GreenishLady

Originally Blogging the Artist's Way. Thoughts, musings, experience of the 12-week course, January to March 2006. And after that?.... Life, creativity, writing. Where does it all meet? Here, perhaps.

Saturday, June 30, 2007

Sunday Scribblings. What's Your Sign? Sagittarius

The Archer

I once had a mug (was it a Christmas gift from my mother?) with the Sagittarian symbol on it, and a motto reading “The Archer whose bow is heavenward bent will not bow to a low or evil intent”. Glib, perhaps, but a phrase I took to heart in my teenage years. When I would find myself at times become activated over a question of justice – or worse, if my integrity was ever questioned – I’d recall that it just might be my Sagittarius nature that was operating here.

I’m a fair-weather fan of astrology. If it seems applicable, I’m impressed, and if what I read doesn’t seem to apply, I dismiss it. I’ve never gone about having my chart properly drawn up, and my knowledge of astrological matters has been derived from magazines, occasional books and friends with more enthusiasm for the subject than I have. What I do believe is that the popular astrology (magazine horoscopes, etc) bears no real connection to true astrology, for which I have some respect, even if I don’t have enough interest to pursue it for myself. I don’t like to think of myself as superstitious or easily duped, and I have seen, while studying psychology, how easy it can be to phrase something in ways that will persuede people will accept them.

Off I went just now to see what I could find via Google about Sagittarians. My horoscope for today includes the following:

As much as you would like to, you can't entirely dismiss this turn of events as random or coincidental. You know that you had a part to play in everything that went on. Now it's time to see what you can do next.

I can find many situations in my life to which I could apply those words. Could you?

Then at another astrology site, I found a lot of information about the Sagittarius nature. Strange that I can subscribe to the positive traits much more easily than the negative. But, really, here’s the negative traits, and I have to reject many of them as simply not part of my personality:

"The vices to which Sagittarius is prone are anger - they tend to flare up over trifles (Ask anyone who knows me, they will tell you, I very, very seldom lose my temper. I am known for my calm demeanour. honest!), and impatience - they want to rush every new project through immediately and can be too demanding. (Again, not me. I start slow, take my time, suggest that others take it easy. ) They are quick to jump on inadequacies of others while expecting full recognition of their own efforts. (Em… maybe there is some truth in this one. Much easier to see another’s mote than my beam) This is not to say that they do not deserve the recognition. In completing a major project Sagittarius will sacrifice everything else before it. (No. I don’t have the single-mindedness that this implies) Often, though, they can be exacting, and inconsiderate in their work life, while boastful and extravagant in their private lives. (I don’t know about the exacting and inconsiderate, though I hope that’s not how I am, but I have to reject boastful and extravagant. Totally!) The great achiever or the wastrel. There is also a side of the Sagittarian that is quite superstitious, and reading into signs and portents would not be uncommon. (Am I not casting a jaundiced eye on the superstition which is popular astrology? But ok, I’m a believer in synchronicity, and do watch out for symbolic happenings) The Sagittarius love of sports often leads to an indulgence in dangerous pursuits. (Ha, ha, ha ha. I never learnt to cycle cos it seemed too dangerous. I’ve never ice-skated or skied. I own walking-boots, but their soles are not worn thin! I stroll, don’t climb mountains… get the picture? Bungee jump? Never, never, never) Many centaurs are prone to accidents due to a tendency of taking too many risks. (maybe here I should – non-superstitiously – knock on wood, but I’ve never broken a bone, and am shamed to say the only sprain I ever suffered was when I lifted a heavy file awkwardly in my office and sprained my wrist! Risky behaviour? Not me!) "


See how much I quibbled with that? A LOT! When it comes to the more positive descriptions, I feel much more comfortable accepting the labels being applied, even the description of Sagittarians as modest. Yes, that’s me – and everything else! :


"Sagittarians are positive people; they have a bright outlook on life, are enterprising, full of energy and vitality. Versatile, adventurous and eager to expand their range beyond the comfortable and familiar. They enjoy travel and exploring, and their minds are continually searching for new experiences. They are ambitious, optimistic folk, and nothing seems to get them down. They are idealists, and this seems to keep them going even when life disappointments crop up and smash their plans. "To keep on, keepin' on" is a Sagittarian way of life. They have a tendency to get over zealous when they are interested in something. They are believers, and what they believe in, they are willing to fight for. They are both loyal and independent at the same time. They manage to balance both traits.

