GreenishLady

Originally Blogging the Artist's Way. Thoughts, musings, experience of the 12-week course, January to March 2006. And after that?.... Life, creativity, writing. Where does it all meet? Here, perhaps.

Friday, May 09, 2008

Friday's Feast

Appetizer
When someone smiles at you, do you smile back?

Yes, I like to think I do. I've got lovely memories of the sudden smiles of strangers, the "Hello"s people might exchange as we pass on the street. One woman approaching me on a Berkeley street, while I was exploring and obviously looking through newborn eyes at everything, had the hugest, most welcoming grin on her face, and delighted me with her "How you doin'?" greeting. Did I smile? Oh yes, and I answered "I'm doing just fine! Just fine!"

Soup
Describe the flooring in your home. Do you have carpet, hardwood, vinyl, a mix?

I recovered all the floors in my house less than 2 years ago, ripping out and dumping old, stained and worn carpet. I replaced it with oak boards in living-room and hallway - warm and welcoming when they're nicely swept clear of dust. My study/office has purple twill carpeting. My kitchen has vinyl that most people mistake for genuine stone flags. On the stairs and landing, a tweedy beige/cream carpet. In the guest-room, a plain deep-rose-pink carpet and in my room purple carpeting that's soft underfoot. My little therapy room has a plain gold carpet. I don't like patterned carpets, so got my wish with either wood or plain colours throughout the house. Bathroom has a mosaic-tile patterned vinyl. Complete picture?


Salad
Write a sentence with only 5 words, but all of the words have to start with the first letter of your first name.

I'm imagining India: immediate IS.


Main Course
Do you know anyone whose life has been touched by adoption?

Yes. I remember people at school about whom I heard the whisper "She's adopted." It seemed the only way someone could be an only child.


I have an adopted first cousin, about whom we were all told "She's been specially chosen to join our family".


My cousin and his wife have just returned home from Vietnam with their new daughter, Kate Nu-Thi, who is a beauty, a wonder, a delight to them and to all of us.


When I realised I would not have more children, adoption was a question for my husband and I. He honestly said he wasn't sure he could feel the same about an adopted child as he did about our son. In retrospect, it seems it was a wise thing that we didn't go ahead and try to adopt a daughter.


The person who always comes to my mind when I think of the topic of adoption, though, is a friend who was raised as an only child by a rather bitter and not very affectionate adoptive mother. This friend has always expressed her sense of loneliness, and her envy of my sisters and I for having one another. She longed all her life for a sister. In recent years, she has learnt that her birth-mother has five daughters, with whom she is not allowed contact, and her birth-father, who is now dead, was also the father of five other daughters. She has ten sisters, none of whom know she exists. It just seems the cruellest of situations to me. So near and yet so far.


Dessert
Name 2 blue things.

The recycling bins used in our area, and the feet of the blue-footed booby.


------------------------------------

By the way, the post with my Paris pictures is HERE. Something went wrong whereby when I started to change font-size, I couldn't, couldn't get it changed back to smaller. So, I'm not shouting at you, just in case you think I am!

If you want to find all the other Friday Feasts, go on over HERE Enjoy!

Labels:

22 Comments:

At 9/5/08 12:09 pm, Blogger Alexander M Zoltai said...

What a totally cool idea !

Gonna pay more attention to your blog!!

~ Alex

p.s. Are you a writer?

 
At 9/5/08 12:54 pm, Blogger Ivanhoe said...

My name starts with "I" as well and I never seen a blue footed booby before :o) Have a great Friday!

 
At 9/5/08 1:12 pm, Blogger Kelley said...

This was great! I love you elaboration on your answers, mine is pretty boring in comparison. The booby sure is a pretty bird!!

 
At 9/5/08 1:58 pm, Blogger Vashonnte said...

wow i love that bird! so cute! and i think i would love your house cause pink and purple are my favorite colors!

 
At 9/5/08 3:26 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for visting my blog! I love the pick of the blue-footed boobie, too cute! ::hugs::

 
At 9/5/08 3:49 pm, Blogger Linda said...

Oooo purple carpet! I love purple!!

