GreenishLady

Originally Blogging the Artist's Way. Thoughts, musings, experience of the 12-week course, January to March 2006. And after that?.... Life, creativity, writing. Where does it all meet? Here, perhaps.

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Writers Island: My Imaginary Life

There is a cabin in the woods - not too deep in the woods, just far enough off the path and the road to be a quiet and peaceful place, and screened from public view by oaks and flowering trees. Apple blossom scents the air in spring, and the sounds of traffic are far enough away for the song of all the birdlife to be the constant music of this place. Yes, a stream burbles nearby, and the wildlife that abounds is healthy and well-behaved. Deer come by, to eat nettles and other weeds, but not the jasmine and bougainvillea that drape my porch.

I live here, in rooms that are airy in summer and cosy in winter. I have everything here that I need for a comfortable existence. At one side of the cabin, an area of ground has been cleared and enriched with many years of home-made compost. The range of vegetables and fruit that it produces is staggering. I make use of everything that grows, cooking and freezing, cooking and freezing.

I spend days alone, happy in my own company, with my books and writing, with colours and yarn, with paper, scissors and glue. Then, visitors arrive, and we pass time together chatting, chatting. We make SoulCollage. We walk. We take trips to the sea (which isn't far away); to the town (a town of modest size, but which has all the essentials for life: a library, a theatre and cinema, an place where good music and good art can be found, a great coffee-shop, a restaurant that I want to eat at more often than I can afford). Some visitors come for rest, some for activity. Whichever it is, we time it so that their needs and mine coincide.

While I have said that I live there alone, that is not strictly true, for my constant companion here is the magically-young-again Trixie, who has not only been made young, but become a dog who enjoys travelling so much that the flight to this wonderful corner of California didn't phase her a bit. She and I live contentedly in the place where my spirit is at peace, where my flesh and bones fit together inside my skin, where I breathe, and the air says "home".

------------------------------
This imaginary life comes to you courtesy of Writers Island, where the inaugural prompt was just that: My imaginary life.

Labels: , , ,

19 Comments:

At 11/9/07 12:28 pm, Blogger Becca said...

This sounds wonderful to me (very much like my own imaginary life, actually!) And of course, it has to include the four footed friends.

Beautiful :)

 
At 11/9/07 12:35 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is such a great life. How I wish to drop everything and live this way.

 
At 11/9/07 3:40 pm, Blogger Lea said...

I loved this walk through your woods to the cozy place that you reside... thank you for taking me along... sitting on that porch with your sweet puppy nuzzling my hand...

 
At 11/9/07 4:16 pm, Blogger Julie said...

I can't imagine a more perfect place to be: a place where your soul is content.

Julie

 
At 11/9/07 4:27 pm, Blogger Tumblewords: said...

How perfect! The distance from annoyances, the closeness to enjoyables. I loved that friends come to chat - soul collages (great).

 
At 11/9/07 4:32 pm, Blogger Left-handed Trees... said...

can i please come along? This sounds like heaven...
Love,
D.

 
At 11/9/07 5:07 pm, Blogger Jo said...

What a beautifully expressed dream.

 
At 11/9/07 5:16 pm, Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

If I'm real quiet can I live there too? lol Beautiful and attainable.

 
At 11/9/07 6:36 pm, Blogger Amber said...

I would love to have a house like that, under the trees. *happy sigh*
That is what I want.

:)

 
At 11/9/07 8:40 pm, Blogger Deb said...

Ahh, what a place for you and that adorable dog. I wouldn't mind a visit there with my young-again dog.

 
At 11/9/07 9:25 pm, Blogger Gill said...

OH! How amazing. What a great thing...the perfect life.
xo
Blue

 
At 11/9/07 11:02 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your imaginary life sounds like one I'd like to have for myself - though Trixie I'm sure would much rather stay with you there :-)
What a lovely image you paint with you words. May I come visit you there some day?

 
At 11/9/07 11:03 pm, Blogger paris parfait said...

That cabin sounds like a little slice of heaven! Thanks for providing us with a glimpse!

 
At 12/9/07 8:01 pm, Blogger Pauline said...

I want to come visit, real or not! I live close to your description, though not as isolated as I might like. You come visit me, too!

 
At 12/9/07 10:07 pm, Blogger Joyce Ellen Davis said...

Sounds absolutely wonderful. I want one just like it!

...but I think I want a cook and a gardener, too....

 
At 13/9/07 2:41 pm, Blogger Rob Kistner said...

What a truly wonderful place -- sounds like heaven!

I'm so glad you're and islander!

 
At 13/9/07 7:30 pm, Blogger Kara said...

Imagination is so wonderful and you write yours out in a way I can feel myself there with you.

 
At 16/9/07 7:28 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds so wonderful. Maybe I don't need to live in San Francisco ... need a roommate?

 
At 18/9/07 11:20 pm, Blogger Deirdre said...

Sounds like the perfect place. Sigh.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home