 pm, Blogger paris parfait said...

Such a lovely experience you had! And if the cookie didn't say that, you felt those emotions, after your lovely time with your friends. Great post!

 
At 3/9/06 5:49 pm, Blogger Ceebie said...

Thanks for sharing this story, and for visiting my blog :)

 
At 3/9/06 6:22 pm, Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

Youu have such a gift of story telling :) What a lovely family.

 
At 3/9/06 8:47 pm, Blogger Catherine said...

That sounds like a wonderful trip that you had. From the sounds of all the posts i've read, fortune cookies are an American and Canadian thing. They don't have them in New Zealand Chinese restaurants either, but I've found them in a Chinese grocery store.

 
At 3/9/06 10:18 pm, Blogger Rachel Grynberg said...

VeRY beautiful and beautifully told. Thank you for it.

 
At 3/9/06 11:04 pm, Blogger Daisy Lupin said...

That was a lovely happy story about a memory you will cherish.

 
At 3/9/06 11:44 pm, Blogger Rebekah said...

Aw, what we take for granted that can be gifted to someone who will appreciate it for a lifetime. One of those gifts is entre into our families and communities. You had such a lovely experience. It warms my heart.

 
At 4/9/06 1:45 am, Blogger Amber said...

How sweet. And very, very true and wise!

It is an American thing, really. Did you think it was a tasty treat?

:)

 
At 4/9/06 2:11 am, Blogger GreenishLady said...

Thanks to all of you for sharing this "table" with me. I think I've been very fortunate in the real-world friends I've made this year, and in the blog-world too!

Don, I must say I found more warmth and welcome among the people I met on this (my first) trip to the States than in any other country I've visited. I don't hold the actions of a government against the people of the country.

Amber, the cookie itself, tasty, but I didn't think it was really special in itself. It's the novelty value of the fortune for me, I think.

 
At 4/9/06 6:20 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a lovely fortune - it's truth is in your memories.
I'm so glad your experiences here were good ones!

 
At 4/9/06 3:36 pm, Blogger sheryl said...

What nice memories. Thank you for you comments

Sheryl

 
At 6/9/06 4:05 am, Blogger Roadchick said...

What a lovely post - thank you for sharing it with us!
You're right - the cookies aren't that great, but sharing them with others is what is remembered.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home