GreenishLady

Originally Blogging the Artist's Way. Thoughts, musings, experience of the 12-week course, January to March 2006. And after that?.... Life, creativity, writing. Where does it all meet? Here, perhaps.

Saturday, December 22, 2007

The Light Returns


Solstice has always fascinated me. Perhaps because my father's birthday is at the summer solstice, I've been aware since I was very young that the days get longer, and then shorter, and then longer again, and the points in the year at which the changes occur have always seemed magical and special to me.

When I was around 10 years old, I spotted a newspaper article about excavations on an ancient Irish monument which predates Stonehenge and the Egyptian pyramids, and the discovery that it had special significance at the winter solstice. So fascinated was I that I created a special scrap-book for any information I could gather about Newgrange. Strangely, I've never been there yet, but hope to some day be present for this event. (You'll need to choose to look at the archive, and the piece is 60 minutes long, but the first 5 minutes will let you see what it's about!)
.
This is my greeting to all of my BlogLand friends for the Holiday season - whatever way you may celebrate.
.
Let the return of the light bring blessings and joy to you and to yours. Let it bring ease and comfort. Let it be a reminder that we are living amidst cycles within cycles, and that the shadow comes with the light, the light with the shadow. Let your heart be peaceful, and your soul joyful.
.
I will be away for a week, visiting my family, but I look forward to meeting you all again as 2008 approaches.
.
Namaste, my friends.

Labels: , , ,

13 Comments:

At 22/12/07 1:23 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful pic!
And I really like this post on the solstice.
Happy holidays to you too!

 
At 22/12/07 6:08 pm, Blogger kaleidoblog said...

Blessings to you in this season of returning light.

 
At 22/12/07 9:10 pm, Blogger Kara said...

What an elegant greeting - thank you! May your peaceful heart and joyful soul celebrate your visit with family. Namaste and blessings,
Kara

 
At 22/12/07 11:32 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A very Merry Christmas to you. I hope you enjoy the holiday with your family. I love the winter solstice, as it means that the days will get longer and lighter. While I love winter, I don't love the dark days.

 
At 23/12/07 4:14 am, Blogger paisley said...

what an absolutely amazing video.. i have never heard of this place... thank you so much for helping to bring it to the fore... merry christmas....

 
At 23/12/07 4:56 am, Blogger Forgetfulone said...

Beautiful post and photo. Happy holidays!

 
At 23/12/07 6:49 pm, Blogger Jo said...

Beautiful, as always. Namaste....

 
At 24/12/07 3:54 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Holidays! Here's to the new light and the New Year!

 
At 24/12/07 4:27 pm, Blogger susan said...

Thansk for the peace-filled message.

 
At 26/12/07 10:41 am, Blogger Tinker said...

Wishing you light and blessings, Imelda - happy holidays~xOx

 
At 26/12/07 4:10 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful post!

Great photo!

 
At 30/12/07 2:58 am, Blogger Amber said...

Blessings to you, as well. That picture is so beautiful... And hey! My mom's birthday is on the Summer solstice, too.

:)

 
At 1/1/08 4:21 am, Blogger Fran aka Redondowriter said...

Imelda, I know you are visiting family, but I just wanted to drop by and say happy new year.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home