GreenishLady

Originally Blogging the Artist's Way. Thoughts, musings, experience of the 12-week course, January to March 2006. And after that?.... Life, creativity, writing. Where does it all meet? Here, perhaps.

Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Tastes of Paris





Paris had its share of wonderful things on show.






Umbrellas that looked like the cutest little ladies wearing boots. Sweet.




Artists sketching a Rodin here and there
(Here, outside the Musee de l'Orangerie..... Oooooh. Those Waterlilies!)




A street of quaint apartment buildings, where it seemed you could stretch out your hand and touch the geraniums in your neighbour's window-box.


La Tour d'Eiffel.... of course!









..
.
.
.
.
.
and Oh!... Monet's garden at Giverny













Sacre Coeur at Montmartre, (and the square full of artists with their wares hidden behind the basilica)
,










The wonderful, beautiful River Seine (and a dinner thereon at night ... Special, so special!)


And, though some may think it blasphemous of me to say it, a truly religious experience at "Laduree" salon de thé and patissier. See that pastry at the front? It's called the "Divine". The ones at right and left rear are known as "Religueses".

We felt very blessed to experience such delights!

...
These are mere glimpses, tiny morsels of the wonders we encountered. I cannot share with you the sound of birdsong at Giverny or the scent of wisteria falling over a wall. I cannot show you the fire-juggler we encountered in the square before Notre Dame on Friday night. The beauty of the water-lily paintings at l'Orangerie has to be experienced in situ. The sight of the architecture of Paris as evening gives way to night, and lights begin to highlight its magnificence anew I cannot share either; nor the delight we all felt when at 10pm as we returned from our dinner cruise the Eiffel tower began to sparkle and twinkle like a fairy-thing. I can only tell you that Paris was worth waiting 34 years for! I'm so glad I got to return, and to share it this time with my sisters and my friends.
In the course of the three days we each exclaimed quite often how lucky we are, how very lucky and fortunate to have been there, to have met such charming and kind people, to have witnessed so much beauty.
I'm only sorry I cannot truly share it with you, but I hope this glimpse goes somewhere towards that.
..
..
..
[Added later: While I can't give you the full experience, some people on Youtube have managed to capture the twinkling Eiffel tower. There's a visit to Giverny with some nice music HERE (Couldn't find the birdsong... so sorry!)

Labels: ,

15 Comments:

At 7/5/08 11:12 pm, Blogger Becca said...

Your excitement is infectious! I'm so glad you had such a memorable time.

I keep having opportunities to go to France, and I keep having to turn them down. It's heartbreaking, especially after seeing your photos and reading your descriptions.

Pauvre moi :(

 
At 8/5/08 1:02 am, Blogger Laume said...

Oooooh! You seemed to fit SO MUCH into a long weekend! That first window scene - we loved that store and bought a few goodies to bring home from there. We also went to Rodin's garden and... well, everywhere you went. Laduree was on my MUST DO list and we loved it so much we went back for a second time and tried to go to the Laduree in London (it was closed, but someone recommended The Woseley, which was very posh and a different experience altogether). Your prose at the end of your post was very poetic and very true. Paris feels that way.

 
At 8/5/08 1:04 am, Blogger Laume said...

Oh - except we didn't go on a boat ride. Maybe next time!

 
At 8/5/08 1:48 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved your pictures! As for the rest, the things you say can’t show, I would disagree and say that you did, for when I read this, “…at 10pm as we returned from our dinner cruise the Eiffel tower began to sparkle and twinkle like a fairy-thing,” I could imagine the shape of the Eiffel tower in the night, studded with twinkling, dancing, magical lights, and I felt free and smiling in the cool, moving air, amazed to be here in this huge world of wonders, walking, touching and laughing all giddy with the sharing of this once in a lifetime experience! :-)

 
At 8/5/08 9:42 am, Blogger Caroline said...

It sounds and looks like you had a most wonderful time.


I've never been... you are making me wonder if I should...

 
At 8/5/08 10:53 am, Blogger LadyNoor said...

I've always wanted to go to Europe... Paris, Rome... Hmmm, I'm daydreaming now.

Thanks for sharing glimpses from your trip, they look so inviting..

 
At 8/5/08 5:41 pm, Blogger Diane M. Roth said...

wow! it sounds just fabulous! thanks for sharing the pictures... and the divine dessert!

 
At 8/5/08 6:03 pm, Blogger Amber said...

Oh my gosh. *happy sigh* How I LOVE Paris. And "in the spring time"? Lucky duck.

:)

 
At 8/5/08 10:09 pm, Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

I feel like I've just visited with you but I really wanted a taste of those desserts. :)

Welcome home! HUG

 
At 9/5/08 5:31 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh thank you, Imelda! Though being there in person would be ideal, this is the next best thing to being there - the photos are gorgeous, and your descriptions of the sights, scents and sounds bring the photos to life...
p.s. Those pastries do look divine!

 
At 9/5/08 5:31 am, Blogger Fran aka Redondowriter said...

I've been in the Paris airport but never in Paris. I just love these photos. Thanks so much for sharing them.

 
At 9/5/08 5:10 pm, Blogger Phyl said...

How divine! (Sorry...couldn't resist...lol.) Now I have this burning desire to go to Paris. My youngest dd has always said that she will honeymoon there.

I am thrilled you had such a wonderful time!

 
At 11/5/08 1:54 pm, Blogger World So Wide said...

Looks like you went to see places in and around Paris I would have liked to see - particularly Monet's garden (I've never been there).

Nice pictures and text!

 
At 13/5/08 8:10 pm, Blogger Karen said...

Wow--what a weekend!

 
At 16/5/08 3:11 pm, Blogger Lila Rostenberg said...

Thanks for sharing your wonderful photos...I was in Paris in May once, LONG ago!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home