GreenishLady

Originally Blogging the Artist's Way. Thoughts, musings, experience of the 12-week course, January to March 2006. And after that?.... Life, creativity, writing. Where does it all meet? Here, perhaps.

Saturday, January 21, 2006

The Winter Picnic Artist Date

Kara asked had I had my winter picnic. I said No, the weather was awful. Couldn't do it. That was true yesterday, but today, so calm, so mild, such a blue sky! - I just had to do it for my Artist Date. Made up a flask (thermos) of hot chocolate, took a couple of sweet marshmallow biscuits, a picnic rug, and my walking boots, wrapped up warm and headed to the beach, and I managed to get in quite a few of my 20 things there. Drove to the beach with loud music playing, walked until I found my spot - by some rocks, laid down my little rug, for my picnic, and just sat in the roar of the surf. The good weather had brought out a lot of walkers (or maybe these hardy people walk the beach in wind and rain too - a lot of them had dogs), so quite a few gave me a second glance as they murmured "Great day" or "Mild, isn't it?", but I still felt like I had time entirely to myself. I gathered some shells, sat some more, and then walked on in a circle through some woods back to my car, with a pause at a picnic seat on a height to survey the beach for another while (and to finish off my chocolate!).

There was so much that was different about doing this in this season. A winter picnic isn't plagued by flies, doesn't have dry sand blowing in your face. On the right day, I would highly recommend it! Walking through the woods, I saw things I wouldn't notice later in the year. One gigantic oak, devoid of leaves, showed up its high branches, covered in so much moss that now ferns have taken root there. It looked so magical and wild, so ancient and special... I wished I had a working camera, but it seems in some way that on this occasion, I was meant to just be feeding my inner artist, not doing any art. I didn't bring a notebook or pen, sketchbook or pencil. I had a book with me, but didn't read. I just soaked up feeling good. Ah, but ideas - for more dates. ... Along the beach came a string of horses, just ambling along. Some of them were being led, so I presume the riders weren't experienced, and my inner 14-year old started yelling "I want to do that. I want to ride a horse along the beach" So, I promised her! - It's going to have to happen! In the village near the beach, there was a bric-a-brac shop, and I thought I'll go back there some time (or find antique shops, just to browse).

WEEK 2 CHECK-IN
I don't plan to do the entire check-in here. I've written it in my journal, and have already commented on some of the issues here. I did my pages seven mornings (do I get a gold star?)

One issue (is it an issue) - one thing I noticed was this 14-year old (mentioned above). Now she just appeared out of the blue today. Last time I did the Artist's Way, I was accompanied by an 8-year-old. The 14-year-old - well, I know this is me before Life happened, and her appearance made me feel a little bit sad in some ways. I really didn't know who I was at 14, felt like a wisp of smoke, and still here I am, and it's almost that I have to reclaim this girl, or recognise her ... I mention this because it came so unexpectedly to me. I think I'm going to need to focus on nurturing her in my artist's dates. Ok.

What else did I notice? A feeling of clearing going on. Making space, getting delayed tasks (little domestic things) out of the way, rising energy, and connections falling into place - right person, right book, right comment at the right time.

It's been a very good week. Here's to Week 3!

3 Comments:

At 22/1/06 1:49 am, Blogger Leah said...

cheers to week 3!

what a sumptuous ad!! sounds perfect.

5 million dancing *gold stars* for you.

:-)

 
At 22/1/06 5:08 am, Blogger Laura said...

What a wonderful Artist's Date! Makes me wish I could do something similar. (And at some point I may: it's not practical just now between driving time and recent flooding, unfortunately.)

 
At 23/1/06 3:17 am, Blogger Kara said...

Oh, I just love coming here to read about your journey. Your Artist Date sounds so wonderful. Glad you are on the journey and just beginning blogging like me. Gold stars galore for you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home