 
At 9/5/08 4:48 pm, Blogger Tiffany Aller said...

You're the second person who mentioned vinyl flooring that resembles stone - I'm so intrigued! :-)

 
At 9/5/08 4:52 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My partner isn't the biological father of either of my children, having had testicular cancer at an early age (and for the third time last year) he's never had children. Yet he is the most amazingly loving father, and our children simply adore him. It's funny, people always comment to him about "his children" in ways no one ever did with their biological father.

I feel for your friend who wanted a sister, it does seem such a cruel situation indeed.

I love the mention of how special an adoption is, that "bonus" brother or sister that's so very special.

Oh my I've never seen a blue footed booby before, that's complete awesomeness!

And thank you, thank you for taking the time to drop by my blog.

 
At 9/5/08 5:07 pm, Blogger Lady North said...

This is such a neat site - I truly love the Friday Feast idea! The blue footed booby still cracks me up! I remember seeing one in a bird sanctuary years ago and I thought for a moment, the silly thing had stepped into a blue paint bucket! Flooring - belive it or not- right in the middle of trying to decide what kind of wood laminate I want to put down after ripping out grotty 17 year old carpet! Olive wood sounds perfect if I can get it. When I started to paint this beige box I am currently reno'ing (yes Beige..every nook and cranny..urk) I just brought in the provencal colours I love, stonewash yellow and cassis sunset and lemon walls. My artist friend said, "Don't forget to add BLUE". So I am on the hunt for the perfect blue for my stairwell.
Waving fondly from another Island
Thank you for reading my blog as well! I hope it provided some amusment.
LN

 
At 9/5/08 5:14 pm, Blogger ShannonW said...

I really enjoyed reading your Friday's Feast! Thank you for sharing!

 
At 9/5/08 5:48 pm, Blogger Kim said...

Great feast! I'm having fun reading everyone's Salad. How interesting they all are. I had a hard time with mine, "K".

It's wonderful reading all the adoption stories.

Come on over and feast with me.

 
At 9/5/08 7:45 pm, Blogger Judy said...

Happy Friday and thanks for coming by! I love your blue-footed booby. :-)

 
At 9/5/08 7:56 pm, Blogger Clare said...

Great feast , thanks for stopping by my blog.

 
At 10/5/08 1:25 am, Blogger Diane M. Roth said...

I love what you say about adoption. why someone would adopt and then not be very affectionate is beyond me. I always wanted a child but could not.

 
At 10/5/08 9:04 am, Blogger Caroline said...

That was an interesting set of answers...

The adopted woman with so many unknown sisters is especially heart-wrenching.

And I love your blue-footed booby photo!

 
At 10/5/08 12:03 pm, Blogger Sharon said...

Love the 'feast'!
Your mention of adoption especially touched my heart. I could not have children...lost three...last one in my 7th month...18 hrs. of labor only to come home with a vase of flowers...
Sooo... we were fortunate to adopt a boy and a girl five years apart.
They have been the joys of our lives! They have always known they were adopted, and our daughter even contacted her birth mother.
And thanks again for stopping by my blog!

 
At 10/5/08 7:12 pm, Blogger Forgetfulone said...

Oh, I love the feet on that bird! Enjoyed your feast. Sorry I'm late visiting. Thanks for stopping by mine.

 
At 11/5/08 2:52 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"the feet of the blue-footed booby"

adorable!

 
At 11/5/08 4:14 am, Blogger Jodi said...

Purple carpets??? Oh wow, we would get along great!!! I LOVE purple anything! Thanks for stopping by. Enjoyed feasting with you!

 
At 12/5/08 9:21 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

great feast! i love that booby picture but my fave is your appetizer. no one has smiled at me that way. your answers are very detailed which I love!!

 
At 12/5/08 1:56 pm, Blogger Michael said...

Lots of interesting answers! :o)

When people smile at you like that (and even say something so warm and friendly) it really does bright your whole day. We all ought to do that more often. :o)

 
At 13/5/08 8:09 pm, Blogger Karen said...

What thoughtful responses--and what a delightful photo at the end--makes me want to dance!

And oh how I'm envying you your floors...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home