GreenishLady

Originally Blogging the Artist's Way. Thoughts, musings, experience of the 12-week course, January to March 2006. And after that?.... Life, creativity, writing. Where does it all meet? Here, perhaps.

Sunday, November 04, 2007

NaNoWriMo Madness has struck!!!!

I said I wouldn't do it. It doesn't make sense this year. I have busy days, busy evenings, travelling to do. I have no time to spare. I had no intention - believe me - no intention whatsoever of launching into the crazy madness of attempting to write a novel in 30 days, but something happened on Saturday morning. Was that 3rd November? Yes, see, I was home and there was this laptop there, and it called me. I distinctly heard it whispering "Hey, Me-e-e-el ! Remember me?... Remember why you bought me last year?... Aren't you going to even think about it?"

And suddenly there I was making coffee in my Minnie Mouse mug (that's my NaNo mug, you know), putting on snuggly socks, and heading back to bed with the electrical lead for my laptop, and there was a rush of adrenalin when I opened the folder where all last year's files were waiting. Prompt pages, wordcount spreadsheets.

I did try to tell myself that it was madness, total madness. I didn't even have an idea. I didn't even have a title. I didn't even know where to start. But I did start. So, at the end of day 4 of NaNoWriMo, I have one day's worth of writing done. I have a title. I have an idea that excited me, and I'm thinking the birthday present I want most on my 50th birthday (1st December - the day after NaNo ends) is a 50,000 word manuscript sitting on my desk. And only I can give that to me. And if that's what I want, then I think I should put the effort into doing it. So I'm going to try.

I have to suspend all judgements and considerations of quality or logic. I have to just write.

Am I doing the right thing? Am I mad? AAaaaagh!

(Oh.... and this should explain any and all absences, or cryptic comments or messages dropped in odd places. Please accept my apologies in advance for strange behaviours. I'm fairly sure I won't be myself for the remainder of November. Normal service will be resumed sometime in 2008!)

Labels: ,

14 Comments:

At 5/11/07 3:25 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck! 50,000 words, here you come.

 
At 5/11/07 8:23 pm, Blogger Betty Carlson said...

Good luck on your endeavour! I resisted the many NaNo...temptations at the moment, but did make some good personal resolutions about writing.

 
At 5/11/07 11:15 pm, Blogger Becca said...

Welcome to the madness! It's good to have some company to go crazy with!

May I add you as a writing buddy?

 
At 6/11/07 6:33 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay, you! I'm so glad you joined us. Write on, my friend, write on!

 
At 6/11/07 8:27 pm, Blogger Amber said...

Just dropping in to say hi, and give "hugs"... Hope all is well with you.

oxox :)

 
At 7/11/07 11:43 am, Blogger Jo said...

Hi Imelda,

Just stopped by to tell you that my new read arrived yesterday, and I'm really enjoying it. You have a lovely style....when I've finished, I'll tell you my favourites!

 
At 8/11/07 8:04 pm, Blogger Amber said...

No, you are not mad! Go go go! You can do it!

:)

 
At 10/11/07 3:52 pm, Blogger Kara said...

Hey that is great! May the madness be fruitful and fulfilling!

 
At 11/11/07 2:11 am, Blogger Wyanne Thompson said...

Wow...this is fabulous! And I thought my 30 day intention to open my studio and have a show was ambitious! Good luck...you can do it!

 
At 11/11/07 3:04 am, Blogger Julie said...

I had some quiet time today, on a golden November afternoon, to read your book, and enjoyed it so much!

Please, please, when you come up for air from NANOWRIMO, do email me your email address and your snail mail address.

Hugs,

Julie

 
At 11/11/07 5:00 am, Blogger daringtowrite said...

Way to go -- heeding the call! One of these years, I think I'll give it a go myself. A couple of my writing friends are working on novels, but I've never had an idea for one. Maybe that doesn't matter? May if I begin to write, the idea will come?

I'm eager to hear about and read yours.

 
At 17/11/07 5:37 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just popping in to say "Hi! Hope the writing's going well!"

:-)

 
At 22/11/07 3:57 am, Blogger Julie said...

Hello,

Still in NANOWRIMO mode? I want to wish you a Happy American Thanksgiving. I am blessed, thankful and grateful to have you in my life.

Hugs,

Julie

 
At 25/11/07 1:56 am, Blogger Mahima Shrestha said...

right thing, i don't know.
but you are doing an amazing thing!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home