GreenishLady

Originally Blogging the Artist's Way. Thoughts, musings, experience of the 12-week course, January to March 2006. And after that?.... Life, creativity, writing. Where does it all meet? Here, perhaps.

Sunday, June 25, 2006

Music - Sunday Scribblings

This week's theme at Sunday Scribblings is Music. Here is my 7-minute scribble.......


This is the music of my day today: Now, the washing-machine swish from the outside room; the hum of computer and the clink, clink sounds as my sister plays at the computer in the study; hiss of gas flame and rolling boil while the eggs cook for lunch. Outside, traffic is humming on its lazy Sunday way to the beach. The bells have finished ringing and I haven't heard a plane pass over in the last half-hour. But that will be part of the day again.

Earlier, in the garden, two passing herons called Aurk, Aurk at one another, a drawn-out croak that I knew wasn't a crow; little birds chip at the day, and my honeysuckle draws and shelters the hum of bees.

Any day will have the tap-tap of Trixie's claws on the floor as she does her routine patrol, sniffing out newcomers, new smells; and her grunts and snuffles, her occasional bark. My days are interrupted often with the chime of mobile phone, the ding-dong that tells me I have mail, the buzz and hum of technology as a backdrop.

Now, the chant of next-door's children rings out. Nonsense words, full of meaning, over and over, the song for hill-rolling, the song for bubble-chasing.

My life's music is a kaleidoscope shifting and changing. It is heartbeat and breath, nails tapping and the swish of fingers moving through hair; the scratch of pen on paper and the rustle of turning pages. it is the sizzle of food cooking; the clank of fork on stone as soil is turned. My life is never silent. My life is full of such music.


More Sunday Scribblings HERE

16 Comments:

At 25/6/06 8:19 pm, Blogger Aithbhreac said...

So poetic! I really like the visuals you create by capturing specific snapshots - "the song for bubble-chasing" or "the clank of fork on stone". One can easily imagine entire scenes/activities going on with these phrases. So lovely!

 
At 25/6/06 9:58 pm, Blogger paris parfait said...

Very poetic description of the music of your daily life. Well done!

 
At 25/6/06 10:53 pm, Blogger Deirdre said...

This is really lovely. I like that the small everyday sounds are music for you.

 
At 26/6/06 12:02 am, Blogger Becca said...

What an evocative catalog of the music of your everyday life. All the sounds we take for granted suddenly assumed a greater importance when described so lovingly. I thoroughly enjoyed it!

 
At 26/6/06 12:29 am, Blogger Rebekah said...

I love the descriptions of the melodies and harmonies of your life. What a blissful tune!

 
At 26/6/06 12:31 am, Blogger kerrdelune said...

"My life's music is a kaleidoscope shifting and changing. It is heartbeat and breath..."

I love it, I absolutely love it, and everything is here - there is colour, music, texture and fragrance - I can experience everything from your perfect description.

 
At 26/6/06 12:56 am, Blogger Colorsonmymind said...

Great take on the prompt-nice to peek into your day

 
At 26/6/06 1:19 am, Blogger Star said...

I loved this. They are the sounds of everyday life. When I thought of music I immediately went to lyric and melody.

Your post has taken a distinctly different turn on the prompt and I like it. It makes me think of the everyday sounds that make up the music of my life.

Wonderful!

 
At 26/6/06 1:57 am, Blogger wendy said...

I LOVE the claws on the floor...I have two terriors ...they play songs for me all the time...in syncapated rythmn (sp?? sorry)

 
At 26/6/06 5:19 am, Blogger Jennifer S. said...

yes, very nice a life songs kaleidoscope... I like that.

 
At 26/6/06 7:25 am, Blogger Kristine said...

great post!
makes me think about the film 'Dancer in the Dark" with Bjork...

 
At 26/6/06 10:05 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have such a way with words - seven minutes! And it's lovely! (I can't even write a coherent grocery list in that amount of time : )

 
At 26/6/06 10:18 pm, Blogger Cate said...

Your writing is exquisite! Thank you for this gorgeous experience!

 
At 27/6/06 12:04 am, Blogger Kara said...

That was wonderful!

 
At 27/6/06 3:28 pm, Blogger Amber said...

So beautiful.
I have been sitting with this kind of musicm, more and more. It is a calming to just hear what is around.

:)

 
At 29/6/06 12:37 pm, Blogger Verity said...

A lovely poetic tribute to the sacred in the every day.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home