GreenishLady

Originally Blogging the Artist's Way. Thoughts, musings, experience of the 12-week course, January to March 2006. And after that?.... Life, creativity, writing. Where does it all meet? Here, perhaps.

Monday, May 12, 2008

What's in a Name?

Peta, over at CreateCraft has asked that people post about the inspiration for the name of their blogs, and go comment to let her know they've posted. There's a giveaway of a knitted scarf involved.

I've mentioned in a previous post where my Blog name came from. It's firstly, because I'm Irish (green, you know!), and when I was scouting around for a name to use, and just beginning the whole amazing adventure that is blogging, I felt very unschooled and Green, afraid of appearing silly or naive - Green, right? Plus, while I don't have a zero carbon footprint, (I drive a petrol-thirsty car, and I travel by air whenever I get a chance to go abroad, but there are good reasons for both, related to financial constraints and sanity), I do care a great deal for the environment. I'm Green(ish). I have a worm-compost bin. I go to the bottle-bank, the can-bank, etc. I do not replace appliances unless they have died. I snuggle in a blanket rather than crank up the heat. Most of my lightbulbs are CFL. OK, OK, I don't always buy local food. OK, maybe I'm only slightly Green(ish), but I'm entitled to the name. And Lady? I don't appreciate being called a lady anywhere else. Elsewhere, I'm a woman. I figure I earned that title. But here, for some reason "lady" seemed to fit... So, there you have it, the thinking behind the wildly original and creative title for my blog..... GreenishLady.

Interesting question, Peta. I often wonder, but seldom ask, so thank you for asking. I'm looking forward to seeing some of the answers!

Labels:

15 Comments:

At 13/5/08 5:06 am, Blogger Christy Woolum said...

Very interesting . I think I am greenish also. I try, but because of where I live I have to use lots of gas....grrrr!

 
At 13/5/08 8:25 am, Blogger Caroline said...

Good to know it wasn't that you were feeling off-colour the day you named your blog!

 
At 13/5/08 4:53 pm, Blogger Deirdre said...

It's a perfect name.

I'd like to talk to you about the worm bin. I like the idea - except for the worms. Ick. We have a regular compost bin, but I know worms would be faster.

 
At 13/5/08 5:43 pm, Blogger Amber said...

That IS a really good question. I like that question, so may swipe it for my own blog...

I named my blog The Believing Soul because that is mostly how I think of myself...That not matter what life brings, I always end up on my feet, "believing" for a better life and in the good, in myself. and also in the fact that God loves me, no matter what, and no matter how often I use the "f" word. ;)

I want to start a compost ben, too. Kory thinks I am nuts. He is soooo not "green". I can't figure it out, only that he is just wanting to be rebel.

:)

 
At 13/5/08 7:59 pm, Blogger Karen said...

I'd wondered, and now I know! Now I'm wondering if the contest is still open...

 
At 13/5/08 10:57 pm, Blogger Pam Mattick Art and Stuff said...

Take a peek at the Green post on my blog :D
I'm hosting an "I Live In My Own Little World But It's Ok They Know Me Here" photo challenge. Show us where you sit & write your blog and all the other special things around your space. Indoor and outdoor. I am giving one of my collages, via email, to each person who joins in so let me know in a comment on the Own Little World blog. Anyone is welcome to join.
Hope to see your Own Little World...
Pam
I'd love to see your photos from Ireland.

 
At 13/5/08 11:37 pm, Blogger terri said...

hey imelda...thanks for popping by to wish me well. i've been reading your blog, but just haven't had the energy to talk back much. love to you.

 
At 14/5/08 3:15 am, Blogger Diane M. Roth said...

it's a great name, on MANY levels.

 
At 14/5/08 11:21 am, Blogger nonizamboni said...

Very interesting--glad to get to know you better. I appreciated the part about woman vs. lady too.
Thanks for sharing!

 
At 14/5/08 6:42 pm, Blogger Judy Merrill-Smith said...

What a good question to ask, and to answer. I always assumed the "green" had to do with being Irish, but it's nice to hear the rest of the story. I think I'll go put my blog name story on my blog right now!

 
At 15/5/08 12:43 am, Blogger Becca said...

I like this question, and will definitely answer it on my blog!

I also assumed "Greenish" was for Irish :) But certainly the new eco-correct term fits too, from your description.

I've been trying to think greener myself. But a worm bin?? I've never heard of that. Sounds a bit icky, so I applaud you for trying it!

 
At 15/5/08 12:41 pm, Blogger Lila Rostenberg said...

Interesting story! I have a "color named" blog too...I'll have to visit Peta and psot about it.

 
At 15/5/08 9:28 pm, Blogger Deb said...

Hi - I have read your blog quietly until now. I like how your name means a variety of things and it shows the thought you put into its creation. Green also represents life. I once took a personality test based on colors - and I was found to be 'green'. Blog names are interesting ~ and I bet at some point a book will be written about them. Take care.

 
At 16/5/08 2:46 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

what a good way to get to know a little bit about how someone's mind works! i already thought that maybe greenish lady had to do with a love of nature and i can see that is here too. thanks for the thought provoking question....i'm going to have to try and remember what the heck i was thinking besides trying to come up with something no ones else had already claimed :)

 
At 18/5/08 9:13 am, Blogger inkberryblue said...

...and what a beautiful shade of green you are. =]
It's fun reading everyone's stories.
By the way, there's an award waiting for you over at inkberryblue.
Happy Sunday!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home