GreenishLady

Originally Blogging the Artist's Way. Thoughts, musings, experience of the 12-week course, January to March 2006. And after that?.... Life, creativity, writing. Where does it all meet? Here, perhaps.

Thursday, May 10, 2007

Poetry Thursday ---- Mary

This week's prompt from Poetry Thursday was to take a word generated by their new Randomizer, and make a poem from that. I've put my word into my notebook, and it is gently simmering at the moment, so maybe it will be ready for next week.

This week, because it's my sister's birthday (I have two sisters, and yes, I did post a poem for my younger sister back in March, when her birthday and engagement came around), but this time it's Mary's poem, and it's not a new one. I wrote it quite a while ago. But it all still holds true.

Mary

Mary has the arts
of home-making,
quiche-baking,
photo-taking
.... all sorted.

Mary is the master
of birthday-remembering,
kitchen-decorating,
.... five-plates-spinning.

Mary will organise
two weddings,
a christening,
and a surprise anniversary party
.... while we're all thinking about it.

Mary's a genius
at cheering up,
turning up,
being there.

Mary's the Big Sister.
------------------------------------

Over the past few years, Mary has been a rock of support to me. She DOES turn up - when I've been ill or low, she will get in her car, drive 5 hours and tell me it's no problem. She sends me little cards and trinkets to let me know she's thinking of me. She looks after so many people in this way. I count myself so lucky to have such a wonderful big sister, and in our family, not just my siblings, but all of my cousins too receive much more from Mary than we could ever give to her. Love you, Mary.

Labels: , , ,

16 Comments:

At 10/5/07 9:34 am, Blogger Rob Kistner said...

Sweet.

 
At 10/5/07 1:36 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed it. It reminds me of the roles that we all play within the family. I have a big sister that also takes care of me in much the same way that you describe. Oh how I love family!

Mistie

 
At 10/5/07 2:17 pm, Blogger Gino Brignoli said...

I know my fair share of Marys. Thank goodness! This was lovely GreenishLady.

 
At 10/5/07 2:54 pm, Blogger gautami tripathy said...

Beautiful sentiments...I too know a mary..

gautami
Nowhere Land

 
At 10/5/07 3:52 pm, Blogger Jim Brock said...

It's great to have those plate spinners, especially when what they do is also so graceful and gracious, not just being mad-capped about it.

 
At 10/5/07 6:25 pm, Blogger Regina said...

What a wonderful sister... we are lucky to have such people in our lives...

 
At 10/5/07 8:21 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a lovely tribute to such a wonderful sister! Makes me want to run and hug my own big sister.

 
At 10/5/07 9:33 pm, Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

That's some sister and tribute! If I had a sister I'd want one like her. Lucky you!

 
At 10/5/07 9:46 pm, Blogger Amber said...

I wish I were more like Mary!! If only. lol

:)

 
At 11/5/07 12:45 am, Blogger Becca said...

I feel as if I know your sister, just from your lovely poetic description. And how lucky you are to have an older sister, especially one who is obviously so special.

BTW, thanks for your comment today...very sage advice, which I will try to take :)

 
At 11/5/07 2:54 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah yes, big sisters can be useful, and a pain in the keister.

 
At 11/5/07 7:10 am, Blogger Kay Cooke said...

Being a big sister myself, this makes me feel weepy! That you love her right back is all she needs sis! :)

 
At 11/5/07 7:53 am, Blogger SquareTraveler said...

This is a well-constructed and very sweet tribute.

 
At 11/5/07 2:25 pm, Blogger Kara said...

You are lucky to have such a genuis sister and I bet she feels lucky to have a sister who can write a poem like that!

 
At 11/5/07 3:45 pm, Blogger Writing on Board said...

i want your mary. everyone should have a mary...

 
At 15/5/07 11:40 am, Blogger Clockworkchris said...

I am jealous totally that I don't have a big sister. Mine is a half-sister and she is so much older we don't have time for the heart to heart talks. You are truly blessed. A wonderful poem

 

Post a Comment

<< Home