GreenishLady

Originally Blogging the Artist's Way. Thoughts, musings, experience of the 12-week course, January to March 2006. And after that?.... Life, creativity, writing. Where does it all meet? Here, perhaps.

Saturday, April 08, 2006

Real life

has days where you open the matchbox upside down,
everyone in the carpark is driving against the arrows except you,
the rain starts after you lock your hat in the car,
days when bed all day sounds like a good option,
days when the phone rings all the while you’re finding your door-key, and stops just as you get in.

Real life, then, has days where just as you step outside, God’s fingers spill light through the clouds, and the first bumblebee of the year does a fly-by and that’s real, too. It’s got surprises and unexpectedness and maybes, buts and plenty of ifs in it. Real life has lessons, oh, yes, lessons, and gold and fake gold, and more lessons. It’s got bruises and kisses and friends who call up out of the blue three years later, leaving you thinking Life is good, Life is good. Real life has farts in it. I’m sorry but it has. And sometimes people who are very respectable in the outside world will wipe their nose with their sleeve. That’s real life too. I used to feel, as a teenager, that I couldn’t wait for my life to start – my real life, that is. I didn’t know I was in it. Didn’t know then that that was it. That was my chance to be 13, 14, 15. When did I start to claim that life? It happened gradually. Dawned on me. This is it. This is my life. I’d just better live it, grab it, be glad of it, glean the gold from it. This is real. This is Life.


More Sunday Scribblings Here ... And yes, I know it's Saturday. But they're flexible. It is the weekend!

16 Comments:

At 8/4/06 11:05 pm, Blogger eliza said...

this is fabulous. is it really a five (or is it ten) minute scribble? terrific. full of life juice. i also appreciate the reminder that "this is it. this is my life."

 
At 9/4/06 12:46 am, Blogger kellie said...

Great post! To me, this is one of the most important things in life--understanding that it isn't a rehearsal. I especially love these lines:

I didn’t know I was in it. Didn’t know then that that was it. That was my chance to be 13, 14, 15. When did I start to claim that life? It happened gradually.

 
At 9/4/06 12:56 am, Blogger Cate said...

I LOVE this piece. I've been thinking (and journaling) so much about those days when I was waiting for my life to "begin." You sum those feelings up magnificently. I agree with Tess; my favorite line was: "I didn't know I was in it." Thank you for sharing your marvelous writing and your thoughts!

 
At 9/4/06 2:45 am, Blogger Tinker said...

This is wonderful...there are so many really lovely lines and so much truth here!

 
At 9/4/06 11:33 am, Blogger Claudia said...

Yes, so much that sounds right in your post. This really is it and we should love it, appreciate it, revel in it!

 
At 9/4/06 2:25 pm, Blogger gkgirl said...

this is great...
i love the idea of
waiting for your real life to start
without realizing you were already
in it...

and then the gradual claiming
of that life...
i love this...

:)

 
At 9/4/06 3:35 pm, Blogger meghan said...

I agree with some of the other comments. The like about not knowing I was already in it really resonated with me. There is so much putting off and waiting until that happens in our lives. I appreciate the reminder that this is IT!

 
At 9/4/06 3:37 pm, Blogger Jennifer S. said...

"This is it."

That's it!

 
At 9/4/06 4:03 pm, Blogger Kara said...

I love this - it has so many great lines - they are almost poetic. It makes me feel good - after reading it I'm ready to fully embrace life. Thanks!

 
At 9/4/06 6:08 pm, Blogger Rebekah said...

I love the lilt of your voice here, the reality, the wandering from thought to thought and perfectly summing up the whole This line "Real life has lessons, oh, yes, lessons, and gold and fake gold, and more lessons." is so very true, and resonates with me - as do so many others. So glad I visited today!

 
At 9/4/06 6:43 pm, Blogger Joy Eliz said...

What a fantastic writing!
Thanks for the comment and link for my illo friday...you truely have a gift with words:)

 
At 9/4/06 10:49 pm, Blogger harmonyinline said...

Wonderful post. Sometimes I feel like I am spending my hole life waiting for it to start.

 
At 9/4/06 11:01 pm, Blogger Endment said...

I am enjoying reading all of the posts on "real life" Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts.

 
At 10/4/06 7:04 am, Blogger Laini Taylor said...

Such a great, fun, lilting spirit to your reflections! Who would want life without the blemishes and farts of reality? How stodgy a starched-collar kind of life it would be!

 
At 10/4/06 7:35 pm, Blogger HoBess said...

I remember that teenager! She thought real life started as soon as her mother didn't have the ability to but in every day! "glean the gold from it." I like that a lot.

Thanks for your comments on my blog and for sharing your Sunday Scribbling. This made me smile.

 
At 10/4/06 9:57 pm, Blogger M said...

This is brilliant! Love it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home