GreenishLady

Originally Blogging the Artist's Way. Thoughts, musings, experience of the 12-week course, January to March 2006. And after that?.... Life, creativity, writing. Where does it all meet? Here, perhaps.

Sunday, July 23, 2006

Sunday Scribblings --- Thief!

I know the idea behind Sunday Scribblings is that we write something fresh and new off the prompt, and up to now, anything I've posted has been written in that way, but this week's prompt immediately reminded me of one of my poems that I'd like to share (and as I didn't share a poem on Poetry Thursday, maybe this can be a hybrid post this week?). Also, we're enjoying the tail end of a heatwave (looks like the rain will come today), so I want to spend as much time outdoors as I can before that happens, and therefore it's easier to use "one I made earlier".


Confession

Woolworths, Bolgers, Todds
lay out their stalls.
Everything you need to be a woman.
Reds and pinks and peachy shades
for lips -- Catch that man,
Catch that boy.
We have all the tools right here.

I am thirteen.
Stashed at the back of my wardrobe:
three copies of Jackie, a Romeo,
a palette of greens;
a palette of blues;
a little tub of gunmetal grey
for eyes.

Best days are Saturdays,
mid-afternoon, especially
if the countrywomen are around.
They ask questions, distract
the saleswomen, who know,
when they see us,
or think they know.

Holy Mary, Mother of God.
I light candles, pray for my sins,
but neglect to put my penny
in the box beneath the candles.
Sin on sin. I promise myself
to put it right. Next time
I will put it right.

Next time we're in town
Roches has a sale.
Busy in every department.
I come home
with four embroidery silks,
a brown leather purse, quite small,
and lipstick -- scarlet, scarlet, scarlet --
a shade I've never worn.


There will be some proper Sunday Scribblings HERE, and for a story of "If you Build It, They will come", there's my post yesterday HERE.

22 Comments:

At 23/7/06 12:05 pm, Blogger Daisy Lupin said...

Thank you for your kind comments on my blog. Actually it was a gross cartooning of my mother and grandmother as a child, they always seemed to be taking me round parks and gardens and my grandmother would take out a pair of small scissors, and snip a few cuttings. I just wanted to exaggerate that situation.

Loved your poem, I had a catholic childhood in England, no longer organised religious now, left it all behind. At the back of my wardrobe I had Jackies and a girl's magazine called Valentine, which was thought to be sinful! Also had some lurid green eyeshadow.

I have often lurked on your blog so thought it time to say Hi, pop back to my blog sometime. We are having a wonderful heatwave here too.

 
At 23/7/06 3:27 pm, Blogger Laura said...

Oh, wow - love the poem. Nothing more coherent to say - just wanted to say hi and that I read and liked it.

 
At 23/7/06 4:01 pm, Blogger Rebekah said...

This is amazing! Great poem, with such detail. Whether we left with the things or were held back by terror, we all wanted, wanted, wanted those things when we were 13.

 
At 23/7/06 5:22 pm, Blogger paris parfait said...

Terrific poem - great detail!

 
At 23/7/06 6:07 pm, Blogger mareymercy said...

Scarlet, scarlet, scarlet - I love that line. The whole thing is really great - the messages of the makeup counters (catch that man), praying for forgiveness while keeping the penny. Really well-done, start to finish.

 
At 23/7/06 6:09 pm, Blogger Letha Sandison said...

Wonderful poem!!!!

 
At 23/7/06 6:15 pm, Blogger Ian russell said...

I like the idea that you can absolve yourself from stealing pounds worth of goods by a prayer and a penny. At first I thought ''absurd'', then I realised how universally true this actually was.

You expressed the turmoil of desire and guilt wonderfully, I was right there with you!

 
At 23/7/06 6:18 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, 13 is so precariously perched on that fine line between innocence and 'sin' - while almost longing for the latter.
You captured that age quite well.

 
At 23/7/06 6:19 pm, Blogger Kim G. said...

Lovely poem. I enjoyed the "stealing" themes within it. And here's to "double-dipping" for Sunday Scribblings and Poetry Thursday! :)

 
At 23/7/06 7:12 pm, Blogger Verity said...

Love the detail, and the evocative atmosphere of childhood, but my favourite was the last line. Nice one.

 
At 23/7/06 8:19 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This reminds me of the pair of earrings I once shoplifted from Woolworths. I was about 12 I think. The only thing I ever stole from a shop - and I didn't even wear them.

Good poem - I enjoyed reading it.

 
At 23/7/06 9:14 pm, Blogger jzr said...

Oh, I remember a similar time ... I was younger, got found out by my mom who made me take the stuff back and apologize. Ouch!! A great poem!

 
At 23/7/06 9:14 pm, Blogger jzr said...

Oh, I remember a similar time ... I was younger, got found out by my mom who made me take the stuff back and apologize. Ouch!! A great poem!

 
At 24/7/06 3:18 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel like I slipped into your thirteen year old skin in this poem. Really concrete and vivid. Thanks for sharing it. :)

 
At 24/7/06 12:07 pm, Blogger Kay Cooke said...

I'd forgotten all about Jackie magazines!!! Thanks for reminding me. I can identify with the 'sin on sin' !! Good ol' catholic upbringing eh! My confessions were all so boring - i was such a goodygoody (too scared to be bad.)

 
At 24/7/06 2:34 pm, Blogger Shannon Hopkins said...

I loved the poem. It reminded me of home, and of that age. Now I've found your blog I'll be visiting often.

I stopped by yesterday and was going to leave a comment but got interrupted (the story of my life), so was going to come back today but before I could there you were with a lovely comment on my site. Thank you!

 
At 24/7/06 7:12 pm, Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

Your poem was great...It took me way back :) I liked being 13.

 
At 25/7/06 3:42 am, Blogger wendy said...

agreeing with chief b again...i, too, a horribly bad catholic...loved the line sin on sin...very nice

 
At 25/7/06 5:25 am, Blogger Deirdre said...

I like this. It has an innocence the offsets the thievery - a true 13 year old voice.

 
At 27/7/06 5:50 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great poem, right to the heart of the psyche , using words to paint.

 
At 28/7/06 5:19 pm, Blogger daringtowrite said...

Thanks for stopping by my early morning post and leading me back here to catch up on you and your world. I enjoyed this poem and how it reminded me of my own early sins. Also loved the frogs in your garden.

 
At 29/7/06 9:47 pm, Blogger Erin said...

wonderful poem

 

Post a Comment

<< Home