Sagittarians are usually modest and often spiritual, with strong values. They like rituals, and sometimes can get caught up in form, rather than substance. They are profound thinkers, and are gifted with foresight and good judgment. Witty conversationalists and story tellers, they do have the gift of gab. They are avid learners, love to initiate new projects and make great researchers. They are quick studies, with keen minds. They have an expectant attitude and a penchant for new experiences, which may account for the fact that Sagittarians are noted for their longevity. They are often intuitive and original thinkers. Better at adapting than inventing, they work well in collaboration with others. A strong-will and good organization ability combined with their other talents usually bring any project they undertake to a successful conclusion. They are generous by nature, but are quite resourceful in caring for and balancing their resources."

I’m interested to see how many other Sags have posted, and whether there are some signs that seem to have more interest in this area than others. I feel much of this post was a “cheat”, borrowing so freely from the information I googled, but I couldn’t talk about this from my own knowledge (slim), so that’s it today for Sunday Scribblings. Others’ musings on the topic will be found HERE.

---------------------------------------------------
And.... later edited to add :

Having gone on to read other Sunday Scribblings posts on the topic, I have discovered that I am not Sagittarius. Being born on 1st December makes me actually Ophiuchus - the 13th sign (well, the sign that isn't included in the 12 signs of western astrology). Now I have more Googling to do, but already, I'm seeing the traits I can agree are mine (and those that I reject). Maybe my moon was elsewhere when I was born? Oh. Complicated!

Labels: ,

15 Comments:

At 30/6/07 5:13 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Astrology is interesting to read but to follow it one should take it with a pinch of salt..

I liked your post.

 
At 30/6/07 5:18 pm, Blogger Becca said...

I feel just the way you do about astrology, but I do find I have a lot of characteristics in common with the standard description of a Pisces.

I not closely acquainted with any Sags, so it was interesting to read about that sign.

 
At 30/6/07 6:54 pm, Blogger Amber said...

I would be interested to know what your moon is in. Really, we are three sighns-- our sun, moon and rising. I bet if you read all three, you would see a balanced picture of yourself. But your emotional nature is ruled by the moon...I wonder if it is in an earth sighn, like Virgo, thus making you careful and slow to anger.

Not that I, um, pay much attention... lah lah lah.... ;)

:)

 
At 30/6/07 7:04 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhh. I think you answered it for me. When asked what I believe, I shall now say "synchronicity".

 
At 1/7/07 2:02 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like your sense of humor and who knows what sign that falls under - a happy one I guess.

 
At 1/7/07 2:12 am, Blogger Kara said...

In case you are confused - I left you a comment while signed into my other blogger identity - oops - so here is another comment - same Kara.

 
At 1/7/07 2:33 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am a Ophiuchus too!
What a revelation - I have to go learn more about it.
I'm 12/12 and find I have most of the positive and negative traits of our sign.
Thaanks for the interesting share,
Frances

 
At 1/7/07 6:30 pm, Blogger Gill said...

So interesting - I never knew about the 13th sign, just realised my daughter (13 Dec) would fall into that sign too. Going to go and do some googling!

 
At 1/7/07 7:43 pm, Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

Very interesting stuff and it sounds like a good sign. I think other signs come into play too. All in fun!

 
At 2/7/07 12:59 am, Blogger sundaycynce said...

You and I seem to have read about 3 out of 4 of the same articles about Sagittarius. The new info you gave me was at the beginning of your second main paragraph about characteristics. It was good stuff, sorry I missed that one in my search. I too am apparently am one of those Ophiuc...whatever, that 13th sign. But since I never even heard of it before today, can't spell it, can't pronounce it, and have spent my entire life seeing myself as a Sagittarian, I am currently in denial about that. Eventually I will go back to research and find out more about it.
Enjoyed your post. Go read mine and laugh.

 
At 2/7/07 1:16 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Greenish Lady,
Yes, I'm with you about astrology. Like Becca, I am a Pisces and I relate to many of those traits. However, I often find that readings miss their mark. I liked the little twist at the end of your post.

 
At 4/7/07 11:17 pm, Blogger Cate said...

I used to be such a huge fan of astrology (Sydney Omarr)--this post was very interesting to me! I agree with many of your points.

If you get a chance, please email me--lilhammie(at)comcast.net--so I can send you the link to my new blog. Many xo's!

 
At 5/7/07 4:55 pm, Blogger Amber said...

Hi my Irish Lass. I just wanted to come by and say THANK YOU for being so supportive of me in my crisis lately. It makes me feel better.

;)

 
At 5/7/07 9:25 pm, Blogger kerrdelune said...

Hm, I'm Ophiuchus too, but I have no idea about my moon and ascendant - am off to find out what they are.

 
At 14/7/07 8:29 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

While I don't take astrology seriously, I do enjoy reading Rob Brezny's horoscope for my sign. Even though you just discovered you're not Sagittarius, you might still peek at his horoscopes. I also highly recommend his book, Pronoia: How the Whole World is Conspiring to Shower You With Blessings. His site is: Free Will Astrology.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home