GreenishLady

Originally Blogging the Artist's Way. Thoughts, musings, experience of the 12-week course, January to March 2006. And after that?.... Life, creativity, writing. Where does it all meet? Here, perhaps.

Thursday, August 17, 2006

Poetry Thursday. Whatever You're Having, Yourself

Today's theme at Poetry Thursday is free. Whatever you fancy. What? No direction? I'm not usually good at sticking to the theme, but I like to know what it is I'm NOT doing! This throws me a bit, so I'm reverting to one of the previous (completely and totally) optional prompts, on the theme of food... which means recipes... so this week's offering is:



Recipe for a Good Old Age


Into a life of regular length
pack, to overflowing, people:
all kinds. Mix them well,
keep adding, especially
tender young ones that chuckle.
Remove any whiners
that rise to the top.

Stir periodically.
If it seems to be thin or flavourless,
move the whole pot somewhere warm
and bright for a while. Add spices.

Decorate with the unusual and offbeat,
whatever will mark this dish as unique.

Between times of agitation,
let the whole rest.
Admire it. See it as good.

Then test it with a little shake.
Toss it up a bit.
Add another idea, another friend.
Another dose of sunshine.
Enjoy.



See what other participants have to offer HERE

Labels:

13 Comments:

At 17/8/06 5:10 pm, Blogger Star said...

This really makes me smile. I especially like "Remove any whiners that rise to the top." You did well with your free week!

 
At 17/8/06 5:28 pm, Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

LOVED this! I'm with Star on that line...it was perfect!

 
At 17/8/06 8:06 pm, Blogger January said...

I was expecting your poem to go in one direction and it went another way. Love the humor in the piece. My favorite lines:

"If it seems to be thin or flavourless,
move the whole pot somewhere warm
and bright for a while."

Nice poem!

 
At 17/8/06 9:34 pm, Blogger kerrdelune said...

"If it seems to be thin or flavourless,
move the whole pot somewhere warm
and bright for a while. Add spices."

This sounds like my kind of cooking!

 
At 17/8/06 10:02 pm, Blogger Becca said...

This is marvelous - I want it printed on a big poster to hang in my classroom! Because I teach, I especially like the line "keep adding, especially tender young ones that chuckle."

Words of wisdom, perfectly said.

 
At 17/8/06 10:11 pm, Blogger mareymercy said...

This is nice. I agree with everyone else about the "whiners" line - too funny!

 
At 17/8/06 10:23 pm, Blogger Jessie said...

Hey--that sounds like good stuff! This is an incredibly creative approach towards all the good things in life!

And thanks ,GreenishLady, for leaving a comment on my blog today. I've missed you!

 
At 18/8/06 3:52 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a delicious slice of life :)

 
At 18/8/06 4:03 am, Blogger Deirdre said...

Yum. I think I'll have some of this. Great poem.

 
At 18/8/06 4:58 am, Blogger kj said...

reading your poem i feel like i just ate an award-winning hot fudge sundae. really memorable, and very wise.

 
At 18/8/06 10:29 pm, Blogger Cassiopeia Rises said...

You have brightened up my day as I sit here typing with a big smile on my face. Thanks for sharing. :-)

bd

 
At 18/8/06 11:14 pm, Blogger Amber said...

I love this so much! Do you mind if I pass it on to a friend? It's wonderfully fun.

:)

 
At 18/8/06 11:39 pm, Blogger GreenishLady said...

Thank you all for your kind words. Glad you've enjoyed the recipe! Amber, feel free to pass the poem along. It's out there now! (but would you add my name if you're printing it off? ... Imelda Maguire) Thanks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home