GreenishLady

Originally Blogging the Artist's Way. Thoughts, musings, experience of the 12-week course, January to March 2006. And after that?.... Life, creativity, writing. Where does it all meet? Here, perhaps.

Saturday, June 14, 2008

June Honeymoon - Celebrating a special Bride


Terri, at her Tinker Art blog is hosting a special gathering today - a celebration of brides. The past two years have seen three special weddings in my family. My neice ,Nicola, married John in September 2006. My nephew, Glenn, married Claire in July of last year, but I know they will all forgive me if I tell you the most special bride in my life has to be my sister Aileen. She married Mike in September last year.

Just after Nicola's September 2006 wedding , Aileen and I went off to spend a week in the south of France. It was a wonderful holiday, but we had an unexpected third party along on the trip. - The man she'd been introduced to quite recently (at a performance of John B. Keane's play, The Matchmaker!) was in constant touch by text-message. There I was, driving along unfamiliar routes, relying on my sister to spot roadsigns, and when I'd ask "Is it the next exit?", I'd glance over to see her simpering and smiling at her phone, oblivious to our location, caught up in the sweet nothings being exchanged.

Fast forward six months, and on her 48th birthday, on a trip to Paris, Mike presented her with a pretty opal engagement ring, and plans were made. Their wedding last September was a wonderful day for our two families. Aileen gained not just a husband, but each of his five children has taken a special place in her heart too, and she has been warmly welcomed by his beautiful mother and his siblings.

When my sister stood up to speak at the reception, there were tears in many eyes, she spoke from such a deep place in her heart - very briefly, (and against the advice of our older sister, she spoke without notes or practice). She reminded those of us who have known her for a long time how she had often wished for someone special in her life; that, although she had not been unhappy with her life, she had felt the absence; and that she hadn't realised that the wait was because she was waiting for the time to be right for Mike to come into her life. "I just love him to bits!" she told us. We know.


And he loves her. The tenderness of their love is a sweet thing to witness. Will you celebrate with me the happiness that has come into my sister's life?

It was a day of solemn vows, of meeting new family, of sharing good food together in celebration. It was a day of great joy, and a day of moments of utter fun: See the bride returning from her outdoor photo-shoot with the aforementioned older sister?

Congratulations and a wish for long lives of happiness to any June brides out there!
Join the receiving line to meet the other brides at Tinker's Blog!

Labels: ,

18 Comments:

At 14/6/08 10:13 am, Blogger Miss Robyn said...

thankyou for visiting my blog via Tinkers.. seems we have a wonderful gal friend in common :)

I love this story and to read about your sisters new husband makes my heart flutter.. I love when I read 'true' love stories like this..
(I too had a velvet coat when I was a little girl.. mine was dark red !)

 
At 14/6/08 12:23 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a sweet, romantic tale, Imelda - and your sister is such a beautiful bride!
I do love the photo of the two sisters returning from the photo shoot - I can almost hear the happy laughter, between them.
Wishing your sister and her husband - and all of the other newlyweds in your family - many, many years of happily wedded bliss!

Thank you so much for joining in this little wedding dance! Your words dance on the page, divinely as always~XOXO

 
At 14/6/08 12:49 pm, Blogger Caroline said...

What a wonderful couple of years for wedding goers in your family! (I do so love a wedding.)

How wonderful to have met at The Matchmaker too...

Your sister looks SO happy and content.

 
At 14/6/08 12:58 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Imelda,
This touches me so. makes me tear up. So happy for your sister. I share in her joy!

You both look so happy together!
xo
Constance

 
At 14/6/08 2:43 pm, Blogger Deirdre said...

It's made me all teary-eyed reading this. Best wishes to your sister and her husband.

 
At 14/6/08 2:53 pm, Blogger gma said...

I join you in a toast for your lovely sister and her new husband. Rumi said: "Lovers don't meet somewhere along the way. They're in one anothers souls from the beginning."

 
At 14/6/08 5:51 pm, Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

What a beautiful bride Imelda. I loved the romantic courtship and had to laugh at your co-pilot story. lol

Cheers to love!

 
At 14/6/08 6:35 pm, Blogger Lisa Oceandreamer Swifka said...

I swear I have a lump in my throat after reading this most lovely story. It's something books are written about and movies are made. they found one anothers soul mates and it shows in her happy face.
So nice to meet you.
I have shared my own wedding story for Tinkers party.

 
At 14/6/08 6:36 pm, Blogger Lisa Oceandreamer Swifka said...

Imelda,stupid me wrote "so nice to meet you" as if we don't know one another.........chalk it up to menopause. HA!!!!!

 
At 14/6/08 9:44 pm, Blogger artbrat said...

I loved reading the story of your sisters love and marriage. Its a very special thing to marry into a "family". What a blessing for all of you.

 
At 14/6/08 10:05 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for visiting hope you will return. Love reading and seeing about your sister's love story.

 
At 15/6/08 1:14 am, Blogger anno said...

What a beautiful story -- and I love the pictures you've shared!

Usually, I feel like a hardened cynic, a real anti-romantic, but I'm finding that all these stories of weddings and true love are making me a little teary-eyed. They're shockingly affecting.

 
At 15/6/08 1:14 am, Blogger anno said...

Best wishes to all the newlyweds in your family!

 
At 15/6/08 4:36 am, Blogger Fran aka Redondowriter said...

Hey, I'm a marriage cynic, but I loved your story. So, blessings to your sis and husband. There is a small part of me that hangs on to Mr. Right coming along--again. Not likely at 70.

She was a beautiful bride and I love the photo of the two of you together.

 
At 15/6/08 3:28 pm, Blogger Tammie Lee said...

My heart is smiling as I read your sisters love story! May they experience a rich life full of love and happiness!

 
At 16/6/08 3:24 am, Blogger Becca said...

How lovely! I'm so happy for your sister, that she's found this joy for her life.

I love that photo of the two of you, running happily toward the future!

 
At 16/6/08 3:16 pm, Blogger Karen said...

Such a romantic story! I wish them all the best!

 
At 22/6/08 5:16 pm, Blogger AscenderRisesAbove said...

the running photo is a lot of fun and made me smile

 

Post a Comment

<< Home