GreenishLady

Originally Blogging the Artist's Way. Thoughts, musings, experience of the 12-week course, January to March 2006. And after that?.... Life, creativity, writing. Where does it all meet? Here, perhaps.

Thursday, June 29, 2006

Poetry Thursday.

Perhaps by next week, I will have written a poem that meets the suggestion for this week. This one comes somewhere towards fitting it, in that the title is a phrase I find myself using from time to time.




WORST CASE

And if the season’s clock jams up,
and every day I wake expecting
buds to break, and nothing happens,

and if each evening while I’m fixing dinner,
I glance outside, waiting for the evening’s stretch
to start to show, and find that I still
can’t see the bird-table any more – dark
falling early, early,

and if I never get the chance again
to hang the laundry in the air,
feel the first stir of warmth, the new breath
of spring,

I would feel paralysed,
suffocated, buried in this space here
between winter and spring, locked in
a perpetual maybe, stuck in a place of longing,

with no release, pining
for a brightness I’d never see,
aching for a day when I could
turn my face up to sunshine, for a day
when I could feel the world
turn into summer.



More Poetry Thursday poems HERE.


11 Comments:

At 29/6/06 7:32 pm, Blogger Star said...

I love it. You are so expressive. Thank you.

 
At 29/6/06 8:55 pm, Blogger Becca said...

This perfectly expresses all my feelings about the seasons - the hope that comes from longer days, the smell of laundry air dried, the warmth of summer sun. I too would be paralysed if somehow we got stuck in winter. I'm going out now to turn my face up to sunshine!

 
At 29/6/06 9:52 pm, Blogger liz elayne lamoreux said...

your words my dear, speak to my heart. this is gorgeous. thank you for sharing these words today.

 
At 29/6/06 11:10 pm, Blogger Jim Brock said...

Oh, for the world to turn into summer!

Lovely. Lovely.

 
At 30/6/06 4:28 am, Blogger Kay Cooke said...

This is great - I can relate to it right now! Being winter here the hope of spring keeps you going for sure. I like the poem also for the way it talks of deeper waitings. Waiting for a warmer, kinder experience after a particularly chilly time of suspension ... waiting for new things after the coldness of seperation from what is meaningful and warming to the heart ...The fear that maybe never again will we feel the warmth and light of sun - what if?? A chilling thought indeed.
I read all those things in the words. And more. Just lovely. ( I love the image of the bird table in the darkness the best - somehow something so familiar and ordinary to relate the sense of despair to.

 
At 30/6/06 6:15 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As I've done nothing but complain about the summer heat of late, it's good for me to remember how bleak the days of winter can be. The longing for sunshine. Thank you for reminding me to be grateful that summer came!

 
At 30/6/06 11:53 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just beautiful, poignant, yearning - I love it.

 
At 30/6/06 3:23 pm, Blogger kerrdelune said...

Clear evocative singing - poetry at its very best!

 
At 30/6/06 4:26 pm, Blogger Sue Seibert said...

Such a poignant piece.

 
At 1/7/06 12:20 pm, Blogger Ceebie said...

"Feel the world turn into summer"... I love it...the idea that there's one moment in a day when spring turns into summer, and that we might miss it! Thank you :)

 
At 3/7/06 12:22 am, Blogger Dani In NC said...

Strangely, this poem made me think of something other than the seasons. It reminded me of how sad I felt about missing a part of my eldest daughter's childhood. I was there, but I was so sick that I missed the moment when she changed from toddler to kindergartner.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home