GreenishLady

Originally Blogging the Artist's Way. Thoughts, musings, experience of the 12-week course, January to March 2006. And after that?.... Life, creativity, writing. Where does it all meet? Here, perhaps.

Thursday, March 09, 2006

Thursday Poem

I went flicking in a few anthologies, to see what would catch my eye. This one is by Maura Dooley, and it really called me.

What Every Woman Should Carry

My mother gave me the prayer to Saint Theresa.
I added a used tube ticket, kleenex,
several Polo mints (furry), a tampon, pesetas,
a florin. Not wishing to be presumptuous,
not trusting you either, a pack of 3.
I have a pen. There is space for my guardian
angel, she has to fold her wings. Passport.
A key. Anguish, at what I said/didn't say
when once you needed/didn't need me. Anadin.
A credit card. His face the last time,
my impatience, my useless youth.
That empty sack, my heart. A box of matches.

Maura Dooley

5 Comments:

At 9/3/06 7:25 pm, Blogger liz elayne lamoreux said...

"she has to fold her wings"
oh i love this...another beautiful poem. thank you for sharing this today...
it almost makes me think that we should turn this into a creative exercise and write what we carry...

 
At 9/3/06 7:29 pm, Blogger GreenishLady said...

Yes, it's a lovely exercise in fact. I've done it a few times, and unpacked some pretty unusual items each time!

 
At 10/3/06 5:42 am, Blogger eliza said...

man! another great one. thanks.

 
At 10/3/06 11:52 am, Blogger Sky said...

:)

 
At 10/3/06 6:11 pm, Blogger Cate said...

This is just a wonderful poem! Even though she doesn't specifically say "in her pocketbook," I imagine a purse overflowing with interesting items. As a purse girl, I dig that!

I'm so glad you shared it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home