GreenishLady

Originally Blogging the Artist's Way. Thoughts, musings, experience of the 12-week course, January to March 2006. And after that?.... Life, creativity, writing. Where does it all meet? Here, perhaps.

Sunday, February 17, 2008

Sunday Scribblings: Sleep

......Before I Sleep

It is way past my bed-time. I should already be in the arms of sleep, but here I am, stretched on my living-room couch, a soft chennille throw around my knees, laptop resting on top, as I tap out the words that will send me, as soon as I've hit the "publish" button, to make my preparations for my night's sleep.

I'll wander the house flicking blinds closed, switching off kettle and microwave, turning keys. I'll gather the pile of newspapers that sit on my coffee-table and move them to the kitchen. I may pause at the study window to check whether the moon is visible tonight, and if it is, if the garden is illuminated at all, my gaze is likely to pause a little while at Trixie's resting place. Before I sleep most nights, sometimes silently, often in a whisper I will say "Miss you, Girlie".

I will do the tooth-brushing and the face-cleaning, gather my spectacles and mobile phone up, and check the front-door is locked properly before I move to the stairs.

These nights, my pyjamas are big, loose, softly-brushed cotton, in pale green with sprigs of pink flowers. Cosy, comfy, winter pyjamas. If the night is really frosty, I may take my ric-rac rainbow afghan and spread it over the centre of my bed, to add a layer of extra weight and warmth to the light and airy duvet that usually covers me. I am always glad to slip between the Egyptian cotton sheets that I love. They are cool at first, and smooth, but then as they warm, they offer such comfort, such pleasure.

Two books rest on the shelf behind my bed, one to write, and one to read. The reading is from a daily devotional book with Baha'i readings called "Nearness to God". My Gratitude Notebook (#7) receives a paragraph, or sometimes a bulleted list of 10 things for which I am grateful today. Tonight it will read:

Saturday, 16th February, 2008: Tonight I am grateful for A, for her travelling despite the problem with her car, for her determination to not let me down. I'm grateful for the wonderful breakfast we shared, and that we got to town to meet K for coffee. I'm grateful for the exhibition of photos we got to see, and the special book I found to take home. I'm grateful for the laughter we shared as we watched Ratatouille. I'm grateful for the lady in the art shop who cut the cards I needed at short notice. I'm grateful for the food I had in the fridge that allowed me to put together such a strange but satisfying dinner for us. I'm grateful for the happiness A has in her life, and I am grateful for her presence in mine.

I will close the books, return them to their shelf, slip my glasses into their case, leave my wristwatch on the shelf beside my phone, I'll rub some ointment on my feet and hands, turn off the light, and turn on my side, snuggle down into my wonderful bed, and allow myself to slip easily and gladly into sleep.
________________________________

Other Sunday Scribblings on the topic of Sleep will be found Here.

Labels: ,

18 Comments:

At 17/2/08 3:13 am, Blogger paisley said...

what a soothing routine you follow... it makes me wonder if just blowing the dog hair off the pillow and laying down is not a bit lacking in the ritual department.....

 
At 17/2/08 3:24 am, Blogger Julie said...

My winter pjs are so soft. They're cream with little lavender flowers. Just looking at them makes me feel warm. And I wear socks to bed - I don't care if it is not romantic.

You brought tears to my eyes when you wrote about talking to your girlie. Of the three dogs we have had to put to sleep, we only brought Brandy back home and put her in the far back yard. (we later learned it is against the law to do this). It was a mistake to do so, we learned, as our daughter would no longer even go in the back yard. Brandy was her baby and it was just too hard for her.

 
At 17/2/08 4:46 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a lovely routine you follow! I so long to find a routine of my own during these long nights when my house is sparsely-occupied.

Gratitude Journals are quite a lovely thing to have, aren't they?

 
At 17/2/08 8:44 am, Blogger Caroline said...

Your before sleep sequence is lovely. Trixie is poignantly present in your words. She was such a wonderful character and companion wasn't she.

Sweet dreams to you.

 
At 17/2/08 8:14 pm, Blogger myrtle beached whale said...

enjoyable read. do you suffer from a bit of insomnia?

 
At 17/2/08 9:19 pm, Blogger Tumblewords: said...

Soothing, yes, and inspiring! Lovely and gentle post - thanks!

 
At 17/2/08 10:02 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Truly a wonderful & relaxing bedtime ritual. What better way to fall asleep than thinking about & recording the things in life you're most grateful for.

 
At 17/2/08 11:56 pm, Blogger Lisa said...

Beautiful! You make me want to run out and buy some comfy pjs and a good book. Sweet dreams.

 
At 18/2/08 1:16 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found this piece of writing clever in that personal, quiet way we comfort ourselves. I always wonder about the process of repetition and ritual before I lay myself down to sleep. I also always wonder about the the quiet voice in one's mind, which I hear so clearly in your writing. It is not just about a bedtime ritual it is also about self-care. And your 'girlie' is a powerful image. Thank you for sharing that slice of life.

 
At 18/2/08 11:52 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got comfy PJs and a book to read. I brush my long hair too.

Thats about it.

snooze time, baby!

 
At 18/2/08 9:13 pm, Blogger Becca said...

This was so relaxing to read - I feel as if I should snuggle under the covers myself.

I did shed a tear when you wrote about stopping to say goodnight to Trixie. What a lovely little ritual to remember her with:)

 
At 18/2/08 10:59 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reading your words - though there was a little tug at the heartstrings there, hugs to you and sweet thoughts to Trixie - I feel so calm and relaxed, almost as though I were winding down, getting ready to sleep myself. It's only late afternoon here, I think I will have to come back and read your words again at bedtime. So calming and peaceful...
Nighty-night, sleep tight - sweet dreams, dear Imelda~xo

 
At 18/2/08 11:40 pm, Blogger anthonynorth said...

A gentle, slumbering, read. I shouldn't read posts on this prompt so late.
Enjoyed this.

 
At 19/2/08 2:39 pm, Blogger Karen said...

This is such lovely writing...I really felt like I was with you, experiencing your nightly routine.

 
At 19/2/08 8:58 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I’m new to the SS scene and have been visiting participants’ sites as I have time. You’re sleep piece flowed so well...I enjoyed it so much that it’d be something of a literary crime not to let you know!

 
At 20/2/08 1:24 am, Blogger Fran aka Redondowriter said...

Ah, I love hearing about people's routines. I definitely have my morning and bedtime ones, which might be why there is no longer a man in my life. I'm weird!

 
At 20/2/08 3:54 pm, Blogger Lila Rostenberg said...

So peaceful and soothing! Your friend "A" is a true blessing!

 
At 22/2/08 6:48 am, Blogger daringtowrite said...

Count me along with those who enjoyed hearing about your pathway into sleep. I so enjoy the intimacy of details. Thanks Imelda.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home