GreenishLady

Originally Blogging the Artist's Way. Thoughts, musings, experience of the 12-week course, January to March 2006. And after that?.... Life, creativity, writing. Where does it all meet? Here, perhaps.

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Teaspoon Tuesday: House Plants

Deirdre at Teaspoon Tuesday asks a few questions about houseplants, and as I have begun over the past year or two to accumulate houseplants again, I thought I'd answer. The houseplant I can't kill (well, not without first propogating a replacement from it, at least) is a Jade plant (money tree). The one that sits on my kitchen windowsill is 3rd generation, and about 9 years old - or is it 12? It's old, anyway. And I like the way its branches twist and turn. The plant I'm proudest of is my jasmine. It didn't flower this year, but it flourished, and flourished, and flourished. This is the 3rd jasmine I've had, and the only one to survive beyond a year. It's about 2 1/2 feet tall, and ready for more support, as there are new shoots heading off towards the front door. It sits in my hallway, and makes me very happy. There's a wierd cactus that looks like a spiky hand with 23 fingers on the kitchen windowsill, and that flowers at unpredictable times - orange trumpet-shaped flowers that are a real delight to behold, and there's a flaming Katy (looking a little sad at the moment. I'm not sure she'll see the winter out). And, of course, the new yellow orchid that is making me smile, smile, smile. Once upon a time, I had greenery in every room, and I allowed a lot of plants to die during a time when I had enough to do keeping myself and the people in my life fed and warm. Now, the reappearance of plants around my house is, to me, a sign of health. A sign of life.

Thanks for asking, Deirdre, and for your bright post.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

At 27/9/06 12:16 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're so right... I let plants die too, and have noticed when I'm happy in life, I load up on the plants again.

 
At 27/9/06 1:53 pm, Blogger Deirdre said...

Your plants sound fantastic. I've got my first Jade plant and am hoping I'm doing the right things with it. And I didn't know jasmine would grow indoors. Mine are struggling outside - we're in the process of transplanting to better locations. I find the health of my plants is directly tied to my own emotional state. It's a good barometer.

 
At 27/9/06 10:04 pm, Blogger eliza said...

hooray for houseplants, especially those most patient and impervious to neglect. i have a christmas cactus which i inherited 22 years ago, and it's still in the same (plastic) pot!

LOVED your second chakra post - inspiring in many many ways.

 
At 28/9/06 9:34 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back! I must read through and play catch up - I'd been check everyday, till of course the last couple when you actually did come back...
I love houseplants, but only have a couple indoors now (still have Phred, of course!), mainly because the cats try to eat them.
Glad you're enjoying greenery again, Greenish Lady! :-)

 
At 2/10/06 7:41 pm, Blogger daringtowrite said...

Houseplants, in need of more nurturing than mirrors, but every bit as reflective, I think, of some facet of we who tend them. Mine feel a bit like pets, though a bit more independent than my cat and dog.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home