GreenishLady

Originally Blogging the Artist's Way. Thoughts, musings, experience of the 12-week course, January to March 2006. And after that?.... Life, creativity, writing. Where does it all meet? Here, perhaps.

Monday, May 08, 2006

Life's Little Lessons

I wanted to accompany this post with a photo of a pewter (I think) plaque that sits in my study, but I've learnt that digital photography has limitations, and one of them is taking photos of dark objects. It wouldn't come out clear, so I will tell you what the plaque says. It says "I am still learning" Michelangelo said that in his 87th year. (Ancora Imparo). What's good enough for Michelangelo is good enough for me, so I will join the new Life's Little Lessons this week, to try to gather together the lessons that have been there for me to learn.

1 I learnt that even though I may wake up not wanting to follow through on a day's plans, getting up and putting one foot in front of the other will help the day turn out better than I might expect.

2 I learnt that if I'm ever again invited to a ball, I should wholeheartedly give myself to the experience and enjoy, enjoy, enjoy. They don't come around often enough for any other response!

3 I learnt that there are fairy godmothers and guardian angels all around me, disguised as friends and family.

4 I learnt that when there is an unpleasant or difficult task to be done, sometimes I can do it alone, once I know that there are people who would be there to support me, should I ask.

5 I learnt that I have gathered more knowledge than I'd realised about birds, and that it is good to share a little of what I have learnt.

(a sixth...) I learnt (or was reminded again) that the root of the word "arrogance" is the Greek Arogare, which means "to claim for oneself" and at times, arrogance doesn't deserve the bad press it gets. It's ok to toot your horn, blow your trumpet, or be pleased with yourself when you've achieved something, or come through some difficulty.

6 Comments:

At 8/5/06 11:05 pm, Blogger Jennifer S. said...

Great life lessons. I am going to start doing this too. Thanks for the inspiration.

 
At 9/5/06 4:15 am, Blogger Deirdre said...

Important lessons. Thanks for the reminder.

 
At 10/5/06 5:04 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing the lessons learned - and there's nothing wrong with tooting your own horn when the occasion calls for it

 
At 10/5/06 5:15 am, Blogger kelly rae said...

loved what you said about arrogance. to claim oneself. love that!

 
At 10/5/06 5:30 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, love your own life's lessons--and I'm checking out the site you mention. And thanks for your wonderful comment at S.O.

 
At 10/5/06 1:02 pm, Blogger kerrdelune said...

(Quote) It's ok to toot your horn, blow your trumpet, or be pleased with yourself when you've achieved something, or come through some difficulty.

This is a blog entry I shall return to again and again, and they are words to remember!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home