GreenishLady

Originally Blogging the Artist's Way. Thoughts, musings, experience of the 12-week course, January to March 2006. And after that?.... Life, creativity, writing. Where does it all meet? Here, perhaps.

Sunday, February 05, 2006

Inspiration Share (2)

One of the many, many poems of Billy Collins that I can read over and over again - and which I offer to any group of people with whom I facilitate creative writing sessions. I love to share it, so here it is:


The Dead

The dead are always looking down on us, they say,
while we are putting on our shoes or making a sandwich,
they are looking down through the glass-bottom boats of
heaven
as they row themselves slowly through eternity.

They watch the tops of our heads moving below on earth,
and when we lie down in a field or on a couch,
drugged perhaps by the hum of a warm afternoon,
they think we are looking back at them,

which makes them lift their oars and fall silent
and wait, like parents, for us to close our eyes.

3 Comments:

At 5/2/06 5:29 pm, Blogger kellie said...

Wow!! I love this! I can't wait to share it. "The glass-bottom boats of heaven"!!!!!!

Thank you for this!

 
At 5/2/06 8:48 pm, Blogger Kara said...

Love both of your inspiration shares. Thanks. It is sooo good to be back. I missed this....ah....

 
At 6/2/06 3:02 pm, Blogger Otter said...

Billy Collins Rocks!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home