GreenishLady

Originally Blogging the Artist's Way. Thoughts, musings, experience of the 12-week course, January to March 2006. And after that?.... Life, creativity, writing. Where does it all meet? Here, perhaps.

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

This is the day...

I was in the shower at 6.50 this morning, and the thought struck me.... At just this time 22 years ago, I became a mother. That's right. My son was born May 20, 1986.

I didn't see him today. He's away celebrating and visiting one of his oldest friends in Edinburgh. Last year, he was in the middle of exams, and wasn't doing any celebrating, but as it was his 21st birthday, I couldn't bear to let the day pass without seeing him, so I drove to Dublin, we had lunch, and I drove back. It was worth it, to be with him on that day.

This boy (man!) is so special. Of course, every son is to their mother. Well, he is! And I'm so glad he's in my life, and so proud of him.

At just this time 22 years ago, I was lying in a state of exhilarated bliss staring at a little blue-wrapped bundle in my arms, singing a nonsense-song to him, with words that ran along the lines of "You're my baby, I'm your Mummy, You're my baby boy, my bonny, bonny baby boy, and I'm your Mummy...." and wondering how the nurses could expect me to ever want to sleep, ever close my eyes and shut off that view of the most perfect being that had ever been seen on planet Earth. I felt like the luckiest woman in the world.

I still do.

Labels:

12 Comments:

At 20/5/08 10:54 pm, Blogger SweetAnnee said...

Happy Birthday to
your baby boy!!

 
At 20/5/08 10:55 pm, Blogger Annie said...

What a lovely tribute to your boy. My boy lives away from home too and celebrated his 18th birthday last month. They do grow up quickly don't they?

 
At 20/5/08 11:54 pm, Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

Hi Imelda,
It's so precious to read the depth of your love. Happy Birth Day you two! XXOO

 
At 21/5/08 12:07 am, Blogger Rosa said...

Happy birthday to your "baby" boy. Isn't it wonderful to think back at the exact moment like that. Brings tears to the eyes! sniffle. xo

 
At 21/5/08 12:35 am, Blogger January said...

Happy Birthday to your baby boy!

 
At 21/5/08 4:54 am, Blogger Laume said...

Ahhhh, lucky mom and lucky son. They grow up so fast, huh! I just had a "gasp" moment when I realized one of my grandkids will be FOUR this year. It didn't make me feel old when my kids started having babies but, when my kids have KIDS - ack!

 
At 21/5/08 6:05 am, Blogger terri said...

what a lovely mom. i feel the same way about my boys. sometimes i just lose my breath thinking about them, and how fortunate i am to have such amazing creatures in my life.

 
At 21/5/08 8:04 am, Blogger Caroline said...

Wow what a wonderful way of explaining the feeling of exhilaration of childbirth to me who has not and never will have a child!

Thank you!

And Happy Birthday (slightly late) to your son, and Happy Motherhood Day to you.

 
At 21/5/08 12:10 pm, Blogger Naturegirl said...

Ahhh....what a wonderful story!Yes the world changed when our little boys were born!Happiness to you and your son!

"Always a little boy to her
No matter how old he's grown
Her eyes are blind to the strands of gray
She's deaf to his manly tone
His voice is the same as the day he asked,"what makes the cat purr?"
Ever and ever he's just the same...
a little boy to her."

 
At 21/5/08 12:54 pm, Blogger Ravenous Reader said...

Sons are so special, aren't they? I know just how you feel :)

 
At 21/5/08 7:09 pm, Blogger Karen said...

Beautiful--happy birthday to your boy!

 
At 21/5/08 11:29 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy birthday to your son!

Thank you so much for visiting my blog and saying hello. I think you are the first Irish visitor who has left a comment. Most visitors are Australian or American.

I had a look at your cards blog and I think they are amazing. I am looking forward to returning and seeing more of your work.

Kate

 

Post a Comment

<< Home