GreenishLady

Originally Blogging the Artist's Way. Thoughts, musings, experience of the 12-week course, January to March 2006. And after that?.... Life, creativity, writing. Where does it all meet? Here, perhaps.

Sunday, April 06, 2008

Photo: Sunday Scribblings

This week, Sunday Scribblings asks us to consider ONE photo: Describe one, take one, or show us one! Talk about what seeing that picture meant to you or use the prompt to create a character. Who is in it? What are they doing? Why does that particular picture matter? When people have to decide what they would grab in a fire, after living things they nearly always say photographs. Why? And what is so special about that one?

My parents' wedding wasn't a big affair. By the standards of the day, it might have been a fairly big "do", but the guest list for the reception contained only family. Neverthless, this photo exists to show that the congregation in the church (cathedral, in fact!) had been swelled with a large group of my mother's workmates who came out on that August day to see Mary Eaton marry the man from Kildare with the killer quiff, Thomas Maguire. In the other photos of the day, you can see my paternal grandfather, my maternal grandmother and grandfather, aunts and uncles with "best" frocks and suits, flowers in lapels, standing stiffly and formally. In this photo, I can almost hear the giggles, feel the push and shove and scuffling that happened in the moments before the shot was taken. Some of the girls at the back are standing on tiptoes and still only have the top of their heads to be seen.

I love this evidence of my mother as a woman who was popular among this great crowd of women. They worked day in, day out, wearing rubber boots, walking ankle-deep in the chilled water that kept the factory floor cool. Their factory turned out milk products and confectionery and the workers worked hard and played well. And after a long, hard week, these women got up early on a Saturday and cycled or walked from all points of the city to witness Mary's wedding, to offer her a hug, to shake Tom's hand.

The picture has been reproduced in local newspapers a couple of times over recent years. It's part of the local history archive, really. The date: August 15th, 1953.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

If you'd like to see some more photos, go on over to Sunday Scribblings.

If you'd like to see one of my poems featured as a Poem of the Month at the Virtual Teahouse, click HERE

Won't you pop in to see the Portrait of Trixie painted by Jessie?

And finally, and most importantly, If you haven't yet read my post about Jen Ballantyne, please do. She's an incredible woman who needs help, support, caring, prayers, people to witness her experience of cancer. Thank you.

Labels: , ,

30 Comments:

At 6/4/08 10:30 am, Blogger World So Wide said...

Your commentary makes the photo come alive. Great contribution to the theme!

World So Wide

 
At 6/4/08 10:56 am, Blogger anthonynorth said...

Great words to the testament of the lives behind a photo. So often we need such words to understand them.

 
At 6/4/08 12:10 pm, Blogger Robin said...

Photos are so much more special when you can appreciate their context. I love the women in tiptoes in the back, I never would have noticed that if you hadn't pointed it out when you shared the photo's story.

 
At 6/4/08 2:19 pm, Blogger Jo Anne O. said...

There are many photos that on first glance seem rather mundane, but it is knowing the story behind them that sets them apart. Thank you for sharing!

 
At 6/4/08 2:27 pm, Blogger Patois42 said...

I adore the details you are able to provide, and the motivations.

 
At 6/4/08 3:50 pm, Blogger murat11 said...

Imelda: What a great photograph, and what a wonderful piece of writing to go along with it. My wife and I are landlocked Tejanos here in San Antonio, but we ache for all the Irish movies we can get our hands on. This photo feels just like our beloved films: such rich language: workmates...killer quiff...frocks...push and shove and scuffling...and I love the image of the rubber boots and ankle-deep water. "Worked hard and played well": just as it should be.

I visited your poem and found it a lovely evocation of your countryman Jim, but more importantly, lovely in itself, the heartchild of Yes.

Thanks for your visit over my way. Very best wishes to you.

paschal of murat11

 
At 6/4/08 4:02 pm, Blogger Christy Woolum said...

My parents were married just a few years before yours and there is something so familiar in your picture of that time. Your words created even a better picture.

 
At 6/4/08 4:19 pm, Blogger Mary Beth said...

I love seeing pictures like these where there is so much life portrayed! I agree, you can hear the giggling and whispering as they all try to get in the frame. What a wonderful memory to share.

 
At 6/4/08 5:17 pm, Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

I simply love old photos and getting to read about that moment in time is the cherry on top! xxoo

 
At 6/4/08 6:40 pm, Blogger Renee said...

I love old photos. It's almost like time-travel. I like to try to imagine what life was like for the people in the photo during that period time... who they were, how they occupied their time.

