GreenishLady

Originally Blogging the Artist's Way. Thoughts, musings, experience of the 12-week course, January to March 2006. And after that?.... Life, creativity, writing. Where does it all meet? Here, perhaps.

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Poetry Thursday. Humour

Over at Poetry Thursday, this week's suggested theme is humour. Well, when someone says "Say something funny" that's it for me. I'm stumped. So, the best I can do (unless I just go and link to some of Billy Collins' clever, clever, and sometimes hilarious poems) is to dig out a poem that has a slightly offbeat metaphor in it anyway. This one hasn't been published elsewhere. It's sat for over a year now, and maybe it was due to see the light of day at this stage!


The Poemdog

Hangs around sniffing places
I wouldn’t think to check out;
puts a warm head into the cup of my hand,
looking for comfort, offering contact,

asking me to scratch behind its ears.
Shaking imaginary prey in a game,
my poemdog lollops from subject to subject,
won’t settle to serious business,

has never been trained to fetch and come back.
I want it to run through the long grasses,
scaring up images, making them rise,
but this undisciplined creature

leaves words uncollected, fallen amid rushes,
quivering ungathered among the reeds,
and me waiting for something to be laid at my feet,
for the poemdog to finally bring something home.


For other participants takes on the humourous, go HERE. Enjoy!

15 Comments:

At 13/7/06 1:48 am, Blogger Kara said...

This is cute and reading it raises my spirits tonight!

 
At 13/7/06 3:03 am, Blogger Joyce Ellen Davis said...

Love your poemdog! Poems are a lot like this, as well as poets. Made me laugh!

 
At 13/7/06 5:15 am, Blogger Star said...

This is a fine fit for this week's prompt. Unfortunately, I find myself in the category of being tongue-tied when put on the spot to be funny. I'm not sure I'll find he words for this week. Perhaps your poemdog could scare up some inspiration for me?

 
At 13/7/06 9:28 am, Blogger claireylove said...

my poem dog...
*has never been trained to fetch and come back*
you do yourself an injustice- this did have me smiling :-)

 
At 13/7/06 1:02 pm, Blogger Colorsonmymind said...

I enjoyed this and it made me smile:)

 
At 13/7/06 1:31 pm, Blogger mareymercy said...

ARF! ARF! (Translation: me likey!)

 
At 13/7/06 1:45 pm, Blogger kerrdelune said...

Gorgeous poemdog, and the imagery was clear and vibrant - I found that this week I could write poem words with laughter in them, but nothing funny in itself.

 
At 13/7/06 2:00 pm, Blogger Jennifer S. said...

very good!

 
At 13/7/06 2:52 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"this undisciplined creature

leaves words uncollected, fallen amid rushes,
quivering ungathered among the reeds,"

You have a *great* metaphor going here -- what a cute idea! Loved it.

 
At 13/7/06 8:45 pm, Blogger jzr said...

When you find one, send me the breeders name! I'd want one in a heartbeat!! Thanks!

 
At 14/7/06 12:40 am, Blogger lisrobbe said...

this was a riot! bravo, perfect for this weeks topic.

 
At 14/7/06 3:16 am, Blogger Becca said...

I want a poemdog who "lollops from subject to subject"! What a creative companion you have!

 
At 15/7/06 2:28 am, Blogger Catherine said...

I love your poem dog.
I'm just sorting all m bookmarks to blogs (over 100 of them) and I'm so glad I came back to visit.

 
At 15/7/06 6:50 pm, Blogger Deb R said...

I love the idea of a "poemdog", especially one who isn't too disciplined. Plus I love the word "lollop." :-)

 
At 19/7/06 12:21 am, Blogger Ceebie said...

Cute concept! What would a poem cat look like, I wonder?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home