GreenishLady

Originally Blogging the Artist's Way. Thoughts, musings, experience of the 12-week course, January to March 2006. And after that?.... Life, creativity, writing. Where does it all meet? Here, perhaps.

Friday, April 11, 2008

Friday's Feast

The regular chef at Friday's Feast is taking a week off, but another cook has taken over the kitchen just for this week at StoneGirlBlog, and posted a set of questions, so go on over there if you'd like to join in. Appetizer
What is your favorite vacation spot in the United States?

That is a question that is both easy and hard for me to answer. As I've only ever visited Northern California, parts of CoastalOregon, and a smidgen of Washington State, I'm not really qualified to judge where the best spots are, but from my limited experience, any of those places are wonderful - so much so that after my first visit in 2006, I went back again in 2007 to California, and when I go again this summer it will be to California and Oregon. Two places I particularly liked were Patrick's Point State Park, and wandering around the Sacramento Delta (which happened by happy accident last year, en route to Yosemite). Yes, I adore Yosemite too. And the Columbia River gorge is mighty impressive. Just transplant me anywhere in the Pacific Northwest!



Soup
If someone else (friend, co-worker, family) brings up a religious or political topic, how likely are you to join the conversation, on a scale of 1 to 10 (1 = not likely, 10=very likely).

Religion about 8, if I'm in the mood, but not if the topic is contentious. Politics much lower. Have very little patience for party politics, but don't like to argue about it.

Salad
What song do you listen to when you feel very sad?
Any Leonard Cohen; James Taylor "You've got a friend"; Sinead O'Connor "Thank you for hearing me"
(in fact, much of her work); Then, of course, there's Bridge Over Troubled Water. And "Yesterday" too. Oh.... and Janis Ian. Jesse's just heartbreakingly great, and In the Winter, too! And Don MacLean's Empty Chairs. .. and Vincent. It seems I have a neverending supply of feel-miserable music. I love it!

Main Course
Someone you really admire is coming over for a home-cooked dinner. What do you serve him/her?
Start with roast red peppers filled with goat's cheese and pine-nuts on a bed of rocket. Follow with Pam's lemon chicken on brown basmati rice with a spinach and orange salad. For dessert... I'm not a baker, but I think I'd like to fill lemon-shells with a lovely lemon sorbet and a spoonful of an avocado/lemon/date pudding I found in a Gillian McKeith book. Too much lemon? Ok. I'll serve chocolate cake too.

Dessert
If the only form of transportation left in the world is by animal (horse, mule, camel), where would you live?
Well, much as it would break my heart to leave my friends, my home and my work here in the Northern tip of the island, if my only choice of transport was animal, I'd need to move back to live closer to my parents. If my sister's country cottage was available, I'd move in there. It's ten miles from the home my mother lives in, and not much further from my Dad, one of my brothers and one of my sisters. I don't know where my son would be living! Could be anywhere. Oh. I don't like imagining the choices I'd have to make. Once in every few months, then, I'd make the trek by horse-and-carriage to wherever he is. What if he's overseas? Oh... I don't like this idea! Not at all!

Labels:

11 Comments:

At 11/4/08 8:20 pm, Blogger Lady North said...

Hi Greenish Lady
I thought I would jump in this week with my Friday Feast
Appetizer
What is your favorite vacation spot in Canada? Right here in the Cowichan Valley - Canada's Provence.
Soup
If someone else (friend, co-worker, family) brings up a religious or political topic, how likely are you to join the conversation, on a scale of 1 to 10 (1 = not likely, 10=very likely). 0 and 0 - both contentious especially these days..so I smile..and walk away blessing them mentally.
Salad:
What song do you listen to when you feel very sad?
Isabel by Il Divo..heart stomper-ripper especially that BARITONE..o my goodnes..shiver shiver shiver.
Main Course:
Someone you really admire is coming over for a home-cooked dinner. What do you serve him/her?
Fig/goat cheese blossoms for appies; persian lemon chicken with basmati rice w/ spinach-yogurt-dill sauce; steamed asparagus and broccoli; green salad on side; dessert: strawberry-rhubarb pie w/ice cream
Dessert:
If the only form of transportation left in the world is by animal (horse, mule, camel), where would you live?
Here and I would use a mule - reason? you don't have so far to fall - trust me, ridden one!

 
At 12/4/08 12:12 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! Your meal sounds wonderful and yummy. That would be quite a treat. And I love Yosemite too - one of my favorite places.

Nice Feast!

 
At 12/4/08 1:24 am, Blogger Becca said...

Such a delicious feast! I love the San Francisco area too - it's one of my favorite places in the US to visit.

And I just downloaded Bridge Over Troubled Water onto my new ipod-it's one of my all time favorites.

 
At 12/4/08 12:28 pm, Blogger Diane M. Roth said...

hi greenish lady! thanks for visiting my blog. it's good to know you too.

You've only been to California and Oregon?

I have never been to Ireland. It sounds like a beautiful place.

 
At 12/4/08 3:42 pm, Blogger Michelle said...

Hi GreenishLady,

Thanks for stopping by to wish me a happy Blogoversary today! I enjoyed reading your Friday's Feast post, and will visit again.

Have a great weekend!

 
At 13/4/08 3:34 pm, Blogger Karen said...

I've been travelling around through others' feasts, and I keep asking, "What is your favorite vacation spot in [the country where you reside]?" So I'll ask it again--what is your favorite vacation spot in Ireland?

Thank you for posting links to your favorite songs--some are new to me. And your meal sounds delicious--being still an "aspiring" vegetarian, and not a 100% vegetarian, I would definitely want to try it!

Tasty feast!

 
At 13/4/08 7:03 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your dinner party sounds delicious!
Also, even though (sad to say as an American :) I've only seen about 2/3 of America myself - I think the Pacific Northwest is some of the most beautiful parts of our country - there, and Yosemite...there is a meadow there, filled with wildflowers, criss-crossed with beautiful brooks and streams - at that time, at least - that I fell in love with, long ago. I hope the water still flows there...

 
At 16/4/08 9:10 am, Blogger nzflutterby said...

What A great dinner party. I'm with you when it come sto talking about politics - we could change the subject!

I've never been to anywhere in North America but those sad songs - Briidge Over Troubled Waters & Blue Eyes rying in the Rain. I always stop to listen when those come on.

Love reading your blogs because they make me think (and feel!)

 
At 17/4/08 6:34 pm, Blogger Tammie Lee said...

Hello,
I agree, the Pacific NW of the USA is wonderful, stunning and so diverse. So wonderful that you have made journeys to explore that land! I wish you another wonderful summer holiday over here. My home state is Calif. I left 3 years ago wanting to experience somewhere else, still if I lived there my entire life there would always be something new to to experience!
Your meal sounds divine!

 
At 24/4/08 2:32 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i listened all the through the sinead o'conner Thank You For Hearing Me. this caught me at the very moment of exactly what you asked about. "what do you listen to when very sad?" it has a healing sound and although it made me cry it also reminded me of what i have that is good.. thanks

 
At 24/4/08 2:38 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

gosh there were so many things to think about, react to and feel from this post! i i am delighted to hear you love the Pacific Northwest as that is my home and sanctuary. the gorge is one of the most beautiful places in the world :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home