GreenishLady

Originally Blogging the Artist's Way. Thoughts, musings, experience of the 12-week course, January to March 2006. And after that?.... Life, creativity, writing. Where does it all meet? Here, perhaps.

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Luxury - An Abundance of Pineapple

There is a section in this week's chapter on Luxury, and for one of the people mentioned it's raspberries that evoke a sense of luxury. Something I've never, ever done for myself is to buy a fresh pineapple. Now, they cost about twice the price of a tin of pineapple, half the price of a pack of cigarettes ( I used to smoke up to 6 years ago), and still the idea of buying one seems like real extravagance. ... You know what's coming, don't you? - I did, I did, I bought a pineapple, I peeled and cut it up, and had a big bowl of pineapple for my lunch today! Lovely. Long ago, my mother bought a pineapple, and it probably wasn't properly ripened, but it was a huge disappointment, tough and flavourless, and maybe I was left with the feeling that "you pay all this money for something, and it probably won't live up to your expectations" so to avoid the disappointment, I have avoided the possibility of pleasure also - with regard to pineapples... maybe with regard to other things, too.

It's a fruit! What's the big deal? The big deal is that it isn't a big deal, and still it was a big deal. Further, it's such a big deal, there is the memory of a dream of refusing to buy a pineapple, not because I couldn't afford it, but because I couldn't figure out if it was worth the cost, despite the fact that I wanted that pineapple. Well, friends, before this evening is out, the remains of that pineapple will have been juicily, sloppily and joyfully consumed. ..... Mangoes, here I come!

10 Comments:

At 15/2/06 7:26 pm, Blogger Leah said...

yummy!!! i did something similar awhile back trying different fruits like pomegranates and mangoes. it was great fun. :-)

 
At 15/2/06 7:46 pm, Blogger Lauri said...

Fresh pineapple is so much better than canned...but, yeah, it is a pain! And like kat said, mangoes! When they are ripe they are like heaven!

 
At 16/2/06 2:44 am, Blogger Alex S said...

Yes, it IS a big deal, I agree! The image of you enjoying this pineapple is beautiful. May you treat yourself again many a time more!

 
At 16/2/06 3:16 am, Blogger Kara said...

Yeah, Greenishlady - you've got the idea of luxury going right to my taste buds. I bought myself fresh blueberries yesterday. Yum.... Thanks for the inspiring post.

 
At 16/2/06 3:59 am, Blogger kellie said...

Hooray for you! What a great story!

 
At 16/2/06 4:35 pm, Blogger Otter said...

I'm glad you took the chance and bought a little luxury. It is true that as humans we often avoid the pain and disppointment of things only to short change ourselves on pleasure even the possibilty of pleasure.
Well said G.L.

 
At 16/2/06 6:07 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

Hands up, this is a drive by fruiting!Nice blog and I can really relate to your profile. I should be working on my book but here I am blogging and commenting on yours. Kiss Ireland for me!

 
At 16/2/06 7:07 pm, Blogger eliza said...

yes! that raspberry example in the book was very helpful, i thought. your pineapple post just drives it home. i need to incorporate more luxurious fruit into my expanding understanding and embrace of abundance. like, weekly. yes! i have resolved to buy fresh flowers for the altar in my meditation room each week. now it's time for a weekly fruit splurge. it seems a really good value, when you do the math...

 
At 19/2/06 9:29 pm, Blogger Laura said...

I smiled to read this - I was salivating for pineapple, you were so happy about it. (And I don't love pineapple, though it's okay - I was just reacting to your yummy description!)

 
At 3/7/06 12:07 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home