GreenishLady

Originally Blogging the Artist's Way. Thoughts, musings, experience of the 12-week course, January to March 2006. And after that?.... Life, creativity, writing. Where does it all meet? Here, perhaps.

Thursday, April 03, 2008

Trixie


For the past six months I have been mourning and coming to terms with the loss of my companion of over 15 years, Trixie. A few months ago, when Jessie of Diary of a Self-Portrait announced she was beginning to do Dog Portraits, (Go see her website, Stray Dog Arts) something in me just YELLED out "Do it! Commission a painting of Trixie! Do it now!"
.
So I did. I cannot tell you the healing it has brought about for me to have this done. Jessie worked from the few photos I have of Trixie. Trixie hated having her picture taken. Most of the photos show her barking or arching her back, angry about the flash, or ... we never quite figured out what she didn't like about the camera. Maybe she thought it was stealing her soul.
.
Jessie has imbued this painting with Trixie's soul. My heart is overflowing with joy to see it. I am moved, touched, absolutely beyond any words by the wonderful love with which Jessie worked in order to bring Trixie back to me in this way. She will be home soon, but already in seeing this photo of the painting, I just feel such peace, such affirmation that the spirit of my precious Trixie lives on and can be felt, not just by me, but by others.
,
Thank you, Jessie. Thank you, my wonderful friend. Thank you.

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

At 3/4/08 11:57 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

aw...sweet dog. So glad you made the investment in such a remembrance.

 
At 4/4/08 12:58 am, Blogger Olivia said...

Greenish Lady,

I had my Winston for 11 years (he was 5 when we adopted him). It was from him that I learned for the first time what love meant. He was a Yorkie-Poodle mix, a Yoodle or Porky. When he died I wrote as a tribute to him 1000 Names that I called him, love names like Winnie the Pooh, Pooh-Bear, Baby Bear, etc.---but 1000 of them---to help me to memorialize his essence and to grieve. I dream of him several times a month. I've had ecstatic spiritual experiences that he has been a part of. There is no way that his spirit ever leaves me or that I could ever forget him.

I think that what you did with Trixie and Jessie's portrait of her essence is precious and delightful. Congratulations on celebrating the love and companionship she provided you for so long.

When you think about it...how could her spirit ever die? Impossible!

Good to meet you, Trixie's owner :)

Blessings,

Olivia from happyluau

 
At 4/4/08 1:10 am, Blogger Ravenous Reader said...

How beautiful!

I'm so proud of Jessie, and I've loved watching her make this dream come true. What a special talent she has, and its miraculous the way its all come together for her.

I'm really thinking about having a portrait of my two done - she did a beautiful job using photos, especially since you said you didn't have many.

My two love the camera, so I have lots of material to work with.

What a treasure for you!

 
At 4/4/08 1:45 am, Blogger Jessie said...

dear imelda, i have such big tears rolling down my face right now! good tears. heartfelt tears of love and gratitude. this has been such a strange and difficult journey in getting here and your words are such a beautiful and powerful affirmation of what feels so incredibly true to my soul.

working on this painting of trixie has been more important to me and my path than i could possibly give words to. i feel so much love right now for the dogs i've loved, for the dogs i've painted, for you, for trixie. i feel as though my heart is about to burst! and it is the most wonderful feeling that i have ever experienced. thank you, dear imelda--for allowing me to be a part of your healing journey.

much love and forever your friend,
jessie

 
At 4/4/08 2:46 am, Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

Jessie did an amazing job, what a gift she has brought you with her talent. HUGS

 
At 4/4/08 3:18 am, Blogger terri said...

hi imelda,

i lost my dear friend "feather" this last summer and i thought i was going to die of grief. she was 14 years old and such a gentle soul. how lovely that you have this painting to remind you of your loss, and also of the great gift of her love.

 
At 4/4/08 12:01 pm, Blogger inkberryblue said...

What a beautiful portrait. The painting really seems to embody your little dog's spirit...look at those eyes!
Thanks for sharing something that is so precious to you.

 
At 5/4/08 12:06 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a wonderful portrait! I can't think of a better way to memorialize a beloved & cherished pet. You have my sympathy on your loss.

 
At 6/4/08 8:47 pm, Blogger Tumblewords: said...

So sorry for your loss! This painting is wonderfully beautiful and lifelike!
Unfortunately I couldn't post a comment on your 'Crepe Paper' poem - it is lovely, lovely!

 
At 13/4/08 7:16 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Though I commented in part about this, on a another post - I came back here to say again, what a really lovely portrait of Trixie. I am so glad it is bringing you healing~xOx

 
At 24/4/08 2:47 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

a wonderful painting and such a heartfelt thanks to Jessie. your trixie had beautiful colors in her coat. i can imagine her softness. my little zippy has a terrible relationship with cameras and it is very difficult to get her photo so i cherish every single one i manage to capture as a someday memory. this painting must cause your heart to both sing and cry. blessings and comfort to you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home