GreenishLady

Originally Blogging the Artist's Way. Thoughts, musings, experience of the 12-week course, January to March 2006. And after that?.... Life, creativity, writing. Where does it all meet? Here, perhaps.

Thursday, April 27, 2006

Thursday Poem

Liz, instigator, initiator and inspiration behind Poetry Thursday, asked that I share this poem with you. It was shortlisted for a competition recently, and to my delight, included in a festival annual - along with luminaries like Seamus Heaney and Mark Doty. And I was just thrilled to find my poem on the page facing one by Nikki Giovanni - whom I'd only come across a few weeks ago, when Liz put this link on her page. The first line was given to me by Cathal O'Searcaigh, a wonderful Irish-language poet and one of the most inspiring workshop leaders I've ever come across.



My country tastes of Blackberries and Brambles,


of thorns and fallen leaves.
Her mouth is full of little apples, bitter sloes.
There is the must of autumn on her breath.

My country’s coat is all pulled threads,
lost buttons. Her treasures have slipped
from torn pockets,
lost on leaf-littered paths,
among broken conker-shells,
beech-mast scatterings.

My country is no simple place.
Her heart has fool and fury written on it.
Her eyes range wide, settle seldom.
My country has an ancient, sometimes cruel face.

9 Comments:

At 27/4/06 10:36 am, Blogger Endment said...

Your words catch at my heart

 
At 27/4/06 12:20 pm, Blogger Sky said...

WOW - congratulations at the accomplishment and at the company you keep!

Thanks for sharing. I would love to know more about the making of the poem and the feelings which stirred you in the process...it is very sad to me.

 
At 27/4/06 12:52 pm, Blogger bee said...

this is a wonderful poem. thank you for sharing it.

 
At 27/4/06 1:10 pm, Blogger jenclair said...

I love this poem and have now put it in my personal anthology! Thanks!

 
At 27/4/06 1:25 pm, Blogger Jennifer S. said...

Wow! this is truly incredible.

 
At 28/4/06 3:09 pm, Blogger GreenishLady said...

Thank you all for your comments. Sky asks about the process. This poem was written in a very natural way -- , see where that line takes me, don't think or judge the images that emerge from the first impression - an autumn impression - and I just jotted the lines on the page. I'll allow it has a sad tone, but I didn't necessarily FEEL sad the day I wrote it. I just allowed the feeling of the first line to enter me... Does that make sense? If asked to say what it means, I would have to say it's not about my literal country, more about a place one might inhabit in an emotional or psychic sense, and not necessarily about MY emotional country, either. Just one I can relate to. This particular piece was written in a workshop and I made no changes to it from the first draft. This is the way it emerged. Hope that answers the question, Sky. Thank you for asking.

 
At 28/4/06 7:58 pm, Blogger liz elayne lamoreux said...

oh my heart expands as i come here and read your words...your poem. The second stanza speaks to me so much...the images it evokes. i want to take a walk and look for these treasures.

thank you sharing this my dear. thank you.

 
At 28/4/06 10:26 pm, Blogger Rebekah said...

I am transported by your melancholy words that are accompanied by smells and images and sensations. What a gift to be able to evoke such a resonation with relatively few words. Congratulations on deservedly being recognized.

 
At 1/5/06 12:06 pm, Blogger kerrdelune said...

A poem full of nostalgia, pathos and rich imagery, and an absolute wonder - thank you! Cheers, Cate

 

Post a Comment

<< Home