Great photo! Great blog!

 
At 6/4/08 8:40 pm, Blogger Tumblewords: said...

Ah, I loved reading and seeing this post! And will follow the links to see more of your work and interests! Thanks!

 
At 6/4/08 9:15 pm, Blogger Jon said...

I love these old photographs, it's even better when they're accompanied with some good commentary writing like you've provided us with.
Glad you dropped by my blog, it's so rare to meet an Irish blogger like myself. Keep in touch.

 
At 6/4/08 10:43 pm, Blogger Sharon said...

Thank you so much for your comforting words on the loss of my Sony. Much appreciated.

 
At 6/4/08 10:58 pm, Blogger Granny Smith said...

Thank you for interpreting this photo so well and calling our attention to the relevant details. You have breathed life into it. I also enjoyed your poetry.

 
At 7/4/08 12:09 am, Blogger Diana S said...

Hi, thanks for stopping by today. I haven't been through to visit all the sites from One World yet either. Congrats on your Poem of the Month. I went to the site and read it. It was lovely - how strong the word 'yes' can be.

 
At 7/4/08 1:57 am, Blogger Forgetfulone said...

I really loved your description of that photo! I could feel the energy. Your mom seems like she was (is) an incredible woman.

 
At 7/4/08 2:47 am, Blogger paisley said...

amazing story,, and the loveliest of pictures... i did have to look up the word quiff... but i suspected that was what it was from your lovely photo....

 
At 7/4/08 3:30 am, Blogger Lucy said...

Hello! this picture was so interesting alone, but your insight made it outstanding. Your mom sounds like a wonderful friend. :)

 
At 7/4/08 1:51 pm, Blogger Karen said...

What a beautiful entry--the photo itself is lovely, but it needs your words to really make it come to life.

 
At 7/4/08 4:39 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

WONDERFUL SS post - absolutely stunning.

 
At 7/4/08 7:02 pm, Blogger nonizamboni said...

Oh, this photo was wonderful! Your words brought this day to life again. I especially liked how attentive and loyal your mother's friends were on her special day.
Thank you for sharing such a rich memory, with your lovely way with words.

 
At 7/4/08 10:25 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a beautiful photo of the beginning of a family. At first it is just another wedding photo, but your story brings it all to life and has me thinking of it in a way I might not have. Isn't it funny that we dismiss, but if we stop and really look all photos hold a story that we are in too much a hurry to see.

By the way, I love In Crepe Paper. It reminded me of all the times I said yes and no to my kids. I wish I'd said yes more.

 
At 8/4/08 12:06 am, Blogger Amber said...

This is so cool! I love old photos like that. Neat to read about your family, too. :)

:)

 
At 8/4/08 3:06 pm, Blogger TMTW said...

Perfect writing to accompany a beautiful snapshot!

 
At 10/4/08 1:40 am, Blogger Lila Rostenberg said...

That is a wonderful photo. The bride, your mother really stands out and is surrounded by so many well-wishers!
(I rmember that day myself...August 15, 1953 was the day my sister was born!)

 
At 10/4/08 8:13 pm, Blogger Tammie Lee said...

Your story telling of the photo took me there. How wonderful. Thank you.
I always enjoy your visits on my blog, thank you.

 
At 10/4/08 11:12 pm, Blogger Julie said...

Thank you for sharing this. I loved the "back story" of this photo. I especially loved the paragraph where you wrote about your mom and her friends working under such difficult circumstances but still taking time to "play" when they could. You gave us a real picture of the times. (P. S. I was just finally visiting all the blogs on my sidebar when I got your email a couple of minutes ago.)

 
At 11/4/08 1:52 pm, Blogger Jessie said...

Oh, look at all her friends!! :) And, yes, I think I can hear some giggling and laughter too! :)

 
At 11/4/08 2:19 pm, Blogger terri said...

i love the way history folds in on itself. here you are today with all of us crowding in this little space to be near you and greet you and bless you. all of us on our tip toes smiling.

 
At 13/4/08 7:13 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seeing the photo and reading your words, I feel I can almost hear the ladies jostling one another, giggling, too. What a beautiful bridal photo and family keepsake - I imagine it being treasured for generations to come.
It seems I am so behind, and have missed so much...your poem is beautiful - Yes, yes, yes!
As is the portrait of Trixie - seeing that made me both smile and tear up a bit for you, my friend. It is lovely! ~ xox

 

Post a Comment

<< Home