GreenishLady

Originally Blogging the Artist's Way. Thoughts, musings, experience of the 12-week course, January to March 2006. And after that?.... Life, creativity, writing. Where does it all meet? Here, perhaps.

Sunday, May 07, 2006

Sunday Scribblings --- My Shoes

I have problem feet. They have spread and stretched and developed unpleasant conditions (requiring morning and evening anointing) over the past few years. I can wear high heels, but I just can't walk very far (as in to the next room) in them. So my shoes are of necessity flat, broad and often very unattractive. I do what I can. I buy in red or purple if those colours are available. My everyday shoes in recent times are pink. They're beginning to look a little the worse for wear, but they have the shape of me in them, so I keep putting them on - one more time, for old time's sake, and promising myself to retire them tomorrow. But I have decided when I go off on my trip next week, they're not coming. They can stay home and mind the house, sit under my kitchen rocker in the place where they always wait for me, and when I return, maybe they'll become my yard shoes - the shoes I have handy to slip my feet into when it's raining, I need to go to the bins, or rush to the washing-line, and I'm in slippers.

This weekend, I bought two new pairs of shoes. On the left, the gold-ish flatties will probably be known as my Cinderella shoes. They took me to my first formal ball on Friday night! I know - 48 years old, and only now venturing into the grown-up world! I woke on Friday morning, thinking it would take a fairy Godmother to make me feel like going to that ball. I had a task to perform that day that wasn't pleasant, and I thought I would just want to go home and hide in my bed after it. I signed the final papers for my separation agreement before lunch on Friday. But the Godmother must have been hovering, because instead of heading home, I found myself shopping. I bought an absolutely kick-ass outfit and those shoes, and I went to the ball, and I enjoyed myself, and I danced, I danced, I danced. Cinderella! But I didn't rush home by midnight. And there was no Prince. But that was the whole point! Who needs a prince? I had my friends, and music, and I felt good, good, good, in my shiny little shoes. And next morning - I still had both shoes, so they will live to dance another day, I suspect!

On the right, the first white shoes I've bought since my wedding shoes! I've just realised that. Well, these are to accompany me when I set off on my California/Oregon oddyssey next week. There has to be something new in the suitcase, so there will be green trousers and these shoes (and probably a few other items acquired along the way). I've never been across the Atlantic. This is hugely exciting for me, and I will be glad to be treading that land in comfy shoes. Yes, I'll bring more shoes ( Last year, on a 4-day trip to Barcelona, I carried 6 pairs of footwear!). I will have flip-flops. I will have runners. Maybe walking-boots? And I will have a pair of little gold sandals that look like just a few threads across my feet, and feel great and make me forget that I have problem feet. Because, problem feet or not, in the right shoes, they can take me anywhere, and if they look a bit odd at times, or call out for a bit of attention, they deserve it. Those feet, those shoes.

So watch out! Here I come! In my travellin' shoes.



Who else had something to say about their shoes? Check out Sunday Scribblings here

10 Comments:

At 8/5/06 5:27 am, Blogger Tinker said...

Woo-hoo! Way to go, Imelda - to the ball! I loved how you tied in the Cinderella theme.
I'm so excited for you, coming across the Atlantic for the first time - I hope you can kick up your heels while you're over here and have a great time! Enjoy!

 
At 8/5/06 5:41 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Poignant--and fun. I like the shoes having the shape of you. I also have problem feet; see a podiatrist frequently, but won't do surgery. How I wish we could meet on your California sojourn, but as I recall, you aren't coming into Southern California. Yes?

 
At 8/5/06 11:09 am, Blogger paris parfait said...

Am so glad you went to the ball, Cinderella! And wish you all the best in your trip West. I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time, wearing all your shoes!

 
At 8/5/06 1:42 pm, Blogger Left-handed Trees... said...

I loved the "Cinderella" shoes--they look like such fun...and the white ones seem as though they will travel well, but then, so do you!

 
At 8/5/06 4:35 pm, Blogger Laini Taylor said...

Delightful -- I love the Cinderella story (sans prince), and the shoes, and I love the way you've personified your dear pink shoes like an old dog that will sleep by the hearth or something. Amazing how shoes become personalities like that! And Oregon, eh? Let me know if you'll be in Portland any length of time -- love to meet you for coffee at the best bookstore in the world!

 
At 8/5/06 10:24 pm, Blogger Kim G. said...

Wonderful post and I love the idea of our old shoes "minding the house" for us while we're gone. It's sad when they loose that new-shoe feeling and sparkle.

So glad for you that you're looking forward to your trip! Hope you enjoy Oregon - we've been having a run of nice weather so I hope it will stay for you. I'll echo Laini's invitation for coffee if you're in the Portland area. And you must visit Powell's if you have the chance! :-)

 
At 9/5/06 10:28 am, Blogger justjohanna said...

great entry. sounds like you are about to embark on a wonderful journey.

 
At 9/5/06 8:27 pm, Blogger Rebekah said...

So much to comment on in this blog. Firstly, I love that you have PINK shoes that you wear so much they have "the shape of me in them." Not any bland color - PINK! I adore that you went to the ball in your new slippers. You are on the brink of new things in your life and you started out oh so appropriately by dancing the night away. Lovely. I hope you have a wonderful time in our country, that we all behave appropriately and that you go home with good and kind things to say about the U.S. Can't wait to hear about your trip!

 
At 10/5/06 8:28 am, Blogger daringtowrite said...

I'm just catching up with you after falling so far behind with my blog reading. Good to hear that you are coming over this way for a while.

 
At 10/5/06 2:37 pm, Blogger eliza said...

love the cinderelly shoes! and the story. happy travels.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home