GreenishLady

Originally Blogging the Artist's Way. Thoughts, musings, experience of the 12-week course, January to March 2006. And after that?.... Life, creativity, writing. Where does it all meet? Here, perhaps.

Sunday, March 02, 2008

Mother's Day. Me and my boy

I know it's not Mother's Day yet in the US, but here in Europe, it's today. It's even earlier than usual this year (it's normally mid-March). We're not together today, so I thought I'd put us here. I'm not with my Mum either, but I'm thinking of her and remembering the many gifts she's given me in my life. I'd like to celebrate her by showing you the two SoulCollage cards I've made for her.

This is the first one I made. The photo of Mother on horseback was taken when she and Dad were on their 1953 honeymoon. The preponderance of flowers honours her lifelong love of gardens. Having made this card, though, I felt there was something missing, some parts of the spirit of my mother that it hadn't captured. Some time later, I found the central image for the card that really contains the spirit (or neter) of my mother.

My mother loved the outdoors. My abiding memory of Mondays when I was at school is one of mother being overtaken with an urge to clear and clean, pulling furniture and "stuff" into the hallway, and half-way through the task, realising that the day was sunny. She'd wander into the garden to pull a few weeds, become transfixed with the song of the robin or blackbird, and she'd sit onto the backgarden swing to whistle along with them. That's where we'd find her when we came home! Who got the task of putting our rooms back in order? Us, of course! My mother loved picnics, daisy-chains and being with us.

I feel very blessed in my mother. I feel very blessed in my son. Even if it's not Mothers' Day where you are today, every day is a good day to remember.

--------------------------------

[Later: After a few people left similar comments, I need to point out that image of the woman on the swing is not my mother. It's an image culled from a magazine. It just reminds me so much of the spirit of my mother, I used it to represent her.]

----------------------------------------

Create Fake Magazine Covers with your own picture at MagMyPic.com

Labels: ,

17 Comments:

At 2/3/08 3:24 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't know Mother's Day was celebrated on a different day in Europe. I got a happy Mother's Day greeting on my blog today and was scratching my head (feeling like I was in a time machine?).

I love the collage with your mum on the swing. I've been wanting to get back into collage and seeing your soul cards and others is very inspiring.

 
At 2/3/08 4:10 pm, Blogger GraceBeading said...

Happy Mother's Day to you! I love the collage of your mother on the swing (GREAT photo) and the birds all around. Such a fun and happy piece.

 
At 2/3/08 5:50 pm, Blogger Lisa said...

Happy Mother's Day, Imelda. WOnderful tributes to the loves in your life.

 
At 2/3/08 11:09 pm, Blogger Catherine Anderson said...

Hello Imelda, I too am blessed with a wonderful relationship with my mother and my daughter. I also didn't realize how special this was until I found out how many people don't have this connection. I'm thinking of hosting a Mother-Daughter SoulCollage day on Mothers Day as a way to honor our special mothers.
Warmly,
Catherine
(from Charlotte, NC - who sat next to you at the SoulCollage conference in CA, USA)

 
At 3/3/08 2:06 am, Blogger Tammie Lee said...

Happy Mum's day to you and your mum. Your soul cards are wonderful, got to admit, I also love the one with her on the swing!I just love to swing.
Tammie

 
At 3/3/08 4:07 am, Blogger Rose said...

Happy Mother's Day! You have a cool mom.

 
At 3/3/08 4:57 am, Blogger Becca said...

How lovely, and Happy Mother's Day!

You mom sounds like a delightful lady. I adore the picture of her swinging - so full of life and merriment.

And the photo of you and your son is great! What a fun idea :)
Made me miss my (grown up) boy.

 
At 3/3/08 11:02 am, Blogger Taexalia said...

Aye Happy Mother's Day :)

I am also blessed with my Mum and thankful that we have such a great relationship. We weren't together yesterday either - but we'll be spending a week in a cabin on Loch Ness in a couple of weeks.

I love the cards for your Mother, she glows.

x

 
At 3/3/08 11:43 am, Blogger Karen said...

Oh what a wonderful picture of your mother swinging--her spirit shines through. And you've got a fine looking son! Happy Mother's Day!

 
At 3/3/08 9:31 pm, Blogger Judy Merrill-Smith said...

Happy Mother's Day (belatedly). I love your description of your mother wandering outside on a sunny day -- I think I may be a kindred spirit!

 
At 4/3/08 12:22 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a captivating and wonderful picture of your mother on the swing. I wish we all could feel so free and happy! Thanks for sharing this and happy mother's day to you!

 
At 5/3/08 2:37 am, Blogger Julie said...

Happy Mother's Day to you and to your mother. I love the fake mag cover and the collage.

What a lovely tribute to her.

Julie

 
At 6/3/08 4:04 am, Blogger Amber said...

Haha, I thought that was your mom, too. lol Still it is a beautiful collage. :)

And Happy Mother's day!

:)

 
At 6/3/08 9:12 pm, Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

Happy Mother's Day! What a handsome lad and beautiful collages.

I've been MIA due to flu but am creeping my way back.

XXOO

 
At 10/3/08 11:40 pm, Blogger Deirdra Doan said...

Thank you for your sweet comment on my husband John Doan's Celtic music. Yes Saint Melangell is a dear Irish woman....Your Mother looks like a sweet heart saint too! I would like to have been able to click on the image and make it bigger so I could see the one with a swing! I really loved it!

 
At 10/3/08 11:44 pm, Blogger Deirdra Doan said...

PS I have one darling Celtic Son too. His Dad was a Sharkey and my Father was a Bailey from Ireland. I know a tiny bit about the Celtic men. But especially Celtic Son's who love their mother. Blessings on you for St. Patricks Day...You made my day writing.

 
At 10/3/08 11:53 pm, Blogger Deirdra Doan said...

You inspired me to change my photo...Greenish Lady.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home