GreenishLady

Originally Blogging the Artist's Way. Thoughts, musings, experience of the 12-week course, January to March 2006. And after that?.... Life, creativity, writing. Where does it all meet? Here, perhaps.

Sunday, May 27, 2007

Sunday Scribbling: Simple

It's Sunday, and I was about to post something, and checked what today's prompt is for Sunday Scribblings - and it is simple. I mean it is "Simple". It's not complicated. It's whatever the word says to me, and it says such a lot, but right now, here's what it prompts:

They left three hours ago - my two sisters, and my sister's fiance's teenage daughter - so they are half-way home now. They left behind in my house traces of themselves. Finn's perfume, young and flowery, in the spare room scenting the air. A plain white linen shirt my older sister left in my room - I assumed it was forgotten, but no, it was a gift, left for me to discover after she'd departed. There is a forgotten flask, which I will bring on my next trip home. There are scones and half of a lemon-tart, and a dog who's gotten used to being petted all the time over their weekend visit. In the garden, a pot of purple flowers - new to all of us, brilliant purple Sinnetti. We like them. When I arrived home from work on Friday, my visitors were already here, and as I stood at the kitchen window, it took a while for me to register what had changed. There was just a bit more purple than there had been in my garden that morning - my aquilegias offer some, but there was now more. The girls wanted to surprise me, but weren't surprised to see it was one of the first things I noticed.



Simple things they have left behind - and each one an echo of their presence, reminding me of our night out last night, our big outing to see Riverdance. Not simple - but complex, intricate dance, yet simple in its effect - hitting through to the breast-bone, causing a vibration of excitement, bypassing brain and intellect. We buzzed, each one of us. I whooped and clapped. Simple joy. Simple delight. Simply a great night, a great weekend, a great memory. It tapped into my celtic heart, vibrated there, and left me feeling, simply full.

-----------------------------------------------

For more 'Simple' Sunday Scribblings, go HERE

Labels: , ,

14 Comments:

At 27/5/07 2:25 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good morning Greenish Lady,
Here's what I liked about reading your post. You could have just said, "They came for a visit, and it was simply lovely." Instead, you showed us with such beautiful and evocative examples. I think in jazz that is called a "riff." I love the idea that her perfume lingered in your house.

 
At 27/5/07 4:44 pm, Blogger Becca said...

I agree with Caroline. By describing so beautifully all the simple gifts of your family's visit, you allowed us all to share it in such and intimate way.

Lovely :)

 
At 27/5/07 8:55 pm, Blogger Regina said...

Sounds like a wonderful visit! Family can get so complicated at times but I am glad you were just able to appreciate the simple things of sharing and caring with your family...

 
At 27/5/07 9:45 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just happened by and really liked your post - it was a joy to read. Your new plant is really beautiful and I bet it will be a nice reminder of the weekend.

 
At 27/5/07 9:58 pm, Blogger Julie said...

I wish I could have been with you at Riverdance. I know it would have set my Celtic heart beating as well.

 
At 28/5/07 3:20 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Caroline said exactly what I would have wanted to say. You really have a way with words. Next weekend I have my ex-husband's nephew and his son visiting and it will be a more challenging experience, but I'll remember, thanks to you, to watch for the simple things.

I'm just now getting back into the swing of things reading my favorite blogs. And yours is one of them.

 
At 28/5/07 5:44 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The purple flowers are so vivid and beautiful.

It sounds like such a really wonderful weekend!

 
At 28/5/07 5:46 am, Blogger Amber said...

It sounds like you got a simple big dose of family love! That is nice. The flowers are lovely.

I would LOVE to see Riverdance. I laugh, because Wyatt has been showing me his version of "Irish dancing" the last couple days. it is pretty funny. He must have seen it somewhere.

:)

 
At 28/5/07 10:28 am, Blogger Caroline said...

I love all those details too. I can feel the remnants of their presence really clearly and smell it too.

 
At 28/5/07 6:18 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i loved 'discovering' those simple changes with you in your post. You really evoked that sort of 'regathering' we do after the busy joy of having visitors. P.S. you have also reminded me how much I would like to see Riverdance!

 
At 28/5/07 9:35 pm, Blogger Deirdre said...

I love Riverdance too. There are vague memories of learning Irish dancing in school, but I can't make my body remember the steps anymore.

The small, simple details of your weekend are just lovely. Sounds like you had a wonderful time.

 
At 28/5/07 11:04 pm, Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

You described a wonderful visit. My visitors leave messes and exhaustion. lol Good for you!

 
At 29/5/07 2:18 am, Blogger gautami tripathy said...

When someone close come to visit amd leave traces of themselves, it really feels good becos we relive those moments spend with them. You described that feeling very well here.

 
At 29/5/07 10:44 pm, Blogger Kara said...

I love how you told us about their visit based on what was left behind. Very sweet way and "simple" way to express it. Thank you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home