GreenishLady

Originally Blogging the Artist's Way. Thoughts, musings, experience of the 12-week course, January to March 2006. And after that?.... Life, creativity, writing. Where does it all meet? Here, perhaps.

Thursday, March 02, 2006

A Thursday Poem

This one is by Eavan Boland, and is beloved by many, especially, I think, Mothers everywhere.

Night Feed

This is dawn.
Believe me
This is your season, little daughter.
The moment daisies open,
The hour mercurial rainwater
Makes a mirror for sparrows.
It’s time we drowned our sorrows.

I tiptoe in.
I lift you up
Wriggling
In your rosy, zipped sleeper.
Yes, this is the hour
For the early bird and me
When finder is keeper.

I crook the bottle.
How you suckle!
This is the best I can be,
Housewife
To this nursery
Where you hold on,
Dear life.

A silt of milk
The last suck.
And now your eyes are open,
Birth-coloured and offended.
Earth wakes.
You go back to sleep.
The feed is ended.

Worms turn
Stars go in.
Even the moon is losing face.
Poplars stilt for dawn
And we begin
The long fall from grace.
I tuck you in.


Eavan Boland

9 Comments:

At 2/3/06 7:17 pm, Blogger kellie said...

Wow! That is gorgeous! Thank you for sharing this bit of word-wonder! Hope you had a good dawn. ;)

 
At 2/3/06 10:45 pm, Blogger snowsparkle said...

this brought a rush of memories of early morning nursing my newborn son. i was way too tired back then to have ever articulated the experience as well as you have done here. so lovely! thank you!

 
At 2/3/06 11:51 pm, Blogger Sky said...

Your daughter will love that you wrote this! Imagine when she can read this. :) Thanks for sharing this with us.

 
At 3/3/06 2:22 am, Blogger gkgirl said...

sigh...
this was so sweet
and warm...
i love the finder/keeper line...
great choice
thanks for sharing it
:)

 
At 3/3/06 4:46 am, Blogger Cate said...

I'm dabbing at my eyes here. This fits my mood. Thank you for posting this--I'm grateful!

 
At 3/3/06 6:32 am, Blogger Maureen said...

I can remember those feelings exactly. From a looooong time ago when our kids were we ones. Thanks for sharing that one for thursday's poetry. I like it -- and I hadn't heard of Eavan Boland until just now. thanks!
Maureen shaughnessy

 
At 3/3/06 6:36 am, Blogger liz elayne lamoreux said...

oh this is beautiful.
worms turn
stars go in.
love this. thank you for sharing this today.

 
At 3/3/06 9:14 am, Blogger GreenishLady said...

Whoa, Whoa... a couple of people seem to think I wrote it..... I only wish! I can agree about how beautiful it is, because Eavan Boland wrote it.

 
At 3/3/06 4:21 pm, Blogger goodwolve said...

I love that. It reminds me of those sweet morning moments when My Sparkly Girl was little... seems like years ago.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home